What would you have done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What would you have done?

I generally have the primitive campground all to myself, while the RV's squabble about whose pad is whose :-)
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I'm just very tired of almost everything now-a-days... i would have asked them to move/leave and made sure they hightailed it out - even if the ranger or manager had to drag them out in a timely manner. :-)

Comment

As others have said, I think it depends. If there was other availability and it was a true mistake and big inconvenience for them to move I think I would have gladly taken the meal and wished them on their way - especially if it was just me and my girlfriend. If I had a family and it seemed like they were taking a stand (which isn't really what it sounds like) I think I may have put up more of a stink.

Comment

This happened a few years ago with a group site. Reservations were supposed to be until Monday, but were made only until Sunday by mistake. We didn't realize this until the next group of campers pulled into the site Sunday night. They talked, pulled out the paperwork, and found out that we indeed only had reservations until Sunday.

It was an honest mistake, and I'm glad the folks who pulled in realized that.

Things were resolved by paying back the reservation fee for the night and a nice bottle of Scotch. Since there was plenty of room for both groups, they were able to stay the extra night, too.

Comment

Where I camp there are no reservations for the tent camping areas so it is first come first served. I don't enjoy camping in crowds so that is one reason I camp in cooler weather during the week when school is in session. Usually I am the only tent camper during the week but even if there are a couple of others camping there are enough campsites available plus multiple tent camping areas so that we can spread out and not disturb each other. For me camping is a time to escape the pressures of work and every day life, a time to slow down and relax, a time to read and reflect, a time to get up with the sun and a cup of coffee and sit quietly while I listen to the forest wake up, or a time to watch the sun set and listen as the forest drifts off to sleep. All that can't happen in a crowded campsite.

I am not a confrontational person so if faced with the OP's story, first, I would talk to the folks in my site and discuss the situation. If there were no other desirable sites available I would ask them to move and if they said no I would contact the park ranger and ask that the people be moved. I am too old, fat, and out of shape to get in someone's face so at this point in my life I choose to let people of authority do the work for me.

Comment

It would, in all honesty, depend on how hungry I was. I get grumpy when I'm hungry. Just beforw dinner after missing lunch and they could be the only other people in the campground and there is a VERY good chance that they would be moving. Right after lunch and don' worry about it. We have the whole outdoors to choose from.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
              X