Looking for a tent I can stand up in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a tent I can stand up in

Hubs on high-quality tents are typically of the pole, swivel, or intersection variety and are made of anodized (or at least coated) aluminum and are very durable:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/explore...ed-technology/
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      Hubs on high-quality tents are typically of the pole, swivel, or intersection variety and are made of anodized (or at least coated) aluminum and are very durable:

http://www.nemoequipment.com/explore...ed-technology/
      Thanks for the link, TP. Yes, that is the concept of what I understood a hub to be. In any event, usually a critical piece that cannot be replicated in the wilderness if lost of damaged. I wanted to avoid that kind of thing.

Comment

Well, the ALPS Taurus 5 Outfitter arrived. It was exactly as I had imagined and a little bit better.

Some of the things that exceeded my expectations:
        1. The poles are a very nice quality aluminum - astonishingly lighter than fiberglass
        2. There is a built in vestibule front and back
        3. Came with a nice ceiling gear loft and pre-sewn attachments for loft attachment - in addition to the pockets sewn into the tent walls
        4. Very nice quality zippers on the doors. They look like they will last.
        5. Perfect weight material. If it were heavier, it would be almost four season, and if lighter, then flimsy.
        6. Roomy
        7. Heavy duty clips to fasten tarp to corners
        • factory seam seeled floors. This might not be a surprise, but I had read somewhere that the tent was not seam sealed and was happy to see that it is.

The pegs seemed to have been left out BUT, there was a big card in the tent box that said, "if anything is missing or if you have any trouble, please call this number. I called the number and they graciously and politely took care of it.

I still have to put it to the test for foul weather, but initial impressions are positive.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          This past winter, I went snow camping and pulled my sled miles into the forest. As I assembled my Eureka Timberline, the plastic shoulder "hub" snapped.
          The hubs on my REI Half Dome are plastic and I know they could be fixed with one of my now indispensable repair items - an epoxy putty stick. If you're not an ounce counter, you might add one to the tool kit.

Comment

Hmmm, do you need to add "epoxy putty stick" to your signature???
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              The hubs on my REI Half Dome are plastic and I know they could be fixed with one of my now indispensable repair items - an epoxy putty stick. If you're not an ounce counter, you might add one to the tool kit.
              I think the temps when the Eureka hub broke was around -26 degrees F. I wonder if the epoxy stick would be pliable at those temps or even if it would harden? But not all of my camping are at those extreme temps, so an epoxy stick might be a good tool to have in the bag of tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                Hmmm, do you need to add "epoxy putty stick" to your signature???
                Why not? LOL
                At this rate I'll wind up with a signature that looks like the tool aisle at Home Depot

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Thanks for the link, TP. Yes, that is the concept of what I understood a hub to be. In any event, usually a critical piece that cannot be replicated in the wilderness if lost of damaged. I wanted to avoid that kind of thing.
                  Uh, we're talking billet aluminum here, with or without anodizing. Seriously, I don't think you're going to experience breakage unless your tent hub is inside a commercial break-press.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                    Uh, we're talking billet aluminum here, with or without anodizing. Seriously, I don't think you're going to experience breakage unless your tent hub is inside a commercial break-press.
                    Maybe not breakage, but you can experience loss of critical tent pieces. Happened to a friend of mine while canoeing the boundary waters. He forgot one piece of his tent frame "hub", again on a Eureka. Left it several portages behind and a full day of canoeing. Returning to look for it was ruled out, so the rest of the voyage, we had to squeeze him into a tent that was not made for that many people.

Comment

Working...
                    X