Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for family tent for two adults, 15 yr. old and 12 yr. old

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
    I am starting to change my mind about my Kodiak. I camp in the Rocky Mountains, so the stakes only lasted a couple of years, before I had to upgrade them. I had to change out the clips that are used as guy line tensioners. I had one of the spring rods snap on my while I was camping. Turns out they knew about the defect. If you have the black ones, then you have the upgraded version. If you have the silver ones, you have the old ones. This year, I have had to replace the guy lines and the stake bag has ripped apart at the bottom and is currently held together by duct tape.
    I fully expected this tent to last me 20 years, and we are only a 1/4 of the way there. The tent body is in good shape though.
    I've never liked many (if any) tensioning clips. In my mind, they're too rigid and put all of the stress on the tent, the fly or the tarp I'm using them on. That's why I've taken to putting bungee cords on every tie out. When the wind kicks up, or someone trips over them they take most of the stress, not whatever they're tied to.

For the pegs, maybe consider what I'm doing the next time I take out the Kodiak. Western Maryland is no slouch when it comes to rocky soil, so pounding all those stakes in is the worst part of setting the tent up. I have a cordless drill with me anyway, so I went to Home Depot and bought 20 eight-inch Spax bolts. I have a ton of fender washers in the parts drawers that I'll be using to secure the loops. No more pounding - or pulling at the end of the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      I've never liked many (if any) tensioning clips. In my mind, they're too rigid and put all of the stress on the tent, the fly or the tarp I'm using them on. That's why I've taken to putting bungee cords on every tie out. When the wind kicks up, or someone trips over them they take most of the stress, not whatever they're tied to.

For the pegs, maybe consider what I'm doing the next time I take out the Kodiak. Western Maryland is no slouch when it comes to rocky soil, so pounding all those stakes in is the worst part of setting the tent up. I have a cordless drill with me anyway, so I went to Home Depot and bought 20 eight-inch Spax bolts. I have a ton of fender washers in the parts drawers that I'll be using to secure the loops. No more pounding - or pulling at the end of the trip.

The bungee cord is a good idea. Where do you locate the bungee? Hooked on the tent guy out points or on the stake? Or do you rig it mid-line?

The drill-in stakes - ingenious!!! lol - I could get my son to pretend it was a pit stop competition at each tent pitch. ........wheeee wheeee wheeee - done!
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I usually put the bungee on the gear end and tie to trees or spikes. The trick is to find the bungee with the right amount of pull. You don't want it so light it doesn't pull enough to resist the wind or so heavy that it threatens to rip your gear.

The next time I'm going out is the end of September. If it's cold enough to warrant the heater, I'll let you know how the Spax bolts worked. If you get to it before I do, let us know how your son did in the time trials.

Comment

Bingo, keep in mind that a tent as large as that may present problems - it can be hard to find a campsite that large. I'm in favor of the two-tent solution with kids and adults.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

MacGyver - I am very curious to know how those screws work out. There was research done on the BPL website that indicated that pegs with flat surfaces performed better than cylindrical pegs. I don't think anybody except you has ever considered screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
              Bingo, keep in mind that a tent as large as that may present problems - it can be hard to find a campsite that large. I'm in favor of the two-tent solution with kids and adults.
              I agree with Irate Mormon, in our own experience at least. Tents with footprints bigger than 10 X 10 have fewer options as far as pitching location. In addition, they have a greater ratio of poles/sq. ft of "canvas" or polyester, lending them greater wind and rain integrity.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                MacGyver - I am very curious to know how those screws work out. There was research done on the BPL website that indicated that pegs with flat surfaces performed better than cylindrical pegs. I don't think anybody except you has ever considered screws.
                It makes sense that flat pegs hold better because they have more surface area. But I doubt backpackers will ever bother with screws, at least not the ones I'll be carrying. They're way too heavy. There are some aluminum tent screws called Peggy Pegs that I would love to try out, but they're not readily available in the U.S. and are insanely expensive - roughly $26 for two of 'em.

Comment

I have had the Kodiak flexbow 10x14 VX tent for a couple of years now, and, couldn't be happier with it. But, it meets my needs, criteria, and, style of camping. However, it is not ideal for everyone. It is made for close to your car style camping, or, motorized access backwoods camping. And, it must be securely staked down by design, it relies on tension for it's structure.

Pros: lots of space, excellent head room, quick set up, excellent weather protection, durable, sturdy, life time warranty.

Cons: Heavy, bulky even when rolled up, can't be stored damp for more than a couple days, must be staked down well.

Since you have a good while before you make a decision, I would suggest taking a few drives, and visit some local camping areas that you plan to visit. Get a good idea of the campsite sizes, the terrain, what type of soil, and, talk to other campers about their setup experiences. If you have a local outfitter that rents equipment, go see if they have something similar to what you are looking at, and rent it for a weekend. A few bucks spent now, would be better than a 500-1,000 dollar purchase you'll regret.

As for the guy line issues brougt up, that's one of the first things I replace on any tent. For just a few bucks, you can get good quality paracord that will last for years. I like to buy it in spools when I am near military surplus stores. A hundred foot bundle takes up very little space in the equipment, and, has countless uses at the campsite. It's almost as versatile as duct tape.

David

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                    Hi Bingo and Welcome to the Forum!

Since you have until next summer for your tent purchase...you have plenty of time to consider several options, research different tents, and, after deciding on possible brand/models...lurk and wait for a sale before you make your purchase.

That said...I'm going to ask you several questions which might help guide your search and also allow us to assist you. I'll also run some of my thoughts/opinions past you.

What type of camping do you like to do? (established campgrounds, etc.)

What seasons do you generally camp? (summer only? 3 seasons? In the future, do you see yourself expanding your camping window?

How long do you generally stay at a site? (do you stay for a week in one spot, weekend only campers, stay a couple of nights..then move to the next site, etc.)

What do you use for keeping off the ground while sleeping? (pads, air mattress, cots)
                    Will you continue to use that method of keeping off the ground or at sometime in the future, you might make a change (say from air mattress to cots)? That might change the equation as to what tent to get now...if you think you might change your sleep method in the future....perhaps the tent you select should accomodate that change and the space/size needs that change might entail (ie. cots require more vertical walls).

Have you considered getting the kids their own tent to sleep in...with you and the spouse in another separate tent? At your kid's current ages and adding another year by next summer, a separate tent for them to hang out in and sleep in would provide you all some additional privacy. You can still all gather to play cards in one tent during rain events, but for sleeping/clothes changing/etc, you'll gain privacy. The "2 tent solution" also usually means easier set-up and tent placement on certain campsites because you no longer have to pitch a giant tent with it's huge footprint. Takedown and rolling up is also quicker. Also, slightly smaller tents generally have more wind and storm resistance/integrity due to their smaller side profiles. By smaller tents, I am thinking a 10x10 6 person tent and a 4 person tent for the kids. Or two 6 person tents. etc. Just a thought.

I do not own a Kodiak tent or the Browning tent you mentioned. The Kodiak has a nice following here on the forum and is generally given high marks. I'm not sure I would want a Kodiak if I was packing up every other night to move to a new campsite due to the weight...but for a "set it and forget it" camptrip of several days plus duration...it is a very nice tent. It also is really good at handling the different seasons. I will leave the detailed pros/cons of canvas tents to the experts that have real life experience with them. They are a little different animal than the standard nylon/poly style of tents I am familar with.

In my opinion...there are better tents out there than the Browning Bighorn. It is a 10x15, very tall tent supported by only 3 fiberglass poles. In the event of a serious wind storm, that large tent with a tall vertical side profile just isn't adequately supported by those 3 fb poles. The rainfly does not extend down very far and I cannot find any waterproof rating specs for the walls and fly material (even on Browning's site). Not a good sign.

What could be a suitable tent in lieu of the Browning that has a track record? Take a look at Eureka's Copper Canyon series and their upgraded but very similar in size/layout/style Jade Canyon series. The Copper Canyon has been around for awhile and there are several forum users here that have them and are pretty pleased with their performance. Eureka Copper Canyon and Jade Canyon comes in a 4, 6, 8, and 12 person sizes. These are overall much beefier than the Browning.

Of course there are numerous other poly/nylon tents in 6 and 8 person sizes that are made by well known manufacturers that offer quality materials, excellent workmanship and lifetime warranties. Look at Big Agnes (Flying Diamond 8p & 6P Series), REI (Kingdom 8P and 6P), Marmot Limestone (8P, 6P, 4P) and Halo Series (8P and 6P), Cabelas Alaskan/Instinct Series, EMS, Sierra Designs, Kelty, Nemo, Easton, Mountain Hardware, Mountainsmith, Eureka, Alps Mountaineering, etc. These all generally make fine tents (some models are better than others).

You DO have time to really think through your options, decide on the materials and dimensions in a tent that suits your camping style and season...and still get a good sale/deal after you've narrowed it down.

I know....lots of stuff and questions for you. Keep us posted and ask questions.

Take care

Brian - a65hoosier
                    We mainly camp at established camp ground where we can drive up to the camp site and put up the tent, now when living in Bloomsburg Pa I'd go with the Royal Rangers a few times a year and camp out at different locations for the weekend. Our outings are usually anywhere from March to end of September, not saying I wouldn't camp in colder weather but never had a good enough tent to do that. Our outings vary anywhere from overnight to 5 days which was the longest with the girls when we spent the 5 days at Ricketts Glen State Park Pa, it was an awesome place, miss Pa it was so much nicer than Tx., when we camp we've only used coleman air mattresses usually queen size, mainly for semi comfort, however love to get a cot for my wife and I. Spoke about the tents with my 15 yr old daughter and she stated that when they slept alone at night (with her sister) that the got scared and heard noises all night, so she prefers to sleep with my wife and I. Now last time we camped was at the Wichita Mts. near Lawton Oklahoma and they have Buffalo walking around when you camp and of coarse one came up to my daughters tent and scared them silly, and of coarse the same night it poured and both our tents decided to leak and go bad so we slept in our truck the rest of the night while it stormed and the wind blew crazy.

Comment

Saw a Pinnate 24 x 10 tent on line for 499.00 boy what a large tent, have no desire to have such a large tent. I had always thought that the Eureka tents were the top of the line in camping and water / rain protection but after researching they are or seem to be mid way. Don't really want another coleman tent, it was a Walmart special back in 96 or 97 for 99.00 had a 10 x 12 sleeping area and an outside area that zipped for the belongings. Never water sealed it so that was my mistake, however before the kids came it did good for my wife and I, the bottom now has rips in it but it was a very thin bottom and not the tub type. My budget or what I could possibly convenience my wife into would be Browning, Eureka or maybe the Kodiak canvas tent. I'm not familiar with caring for the canvas tents and I am concerned about ruining it, not saying it is out of the question though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo View Post
                        I'm not familiar with caring for the canvas tents and I am concerned about ruining it, not saying it is out of the question though.
                        Right off the top of my head, there are two things you need to know about canvas tents. First, soak 'em down good before you actually use it for camping. That tightens the weave of the cotton which helps it repel water. Second, never put it away wet and store it in a place where it won't get damp. Mold and mildew are your enemy. I find canvas infinitely more durable than nylon. Aside from the obvious fact that the cloth is thicker, canvas isn't as susceptible to UV degradation as nylon. They also insulate well in both Summer and Winter. Properly taken care of, they should provide you with years of enjoyment.

Comment

Rainflies on quality tents are made of polyester due to its high UV resistance, in addition to being half the weight and highly resistant to mold and mildew vs canvas. If you sink serious coin into canvas, you may want to buy a gallon of CanVak solution for maintenance. I've had canvas before, but didn't care for the issues with mildew and the resulting off-odor of canvas tents. Now that I'm long out of the swamps here out West, that may not be an issue. Still, a 6-man tent runs twice the 25 lb. weight of my poly/nylon Sierra Designs, and the extra weight has no advantage here for wind and rain integrity vs. modern poly tents. I'd avoid Eureka! brand tents as they offer such a wide range of quality from big-box to outfitter that you have to be very careful about what you're buying. And yes, we own a Eureka! Tetragon 7 tent that is loaned out when folks tag along and we get too big for our two Sierra Designs tents. Not bad, just low-tier as far as features and design.
                          Last edited by tplife; 08-28-2015, 04:13 PM.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo View Post
                            Saw a Pinnate 24 x 10 tent on line for 499.00 boy what a large tent, have no desire to have such a large tent. I had always thought that the Eureka tents were the top of the line in camping and water / rain protection but after researching they are or seem to be mid way. Don't really want another coleman tent, it was a Walmart special back in 96 or 97 for 99.00 had a 10 x 12 sleeping area and an outside area that zipped for the belongings. Never water sealed it so that was my mistake, however before the kids came it did good for my wife and I, the bottom now has rips in it but it was a very thin bottom and not the tub type. My budget or what I could possibly convenience my wife into would be Browning, Eureka or maybe the Kodiak canvas tent. I'm not familiar with caring for the canvas tents and I am concerned about ruining it, not saying it is out of the question though.
                            I've never heard of the Pinnate tent line but know 24'X10' is too big for my needs. I've given a lot of thought re:vestibules for family car camping tents and decided that they are inconvenient; I prefer my storage space closer to my sleeping area since it makes it easier to dress.

Maybe given the age of your kiddos a 2 tent set up is the best answer. More space and privacy for the parental units, plus the ability for the tween and teen to go off with friends camping.
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                              I More space and privacy for the parental units, plus the ability for the tween and teen to go off with friends camping.

Yeah, that. Not that I would know myself, but the teen and tween would DEF appreciate the privacy. With friends.

Comment

I'm always in the two-tent camp unless we're talking about children in the single digits. Eventually, when the kids move on, a 24'x10' tent for the two of you will be way too big. With a two-tent setup, you can sell or retire the tent that isn't needed. Moreover, having the kids in charge of their own tent, with help waiting in the wings from mom and dad, let's kids learn the "how to" about tenting rather than just having everything done for them. Let them learn how to set up the tent properly, tie guy-out knots (taut-line hitch), secure the tent, adjust it, etc.
                                Moss Big Dipper
                                Alaskan Guide 8
                                Alaskan Guide 6
                                NorthFace Tadpole 23
                                ALPS Exteme 3
                                Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Working...
                                X