Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tristate Camping for Young Adults

Hi all-

I have a group of about 6 friends who I go on an annual hiking/ camping trip with. We all went to college together and are in our mid-20s. We aren't rude or disrespectful, but we rarely have the opportunity to get together and like to enjoy ourselves when we do.

We're planning our next camping/hiking trip for July and are looking for a campground that has some privacy and is a good fit for a group of young adults who would like to have some beers, stay up and listen to country music/ laugh and hang out. We don't want to bother any families that may be staying in an adjacent campsite.

Any suggestions for good campgrounds for young adults with a nearby hike that's worthwhile? (Something with good views in the 6-10 mile range).

Looking for somewhere within 3 hours of North Jersey (PA, NY, NJ, CT...) and hopefully some type of lake or swimming near the campground.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!!!!!!!!!

Re: Tristate Camping for Young Adults

It's late in the season for that portion of the NE so I'll give you my standby response: Devil's Hopyard SP, CT

Great hiking, scenery and waterfalls. Not sure if you can swim in the water but you can certainly wade. About 10 maybe 20 miles from Hammonasset and Rocky Neck SPs for beach. Depending on your car pass you can enter other state parks for free. Try and have a CT resident book reservation for lower rate although goodness knows it's one of the least expensive campgrounds in the state. Near Gillette Castle SP, and various museums and historical sites.

This is rustic camping. No showers so bring your sun shower mechanism or shower at nearby state parks; an old fashioned pump (it's cold and tastes pretty good!) well provides water for the entire campground (about....10 sites). Bathroom has really bad lighting so bring your lantern in w/ you, LOL. Pit toilets. If you want to be away from others (although I've never seen the campground full) opt for a campsite towards the back. No electricity anywhere but in the bathroom and I already discussed the quality of it's lighting.

Who camps here? Mostly the young who don't want to disturb anyone else or one nighters in RVs w/ no reservations.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...&parkId=100104

You can also check out Hopeville Pond SP, CT. Haven't been there but it tends to have availability, mostly for tents and has swimming on site. Check the map for sites w/ most privacy.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/facili...&parkId=100100

HTH and have fun out there no matter where you wind up.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 06-07-2015, 04:21 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
    X