Looking for a tent I can stand up in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a tent I can stand up in

It might be time for me to get a new tent. Mostly, I camp alone with my dogs or occasionally another person. Thus, I don't really need or want a tent with a big footprint.

This tent would either be for car camping or canoe camping.

Actually, a four man tent foot print that was at least 6'2" high would be ideal.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Re: Looking for a tent I can stand up in

I can stand up in my 4 person Coleman, but I am 14" shorter than you

Bass Pro Shop has a 5 person 78" tall http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...1212080600569/

REI has a Eureka 6 person tent that would work as the center is 7' tall
    http://www.rei.com/product/831230/eu..._PLA#tab-specs

The Coleman 6 person Instatent would just work at 6'2"
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-6-...e-Hub/34761201
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Mike - Your question is a tough one as it is difficult to find a quality 4P tent (smaller footprint) that also has an interior height of at least 6' 2". I'm sure you've already found this to be the case. Not sure I can help much, but I'll it a shot and hopefully at least give you some ideas.

The tents I've listed (except the REI Kingdom 4P) are considered 6P tents with footprints generally in the 10' x 10' or less size range. All but one meet your minimum 6' 2" interior height requirement. These tents all have high quality materials, decent waterproof ratings, full coverage rainflys, demonstrate excellent craftmanship, are made/sold by manufacturers with good reputations, and are backed by strong warranties. Although rated as 3 season, most of these will handle the cold and some snow (some more than others depending on the pole geometry).

If you are willing to compromise slightly on the interior height, most all of the tents I've listed also have a 4P model which will shrink the footprint size (and the price)...but of course, the interior height will also shrink. Kinda of a tradeoff.

My links to retailers are solely to show the tent and provide specs...as always, some shopping around will usually yield a better price.

Let us know what you ultimately decide upon and why. Happy shopping!
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

My kids have the Eureka Copper Canyon 4. It's 8ft by 8ft, and I can't even touch the ceiling when I stretch my arms way up. I have to stand on something to hang their light. (I'm 5'7").
        Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
        Nights under the stars:
        2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
        2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

There is the Nemo Equiptment Wagontop 4P tent. It has 78" interior height and 100" x 100" Floor Dimensions.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product...+Leaf+Green%29

Comment

I want one like this too,it is very uncomfortable for me in a small tent .
            Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

My .02: A tent is fine if you need the privacy - for example if you're in a developed campground. Otherwise, a tarp will do just fine to keep the rain off, and you can make it as tall as you wish.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Where I live, you'd never survive during June-August using just a tarp. The mosquitoes would devour you. You are fortunate not to have to worry about that.
                Moss Big Dipper
                Alaskan Guide 8
                Alaskan Guide 6
                NorthFace Tadpole 23
                ALPS Exteme 3
                Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

If you are serious about wanting "stand up" space, consider a teepee tent. We use the big one 18'x18' for our family of 5 - and honestly - that is WAY too big. A 10'x10' like the one I linked might work well. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the tent.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...10x10?a=619972
                  Nights camping in 2014: 18
                  Nights camping in 2015: 24
                  Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Jeeze, thanks everybody. You guys are great. I reviewed every suggestion from all of you. Every recommendation was an absolute winner.

In the end, I settled on the ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 5 Outfitter tent. I used Eureka tents for decades and they served me well. Even though I use my camping equipment a LOT, good equipment lasts for decades, this might be the last tent I buy, so money really was not a big factor for me.

Here were the reasons I chose the ALPS Mountaineer Taurus 5 Outfitter:
                    • I will use this tent for car camping (in a small car) and for canoe camping, so size and weight was a factor, but not as critical as if I was backpacking.
                    • I often camp in sites with limited tent footprint space, so giant tents were not an option.
                    • Pole clips and no pole sleeves. I hate pole sleeves.
                    • Two doors instead of one. This way people do not have to step over each other to go to the bathroom at night. Better ventilation
                    • Reasonable footprint. 10' X 8' is about the maximum for many of the remote sites I like - especially canoe only sites.
                    • 6' + ceiling height. I am getting tired of changing clothes, etc on my knees and scooting around inside a tent.
                    • Two pole design. So many tents these days have too many poles. Too complicated and time consuming to set up.
                    • rectangular footprint. I believe that a rectangular footprint is the most efficient use of space. tents with lots of corners = lots of wasted space.
                    • aluminum poles instead of fiberglass. Lighter weight, more durable.
                    • Heavy duty zippers. Zippers are a typical wear item on tents
                    • Heavy duty polyester material instead of Nylon. Nylon is more prone to sun damage and stretch
                    • rain fly extends all the way to the ground.

I have yet to try this tent out, but will use it in real camping environments in about ten days. I will tell you my thoughts.

Last edited by Mike; 06-30-2015, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Good choice with the ALPS Taurus Outfitter. You'll like it. It's large, you can stand in it, it has aluminum poles, two doors, heavy-duty floor, and a fly to the ground.

Happy camping!
                      Moss Big Dipper
                      Alaskan Guide 8
                      Alaskan Guide 6
                      NorthFace Tadpole 23
                      ALPS Exteme 3
                      Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Originally posted by wiiawiwb View Post
                        Good choice with the ALPS Taurus Outfitter. You'll like it. It's large, you can stand in it, it has aluminum poles, two doors, heavy-duty floor, and a fly to the ground.

Happy camping!
                        I'll second this. Good choice Mike. My son's scout troop uses the Alps Mountaineering Taurus AL 4P. Same layout, full fly, aluminum poles, etc....just slightly less durable materials/waterproofing ratings used in the AL vs the Taurus Outfitter model. They seem to be a great tent and have held up well against the punishment that 11-18 year old young men can dish out.
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Decent venting, bathtub floor, SwiftClips attachment points and a good pricepoint for this quality. About the only thing missing are a continuous-zipper door and a hub, but outside of that this is a good value with wind and rain integrity.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

They're getting more and more popular on high end tents, but I see hubs on a tent as a potential weak link. I own a tent with hubs and my biggest fear is that one will crack and I won't be able to fix it in the field. At least with straight poles you can always use a splint and some duct tape to get through the trip. Not so easy trying to fix an aluminum ring or plastic hoojamabob...

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                              About the only thing missing are a continuous-zipper door and a hub, but outside of that this is a good value with wind and rain integrity.
                              I am not sure exactly what you mean by a tent hub, but I think you are referring to the center part that poles attach to. I think these are common on the quick-set-up tents. If this is what you are talking about, I was careful not to get a tent that had any parts that could not be replaced or replicated in the wilderness. I did not want any manufactured parts that would be hard to replace.

This past winter, I went snow camping and pulled my sled miles into the forest. As I assembled my Eureka Timberline, the plastic shoulder "hub" snapped. That was very bad because the part cannot be easily fixed nor replicated. There was only about 12" of snow cover, so not really enough to make a good snow shelter as a substitute. Without a lot of ingenuity, twine, and duct tape, I would have been screwed. I did my best to lash the poles together, but I swore then and there that it would be my last Eureka tent and that I would never get a tent that was dependent on a critical plastic part.

With the ALPS Taurus, I can fix the pole system in the field with green branches like willow branches if needed.
                              Last edited by Mike; 07-01-2015, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X