What attracted you to go camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What attracted you to go camping

Always loved the outdoors. started camping around 12 years old. Friends and I would just take off out of town and find a place to set up camp. Had many places we could go back then. Always looking for a excuse to get out of the house with 2 sisters and 1 bathroom at home.

Comment

I went camping often when I was a kid with my parents and friends. It was always nice to get away from the central valley heat in California and spend some time in the Sequoias during the summer. I've been living upstate, NY for the past 10+ years and still remember the smell of the fresh mountain air very well and miss it very much. My wife, stepson and I will go tent camping this coming weekend in the Adirondacks and we can't wait.

Comment

For me, my husband got me into camping. As a kid we did not spend much quality time as a family. However, my husband's family did. We wanted our children to experience the adventure of camping in the great outdoors.

Comment

To enable me to commune with sasquatches, werewolves, UFOs, and big things that go bump in the night!!! :oh:
          Moss Big Dipper
          Alaskan Guide 8
          Alaskan Guide 6
          NorthFace Tadpole 23
          ALPS Exteme 3
          Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

I grew up camping in a Coleman canvas tent that had been a floor model at the store. It had a tiny little graffiti, in red ink, of a heart with a couple's name in it with a + sign. Later, in a truck camper called "Hunter's Special" with a gun cabinet built in that only got used for fishing poles.

Once I had kids, I inherited the Coleman canvas. It was very heavy and a pain to set up so it got retired for a Coleman 10' x 16' cabin tent that we camped in for 20+ years.

As far as what attracted me to it, it's just something I always did and enjoyed. I grew up in the DC area and my kids did too for much of their childhood, so it was nice to get out into nature on the weekends.

Now it's just me and hubby camping alone and we're still at it.

Comment

I, too, am one of those brought up on camping...
              For me four wheeling was a natural extension (I wheel to camp)... primitive only; no numbered sites for us.
              I prefer the mountains and desert (few skeeters). The rain, snow, sleet, gropple (tiny snowballs) and hail usually doesn't bother us (except when we see several inches of flood getting ready to migrate into the tent/trying to float us).

A garden sprayer(painted black for solar heat solves the lack of shower facilities. and a Trangia alcohol stove is fine for heating water for the morning shave and/or evening wash up.

The attraction; experiencing Nature & getting away from "civilization"..

Enjoy!
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I grew up camping. It's in my soul. Like anything else, there will always be aspects you'd rather not have, such as mosquitoes, moderate discomfort, labor when you came out for some rest and relaxation, etc. However, I find that the best way to mitigate these things is to know what you DO enjoy about it and focus on that. Just put up with the rest as part of the deal.

For me, I find peace when I camp. I love to get away from the urban noises and just listen to the songs nature sings. It speaks to me.

Comment

Working...
                X