Hello from Iowa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Iowa

Hi, Wife and I live in eastern Iowa. My main interest is outdoor cooking. Enjoy the outdoors, vintage and home fabricated gear. My camping interest leans more towards primitive. Hoping to learn some new ideas.

Re: Hello from Iowa

Hi Coydog and Welcome to the Forum! You'll find a good group of folks here with a large variety of camping interests and styles. You'll also find a receptive audience for any insight you can share regarding outdoor cooking, menus, etc. so share away!

I also try to bring one or two pieces of vintage gear with me on almost every trip.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like I have an opportunity to learn about modern camping.

Comment

Hello and welcome.

Comment

Thanks Force10. Also like Rush. One of my favorite bands.

Comment

Welcome and jump in when you can!

Comment

Thanks bluestar.

Comment

CoyDog - I like old school, myself. Except for hiking gear. The simpler, the better.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Hello Coydog and family!
                  Welcome to the forum and speak your mind.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Iowa.... Isn't that the home of the WORLD FAMOUS CORN PALACE? Yup, been there. I was a little surprised to find that inside the WORLD FAMOUS CORN PALACE was a basketball court.

What is camping like in Iowa?

Comment

Hello Mike,
                        Live in Iowa my entire life and never heard of the Corn Palace. Camping in Iowa, well what we are seeing is mostly RVs and campers and very few tents. We sometimes fish at night at some smaller camp grounds and no one will be there. I like to camp on private property on the smaller rivers or farm ponds. Sometimes at hard to get at areas on preserves, privacy. I like the Boscobel area in Wisconsin, always wanted to check out the more northern areas in the central part of the state.

Comment

The Corn Palace is in Mitchell SD. We visited it in 2012. Every year it is redone with a new theme. Fun stop off as you go by.

Here is what the pattern looks like before they start gluing in the colored corn.

Comment

Thanks bluestar99. I guess I was in Mitchell South Dakota instead of Iowa. I guess they are a lot alike. Ya, the corn palace. Your excellent photos tells the whole story about the corn palace. People talk about it like it is THE thing to see. When you get there, you realize that South Dakota really needs something - anything really: If not Disneyland, at least a park full of retired carnival rides.

Comment

You are right on. I put it up there with Wall Drugs. If you happen to be going by anyway both are worth a few minutes just to say you were there. But neither is worth a special trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X