Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 coleman fleetwood a/c issues

Hello!
    My popup a/c has not been working correctly - when you turn on the a/c you get an immediate burning smell and no cool air comes out. My husband took off the cover and checked it out and we believe it's a bad motor start capacitor - so I ordered a new one online but we can not figure out what the piece on top is called? It says WSX-5ACM Can anyone help with that? Also does this sound like that new part will solve the issue? I sure hope so!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	popup part.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	72782

Re: 2004 coleman fleetwood a/c issues

If it's a burning smell, that doesn't sound like the start capacitor. Did you test the capacitor before ordering a new one? My guess is the motor windings have shorted. If it DOES turn out to be the cap, consider yourself lucky that the fix was so cheap!
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

P.S. If the cap is bad, normally you will hear a humming noise from the motor. I'm guessing (again) this is the fan motor.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

it's hard to tell but that black piece which I think is called the PTCR on top of the start capacitor has melted a bit on the side and that whole part really smells like it's been burning - so we are replacing that plus the wires it connects too - really hoping this is the issue!

Comment

that piece on top of the cap has melted on the side and looks like it was burning - that's why we are replacing the cap and that piece and the wires that connect to it... we checked everything over and that was the only thing that had the burning smell and had looked as if it was melting - and when we use just the fan option on the a/c unit it works just fine - as soon as we switch to a/c cool is when you smell the burning smell and the a/c won't actually kick on. I'm 'hoping' this is what the issue is and not anything more since we just had to replace the electric board last year which was over $300!

Comment

Seems someone had a similar problem here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/air-c...ure-54748.html
            Didn't see that they ever came to a solution, but the thread did mention other things you might want to check out.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Seems someone had a similar problem here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/air-c...ure-54748.html
              Didn't see that they ever came to a solution, but the thread did mention other things you might want to check out.
              Thank you so much! That really sounds like exactly our issue - too bad he didn't post if replacing that part worked or not. I'm feeling hopeful that it will solve our issue.

Comment

Working...
              X