Sleeping Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Bag

What sleeping bag do you like to use? We need to upgrade as they are cheap $15 sleeping bags that were basically bought for kids sleepovers. When we decided to go camping it was one of those things we decided to make due with until we could afford to buy better. Well, it is now next on the list of things to upgrade. We are in Southeast Texas but don't typically camp during the hottest months of the year (July, August, September) so we are probably talking about 40 degree for most of the year and maybe 20 degree during winter months. I appreciate any feedback.

Re: Sleeping Bag

Before I started using a heater in Winter, I used a generic Coleman-type bag of unknown rating, probably a 40° bag. I just took along a heavy quilt, a blanket and a bag liner. The temperature dictated what all layers I used. That got me good to go down to around the 20° mark. If they weren't enough, I just wore some fleece.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 07-27-2015, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Haven't had a sleeping bag in donkey years:he:.
      I just use down quilts that are already in the house.

Want to use a down quilt as a sleeping bag in at least 30 degree temps?
      Fold it in half lengthwise, add a sheet liner and/or blanket inside and then wide stitch it together making a letter "V", half way up the length, and completely across the width.
      Warmer than a layer of blankets and easy to take apart when you get back home using scissors or a seam ripper to remove the temporary stitching.

The rating of your down quilt will tell you how warm you'll be.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

A sleeping bag is but one part of your overall "sleep system" (sleeping bag, sleeping pad, bed clothing, and a few pre-sleep things you can do to increase your metabolism).

But to me...it is what is under a sleeping bag that is the most important factor in being warm. The cold ground and/or cold air circulating under your body will draw heat out of you as your weight crushes and kills the warming loft of a bag's insulation. You'll spend a miserable night in 40 degree temps in a 20 degree bag if you're not protecting your underside.

My question to you: What do you use under your current sleeping bag?

My set up for cold weather car camping: I use an REI Radiant down bag rated to 19 degrees. My wife and son both use a Mountain Hardware Lamina Z Flame synthetic bags rated to 22 degrees. All of us sleep on Therm-a-Rest LuxuryMAPs-an open cell foam self-inflating pads, rated with a 6.9 R-value. We also have closed cell foam pads (Therm-a-Rest Ridgerest SOlite with an R-value of 2.8) that we'll also take depending on the forecast-these go under the self-inflating pads. Heavy Italian army surplus 100% wool blankets on the floor of our tent.

We'll bring dry clean clothing used only for sleeping-includng dry socks, a hat/balaclava, polypro pj's, etc.

You can really "boost" your overall low temperature rating by wearing proper/additional clothing and using a sleeping bag liner as mentioned-esp. if you have your underside protected.

With our above set-up...we've gone down into the teens and slept toasty.
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-27-2015, 06:20 PM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

a65hoosier,

I sleep in a hammock and when we camped in early spring I experienced the so-called "cold butt syndrome". I remedied this on the next trip by placing a foam sleeping pad beneath the 40 degree sleeping bag I use and rolling up a long-sleeved shirt and a pair of socks and storing them in the hammock pocket for when I wake up a little chilly. This seemed to work on that second trip. Temps were low 50's at night and up in the 80's during the day.

My wife and kids sleep inside the tent. Their set-up was 8" Intex Downy air mattress with 40 degree sleeping bag on top. They all wore pajamas and socks. My wife said that 1st trip it got too cold by morning. I am guessing the main issue was nothing between the air mattress and the sleeping bag but they could probably upgrade clothing or add sleeping bag liners or blankets. I was seriously thinking about buying some fleece sleeping bag liners anyway for when we go this fall/winter.

Summer camping was much different. Temps were in the mid 70's at night and 90's during the day. The near 100% humidity makes it worse. I didn't know what to do about the heat except sleep in shorts and shed the covers if it was too hot. We did hang a 20" box fan from the ceiling of the tent at a 20 degree angle and it made a huge difference. We added two smaller fans in the corners but I'm not sure they were needed. Our tent has great air flow anyway even with the rain fly on.

So maybe my $15 Wal-Mart sleeping bags are ok for now then? Maybe I just need to get something for added insulation underneath them along with possibly some fleece liners and/or a decent blanket to throw on top when needed?

Comment

I know this sounds like a broken-record comment...Your wife and kids were cold and slept miserably because of the hollow-tube air mattress. The hollow tube works in tandem with the cold night air to equilibrate and become equal. Anyone on top of it is delivering their body heat to achieve that, and would need to more than triple their insulation to overcome this fact of thermodynamics. They need to be sleeping on self-inflating sleeping pads as A65Hoosier describes, having R-values of 5.0 or above. A cot or air mattress has a thermo-negative 0.75 rating. Do the math of 5/0.75 and you see what I mean about having to increase insulation to overcome the heat-sink effect. Even an inexpensive synthetic sleeping bag can be cozy on top of the proper ground cover. We started that way with ThermaRest pads and replaced our bags with quality goose down bags purchased at dealer 2nds sales and off Ebay, new-with-tags at 40-60% off MSRP
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Force - In my opinion, for the temperatures you'll experience in the winter, you really do need to get your wife and kids either:

1). Off of the hollow tube air mattress and onto some sort of foam insulated pad with a decent R-value (my preferred recommendation and what I did), or

2). Stack a cheapy foam pad and/or wool blankets on top of the air mattress to protect their undersides from the cold air in the mattress.

Women and children, on average, sleep "colder" than men. Their insulation needs are greater.

You are correct in your thinking (and from your own "cold butt" hammock experience) that it is the cold air circulating below your body that pulls the heat away from you. (see tp's post above). Your top side stays warm because your bag's insulation remains fluffy...trapping your body heat in all the fibers nooks and crannies. It slows the transfer of heat. Down below...the insulation is smashed...eliminating those little air pockets that slow heat transfer.

If the thought of sleeping 3 inches or so from the tent floor bothers you....a good pad can also be used on top of a cot if eventually you want to be further up from the ground sleeping or have mobility issues that make pad on floor use uncomfortable. To tell you the truth, I really don't notice being closer to the floor compared to an air mattress.

I realize that investing in decent quality self-inflating pads is a hit to the budget (although you can soften the blow a bit by searching online and hitting sales/coupons. Some retailers will cut you 20% off just by signing up for their newsletter). Therm-a-Rest also carries a lifetime warranty so you know that what you're investing in is a long term investment. (I'm sure some of the other major brands have them also-you'd have to check). Also keep in mind that if you buy from REI (not sales pushin here), you have up to a year to return the thing if you don't care for it.

Regardless, only you can determine what you want to invest $$$-wise in gear vs how much you will use it. I will tell you that getting the spouse to agree to tent camping in the cold in the first place (ha! an accomplishment in itself!)...and having her tell you the next morning she was surprisingly warm, slept great, and can't wait to go again...well, that was worth the cost for me. It really expanded our camping seasons to all year round and allow us to go more often and, more importantly because we value quiet and privacy, when other campers fear to tread.
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 07-29-2015, 06:28 PM.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, for all the input. I'm not sure which way to go yet. We are planning our next trip in October or November. I am pretty sure I will buy fleece liners for all the sleeping bags beforehand. Budget-wise we may just be placing blankets between the air mattresses and the sleeping bags along with layers of clothing and extra blankets if needed. In the future, I do want to invest in some self-inflating pads with an R-value. The thing is that when it gets hot down here, it really gets hot so I wonder if an insulated sleeping pad is just too much in some weather. During the summer the air mattresses were just fine with a sheet over them but not so much even in Spring mornings. It may be that I just end up with two sets of sleeping gear.

Comment

A nice sleeping bag will cost you at least around $150 or so - Sierra Designs makes "bed bags" that don't even have a zipper, they're more comfortable than a regular mummy bag (though I have never used them). Here is the link (they are on sale now until the end of the year) http://bc25.com/coupon/save-25-on-al...ierra-designs/

Comment

I inherited an old Wenzel (it was in like new condition when I got it) (they have gone downhill/turned into a discount brand since Coleman absorbed them, IMO) bag (from the 1950's) Its a fine bag for vehicle camping though bulky and heavy).
                    It gets rolled and stuffed (along with a 1/3 to 1/2 sized pillow), a tight fit, in a GI wet weather bag for transport.
                    I actually prefer it to my newer high tech bags for comfort.
                    I use it with a GI poncho liner to protect the inside from body oils and dirt.
                    There is no temperature rating, I suspect it predates such things, but it works well in the mountains for 3 season camping; and winter camping at 9,000+ foot altitudes; IF a fleece inner bag is added (along with sleeping with a stocking cap on, keeps my feet, and the rest of me warmer).
                    When vehicle camping I typically also use a cot and thick (3.5 to 4" "egg crate) foam (hospital) pad.

I also minimize the tent vents by covering the upper ones with plastic; to raise the temperature level in the tent (if I use a heater its only to warm the tent before getting into or out of the bag).

I completely agree that sleeping gear should be treated as a system.

Edit: when I was using air mattresses I found that a nice, well washed (fluffy), moving pad worked pretty well to isolate me (and the bag) from the high heat loss mattress.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 10-24-2015, 11:35 AM. Reason: moving pad
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post

Edit: when I was using air mattresses I found that a nice, well washed (fluffy), moving pad worked pretty well to isolate me (and the bag) from the high heat loss mattress.
                      Hmmm, that may be something to look for.

We haven't used sleeping bags since our kids were young. Now we just use sheets and blankets like a regular bed. Of course we are not out roughing it anywhere that we are going to freeze.

Comment

.. sounds like waking up to several inches of snow on the tent in June might be an eye opener...
                        I keep a stocking cap with the sleeping bag as sleepwear.

Enjoy!
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

If the coldest temps you will experience is about 40 degrees and you are car camping, you do not need expensive or technical sleeping bags. In fact, bedding from home would be good enough.

The OP asked if a low cost Walmart sleeping bag would be good enough. In my vast collection of sleeping bags, I have a couple Walmart bags that I use for warm weather. They are very good. They pack up small and they are plenty warm and comfortable. They probably cost me about $20 three or four years ago.

Don't buy a bag that is too warm for your needs. If the bag is too warm, you will have to choose between opening up your bag and exposing yourself to the elements, or wrapping yourself inside of it and cooking. This is why many avid campers have several bags for different conditions.

There has been a lot of good advice on this thread about the importance of a good pad. I +1 that advice.

Also, get a bag that is plenty long. If your feet are pressing against the bottom of the bag, your feet will get cold.
                          Last edited by Mike; 10-25-2015, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X