Kodiak vestibule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodiak vestibule

I took delivery of our new Kodiak 10 x 14 VX model tent and purchased the vestibule with it. After setting up the tent it was necessary to install 2 additional grommets on the tent awning flap and followed the instructions to position them 4" from the existing grommets. Being a trusting soul I did that but when putting the vestibule up, 4" did not create enough of an overhang to make me comfortable that rain would not find its way between the tent flap and vestibule end. Especially if accompanied by any wind. I installed 2 more grommets yet another 6" back from the others I had already installed. Now the tent awning flap hangs over the vestibule by several inches and rain should not be an issue. I would suggest setting your grommets at least 8" initially for proper sealing of this joint. My first impression of this tent is that is well built but this bad boy is heavy. Since we only car camp and drive onto the campsites, this will not be an issue. My biggest concern is that I will one day need to break camp in the rain. I don't even want to think about trying to wrestle this bad boy into the wagon to get it home. Maybe for those camping trips when rain is forecast the Marmot Limestone 8 would make the trip so I'm kind of glad no one bought it.

Re: Kodiak vestibule

Pitching and striking a tent while staying dry is definitely a factor when hiking, especially for a longer trip. Not that anyone would hike with a Kodiak - I'm saying I'm glad you brought it up because a lot of people overlook that. Some tents and techniques are better suited for camping in wet weather, and I don't just mean stormworthiness.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I'm big on putting tarps over any of my tents, especially when rain is an issue. Set up a tarp before the tent and you can set up in the rain and not get everything soaked. Same goes for breaking down in the rain. On top of that, it also helps keep UV light, tree sap, and other crap from messing up the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        I'm big on putting tarps over any of my tents, especially when rain is an issue. Set up a tarp before the tent and you can set up in the rain and not get everything soaked. Same goes for breaking down in the rain. On top of that, it also helps keep UV light, tree sap, and other crap from messing up the tent.

Good advice but not always an option if the site is wide open with nothing to tether the tarp to or if the rain is wind driven sideways. For those occasions I have a heavy duty bag used to store artificial Christmas trees and just toss all the wet stuff in it until I get to where I am going and take it all out to properly dry for storage. My other solution has been to stay put, pay for another night and hope the storm moves out.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          Agree. Count me in as a tarp person. Not mentioned - a tarp allows me to spend time outside the tent during rain while on my campout - a protected area for cooking, eating, game playing, etc. I seldom spend much time in the tent except to sleep and/or change clothes.
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I just posted in another thread, but I'm looking for ways to get the awning nice and tight for use with he vestibule. Any tricks to getting it tight, keeping rain from pooling on it, etc?

Comment

Working...
            X