Towing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing Question

We recently upgraded from a pop-up camper to a 28' camper.

I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with the V6 towing package on it and I can tow up to 6400 pounds. I do have a brake controller installed and working.

The camper weighs 5100 pounds and has brakes on it.

My question is, is there anything special I need to know about towing this beast?

Also, I've noticed that the gas consumption is CRAZY, is this normal?

Re: Towing Question

I am no expert, but your truck should handle the trailer easily. I imagine your truck is rated for 10,000 lbs. If so you are well below your limit, but that does not mean you can drive like you normally do. Slow down and be extra careful in traffic and downhill. Allow extra room between you and the other vehicles and don't get too much speed going down hill. Even with trailer brakes they heat up fast and become useless.
    Your gas millage. Your probably getting 10 - 12 mpg. Thats about right.

Comment

I would think a 28 foot trailer is a bit much for just about any V6 truck. You're rated to 6400 pounds. That's dry weight. No gear stored, no water. I guess it might be fine of you don't encounter any major slopes while on your way to wherever you camp but I know I wouldn't be comfortable with that set up. I had a 19 foot camper on the back of a 5.2 liter Dakota and, after the first mountain I hit, I knew I was either going to sell the camper or get a bigger beast of a truck. Almost sorry to say, I still have the same truck.

Comment

I do not want to be the one to rain on your parade but you should probably start shopping for a new truck if you want to keep this camper. The stated 6400 pound towing capacity generally means under ideal conditions with something like driver only (at 175 pounds), 1/2 tank of fuel, and no added accessories to the truck. Do you travel alone, have a hitch or other towing equipment installed, or bring a bicycle, lap top or food in your truck? I am not trying to be sarcastic. You start with the max towing capacity then subtract the pounds of stuff you add to the truck. 6400 - driver weight - passengers weights - accessories - tongue weight of trailer - dog - other stuff = how much trailer you "can" tow. The trailer manufacturers do a similar thing. The stated weight of the trailer is the dry weight, but often is before added accessories like air conditioner, propane tanks, batteries, awning, and any other stuff. So you start with the 5100 pounds + ALL the added stuff + lawn chairs + clothes + food + propane + any water in tanks + anything else you just might need. Your 5100# trailer can easily weigh 6000# if you watch what you carry. That 6000# trailer will likely have a tongue weight of 600-700 pounds to subtract from your trucks tow capacity. You need to also consider the trucks Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) this is how much the total truck and trailer should not exceed. Many people tow over or way over their capacities without ever getting in an accident and killing someone, but it is certainly something to consider before heading out. Most trucks can handle more then stated, but those numbers mean something to manufactures and insurance companies. The max number is determined by the weakest component of your truck before it will fail. That is probably not your V6 or transmission. More then likely it is a suspension or brake part. To put things in perspective, I towed a 5200# dry weight 30' camper with a brand new 1996 full size Ford Bronco (V8) (a similar combo to yours) and did not enjoy any bit of any of the trips. It handled the weight as if it was not there, but was much like carrying a sheet of plywood by yourself in the wind. If your trips are within 30 miles of home on mild roads, slow way down and be cautious and enjoy.

Comment

I had a 26' with a slide 6100 pounds dry my v6 Silverado done good on flat land. when I loaded up all my gear ,food, ice chest, fishing gear and all the necessities it weighed over 8000 pounds. the next trip I had another truck

Comment

Originally posted by CodeGhost View Post
            We recently upgraded from a pop-up camper to a 28' camper.

I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with the V6 towing package on it and I can tow up to 6400 pounds. I do have a brake controller installed and working.

The camper weighs 5100 pounds and has brakes on it.

My question is, is there anything special I need to know about towing this beast?

Also, I've noticed that the gas consumption is CRAZY, is this normal?

There's been some good replies to your post & some sound advice in those replies. I'll chime in with my thoughts.

First off, the thought of a 28' camper being towed down the highway by a V6 Toyota Tacoma just scares the heck out of me. For safety purposes, I hope you're using a weight distribution hitch & have a good set of tires on your truck that are inflated to the max psi when towing.

Secondly, you can bet that your 5100# camper will be over 6000# when it is fully loaded. You'd be surprised by the extra weight added just by filling the fresh water tank & loading all your camping gear.

Thirdly, how about the added wear & tear to your truck. I'm sorry dude, but the V6 Tacoma wasn't built to be pulling around a 28' camp trailer. I can't imagine it being good for the rear suspension or the wheel bearings. The additional stress on the rear of your truck will wear parts out fast.

My advice to you for towing your new beast would be.....sell your Tacoma & buy a 3/4 or 1-ton truck, preferably a diesel. Then you'll have a properly equipped truck for towing the beast & if you decide to upgrade to an even bigger trailer in the future, well.....you'll already have a capable truck for the job.

As far as gas mileage goes, gas engines are the worst. I pulled trailers with a gas engine truck(5.7L) from 1999 to 2005. Always got 8 - 10 mpg towing. Bought my first diesel in 2005 & was just amazed at the difference. We're talking 8 - 10 mpg better towing a bumper pull. I graduated to 5th-Wheel trailers in 2011. I'm currently running a 45' 5th-Wheel ToyHauler behind my 1-ton diesel truck. Fuel mileage hangs at 14 - 15 mpg, which I consider to be great since I'm lugging around 18K - 20K. Of course I've done some modifications to the diesel truck which aid in capability & mpg.

In conclusion, I learned many years ago that you always use the right equipment for the job. The safety of your family & you, as well as the people you share the highway with, should always be top priority. It just makes sense....sermon over - LOL !!

Good luck to ya & keep us posted !!
            2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Originally posted by larrypart1 View Post
              I am no expert, but your truck should handle the trailer easily. I imagine your truck is rated for 10,000 lbs. If so you are well below your limit, but that does not mean you can drive like you normally do. Slow down and be extra careful in traffic and downhill. Allow extra room between you and the other vehicles and don't get too much speed going down hill. Even with trailer brakes they heat up fast and become useless.
              Your gas millage. Your probably getting 10 - 12 mpg. Thats about right.
              I missed the V6 part of your post. Sorry. I read some of the other posts and saw V6 and went back. I have to agree your truck is too small. Don't know what I was thinking.

Comment

I would like to share my recent experiences because it may save someone the shame I have experienced.
                BACKGROUND: last spring we knew we needed to replace our old minivan. At the same time we had an opportunity to purchase a used pop up very cheaply. Our oldest child was planning for clinical training in Florida and Colorado, so we put together travel plans for a big vacation in the pop up and we bought a 2014 Honda Pilot EX-L. The label next to the receiver hitch stated tow rating was 4800 pounds. Fixed up the camper. Hitched the trailer and tried with some combinations of drop bars, extensions, carryalls, etc.
                2 days into the trip the family is enjoying so much that we decided we should upgrade to a travel trailer, but keep the Pilot.
                In August, found a 2006, 25' TT at a fair price and good condition. Inspected with a friend who is an automobile insurance claims adjuster and experienced RV owner. Confirmed that the unloaded weight of this trailer was 4290# and was told by the seller that the gross vehicle weight rating was 4700# (label is not legible)
                Took the camper on some short and easy trips in VA and NC. No problems hauling or braking, family enjoyed the floorplan; all good.
                At this time I was advised by the same friend/inspector not to use cruise control when in traffic. Also, not to haul much water in the tanks because of sloshing, which could create sway. TT came with a weight distributing hitch and I had added the Timbren HROD2 Suspension Enhancement to the rear springs because the Pilot sagged when towing the 2300# pop up.
                Next Lessons: realized the freshwater tank was not secured laterally, So, I was further convinced to never to haul much water.

Last weekend I took a trip to Ohio for the weekend. Through the mountains of West Virginia I was trying to keep up safe interstate speed and not be an obstacle to the heavy duty truck traffic; 45-65mph depending on the grade. I tested the cruise control just to see if it could maintain safe speed under these conditions. It could not. While pressing the accelerator to try to maintain speed, sometimes the rpm would jump up to 6000. Obviously, the Pilot was under strain.
                So, I posted this scenario to a different RV forum and a Pilot owners' forum. ?How bad is towing at these high RPM?
                The Pilot forum seemed ok with towing this way; Pilots' power curves have a higher RPM, all gasoline engines rev higher under these conditions, etc.
                The RV folks attacked me, in some ways justifiably. Learned the actual GVWR of my TT is 7500#. LESSONS: 1. don't believe anything a seller tells me. 2. Get my entire rig weighed for true axle weights, tongue weight, loaded trailer weight and gross combined vehicle weight. Apparently if I am found to be in violation of this GCVW rating I could be fined. 3. Read the owner's manual of the tow vehicle before purchase and don't trust the label next to the receiver hitch. As stated in some other posts here the number of occupants and other weights greatly reduce the tow weight rating. The 4800# rating is for towing a boat (not travel trailer) under specific, ideal conditions. and 4. Never use cruise control while towing. I don't really know why.

My recommendation to the original poster is to review the specifics of your travel trailer for your ability to haul water in your tanks and carefully consider all of the comments in this thread.

I have been humbled and am trying to decide what to sell, keep and buy.

Comment

Working...
                X