modified wanderer.. tiny camper build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: modified wanderer.. tiny camper build

yes it is street legal. in florida you have it weighed, have the trailer inspected (lights, proper tires, axle capacity) and take your receipts to the tag office with your life savings. or you can tag it as a homemade cargo trailer without an inspection.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the leaks. That is the hardest thing to deal with in building a trailer. I might suggest you scuff sand the Thompsons and try recoating the trailer with Helmsman by Minwax. It is water proof and also offers UV protection.

Comment

today I purchased some stain and helmsman, also bought a new belt sander to make the job a little easier. i'll try to start sanding the first of next week.

Comment

Good luck. You are in the home stretch now. It will be ready to camp in soon.

Comment

:glasses:

I'm hearing that some water based finishes stand up to old style oil base in "wearability" and waterproofing but haven't tried my own test yet.
            Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-02-2015, 10:02 PM.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

i'm sure they make good water base sealer but thompsons is not one of them (imho). thompsons water base sealer is what i'm getting ready to sand off of the camper , i'm resealing with helmsman by minwax. if I was using paint it would definitely be water base, I rebuilt my fishing boat over three years ago and used water base acrylic on the bottom and sides and it is still holding up.

Comment

Awesome, can't wait to follow the rest of the story

Comment

after two days of sanding I have about 3/4 of the thompsons off I will try to finish sanding Thursday, then I can stain and add 2 or 3 coats of helmsman. then i'm hoping to start back on the inside.

Comment

Every step is one towards completion.....whooohooo

Comment

today I finished sanding and staining, tomorrow I will try to apply a coat or two of helmsman. then I can reinstall all the lights and re caulk the trim then i'm hoping to start back on the inside.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I applied the first coat of urethane and painted the trim around the door. later in the week i'll try to apply another coat.

Comment

i applied the first coat of urethane and painted the door trim. i'll try to add another coat later in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper388 View Post
                            i applied the first coat of urethane and painted the door trim. i'll try to add another coat later in the week.
                            Sounds like you are in the home stretch for the exterior. Did you use actual paint for the door frame and if so what kind? Oil or water based?
                            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                              Sounds like you are in the home stretch for the exterior. Did you use actual paint for the door frame and if so what kind? Oil or water based?
                              I used a leather brown oil based rustoleum.

Comment

I purchased a hvlp paint gun and respirator, hopefully I can recoat in about 20 -30 minutes instead of 2 1/2 hours

Comment

Working...
                                X