Dual Battery Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Battery Set Up

I put together a portable dual battery setup in my van early this summer and thought some campers may be interested in what I did and how I did it.

I designed a rough sketch of what I wanted and my buddy "Engineer Dan" took the idea and ran with it.

I pretty much stole the idea from the Expedition Portal. Rather than mount my battery permanently, we used SO cord with quick connects. He made sure that the "hot" wire could never accidentally be plugged into a 110 outlet by disabling it.

We built the dual battery isolator setup unit at 9 PM the night before I left for a month long camping trip. It was not poor planning, rather he was tied up with remodeling his house.

Side view of portable battery box with 12 volt cigarette sockets.

Top View Of Dual Battery Isolator.

How To Wire A Dual Battery Setup (image from Expedition Portal)

I used the CTEK D250S as the battery isolator because it's a computerized smart 5 stage battery charger with the ability to add solar now or in the future. It cost more than most solenoid battery isolators. Solenoids and relays are good for isolating the batteries. I wanted a charger/charge controller.

We ran an ARB 62 liter fridge/freezer on freezer mode for almost 1 month. It has an automatic cut-off that shuts the unit down if the battery reaches 60%.

We did not make use of the 12 volt sockets as we plugged our Macbook books, iPhones, iPads, and cameras into the cigarette lighter sockets.

I used an 80 AH LifeLine battery that I purchased at Invertors R Us.

I like the CTEK D250S because it's easy to install and has a built in 5 stage battery charger and solar charge controller built in.

I looked at a lot of different options. If I mounted the batteries under the frame, I may have gone with 3 cheap $80 Costco (Interstate deep cycle marine batteries). That was way too much work for me. I got an estimate from a local marine electrical installer and his estimate came in at $2500!

My set up saved me time and makes it easy to charge the battery with shore power via the quick connects, add solar, and it's portable. I can move my portable power source to any vehicle or even inside my tent. My entire set up cost less $500 including the deep cycle battery.

Let me know if you have any specific questions either on this post or via PM.
    Last edited by markkee; 08-24-2015, 04:39 PM. Reason: typos
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Dual Battery Set Up

Nice MacGyvering there!

Comment

Thanks Mac. Planning was easy. Getting some time with my friend was more difficult. If I did it myself, I would have connected directly to the battery. The quick connect on the portable battery is nice. The guy who did the install said that a DC cable with quick connects would be better. We ran out of time and used the SO cord. He is part owner of a power supply company and he grabbed a 30 foot SO cord on the way out the door. He installed it in the dark.

I forgot to include another dual battery isolator kit that includes everything for about $130. It's the True Smart Battery Isolator.

Last edited by markkee; 08-24-2015, 04:38 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

If and when you want to get some great disconnects at a seriously great price, have a look at these guys.
        http://www.helmarparts.com/Battery_Connectors_s/114.htm
        They sell these way cheaper than any place I've found to date. I've got them on all my batteries for my trolling motors. Love 'em!

Comment

Thanks for the links. I like the Anderson connectors.
          sigpic

Comment

Nice little unit. I cobbled up a simpler portable battery awhile back, using a Marine battery (no marine battery is a true "Deep Cycle") from The Battery Source locally. I use a dual 12V socket and a 400W inverter with USB port. I charge it using an external charger. I do have to be more careful when using it so as to not discharge it more than the magic 50% amount.
            Eventually my conversion van will have a couple larger true deep cycle batteries mounted under the floor alongside the frame. I sure won't be going to any Marine installer - anything "Marine" is twice the cost of standard automotive grade. It's like "RV", prepare to spend the big bucks on you 'luxury' vehicle (in their eyes).
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

That's a clean setup, Markkee and perfect for your little "class c" . At 56 pounds just for the battery alone, it is definitely an RV power supply and not friendly for tenting. I wish they could get that AH rating at around 40 pounds for portability... Aah, technology!
              Last edited by tplife; 08-25-2015, 03:49 PM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                That's a clean setup, Markkee and perfect for your little "class c" . At 56 pounds just for the battery alone, it is definitely an RV power supply and not friendly for tenting. I wish they could get that AH rating at around 40 pounds for portability... Aah, technology!
                How about 16 pounds and 50 Amp hours? Of course you'll need a fat wallet to do it.
                http://store.starkpower.com/12V-50Ah...tery_p_42.html
                Last edited by MacGyver; 08-26-2015, 08:39 PM.

Comment

LOL, have to pass. Bought at a discount, my Optima AGM runs 75% of that cost and 2.6X the weight. Talk about deep pockets!!! Nice when money's no object, a really nice piece of hi-tec gear.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                  X