Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sleep

Just found this http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Mattress-Reviews which could be helpful...

Comment

I love hanging out in a hammock, and think it could be a great sleeping option for wild camping, as you probably have a great selection of trees. However...for the State Park campers we currently are, there might be sites that just don't have the right trees for it. Also, with nasty weather we have enough space in our tent to enjoy ourselves a couple of hours...

Comment

I just ordered the Therm-a-Rest Luxury Map ($159 at campsaver.com). After comparing this league of self inflating mats, there was one other Therm-a-rest I looked at, but many reviewers said it was very noisy when you move on it. I didn't want to wake myself up because of mattress noises ;-) I got the XL since it's for car camping, I have enough packing space for it. Will let you know about my new Zzzzzzzzzz experience soon! Thank you all for your feedback.

Comment

We have a Roof Top tent on the Ford Excursion that we have had about 2 years. It came with a 5" high density foam mattress and has blown away everything else that we tried. Nice thing is it folds up in about a minute and is ready to go in about the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by mdicarlo View Post
            I guess I did cover most options...the hammock I have not tried yet. Not sure if the bended position will work for me. I'm also turning a lot, which might be hard to do in a hammock? For colder camping it is nice to be off the ground...
            I love sleeping in my hammock. It takes a night or two to figure out what works for you, but I prefer it to any sleeping bag. Especially with a sleeping pad - it's great. Doesn't do much if it's raining, but it's nice if you're in a muddy area.

Comment

Many options but very expensive to buy/try all of them... hopefully many will share their experiences and you can get a good feel for what will work best for you. keep looking and good luck...

Comment

I like hanging out in a hammock, and perhaps should try to sleep in it. I do toss and turn a lot and sleep mostly on my side, not sure how that would go in a hammock. The other thing is that you need the right tree configuration at or near your camp site and that's not something you can rely on when camping at State or National parks. When camping in the wild this is probably less of a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by mdicarlo View Post
                  Just found this http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Camping-Mattress-Reviews which could be helpful...
                  Mdicarlo, your link is an excellent find, a well-researched article with good graphics, price comparisons, R-Values, and more. Many thanks!
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

My preference is a high top air mattress with the built in pillow. I throw a sheet on top and lay out on my over sized sleeping bag. As been said before I like to over inflate the mattress to get a good hard lying surface.

Comment

What kind of tent do you use? ie size, height etc... knowing that would allow for better information...

Comment

I have a couple Coleman family style cabin tents. Space is not a problem in those things. One is the 16x10 Weathermaster II. The other is the 14x10 instacabin. Both are 10 person rated. I would only go 5 and 3 respectively. We like comfort and personal space. We also use the front half of the tents as living areas.

Comment

My tent is a pretty spacious Kelty and worked for cots and the ultra tall airbed (both didn't work for sleeping). Still have to try out my new sleeping pad, will keep you posted!

Comment

We have a high-density, 4.5" full foam mattress in our Roof Top tent and it's wonderful... folds up with the tent when we are ready to go. Sleeps better that my bed at home - must be the outdoor evening air.

Comment

Self inflating mat on a stretcher. Can't beat it.

Comment

Have you tried just buying a 3" or 4" thick piece of foam and covering it with a sheet? You can roll foam fairly tight to travel, depending on it's density. I find foam to be my second favorite sleeping choice. My first choice being an extra thick air mattress that I have all to myself. I cannot share, even a queen size one. The comfort is being alone on it. First one I ever brought home, I slept on it in the living room floor for better part of a year before I could pull myself away from it. Best sleep ever.

We did have a neighbor whose wife refused to go camping with him saying, "I need to sleep in my own bed." So he took their entire bed from home camping, frame, box-spring, mattress and all. Had it all set up in the tent neat as you please.

Comment

Working...
                                X