Ultralight or Bushcraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultralight or Bushcraft?

My son was talking to me the other day about how he wanted to get serious about bushcraft. I was like "fiddle-dee-dee" until I came across this article,

http://www.offthegridnews.com/?s=BUSHCRAFT

and it got my attention. As many of you know my camping/hiking style is Ultralight. But still, most of my camping is from the back of my truck, so gear weight isn't really a consideration. The reason bushcraft appeals to me is that there is an emphasis on knowledge and the use of everyday tools, versus the U/L mindset where technique is certainly important, but generally the gear is highly specialized (and expensive) and only available from the small U/L cottage industry. It also appeals to the part of me that appreciates self-reliance. You know, for WTSHITF. I know some of you have been practicing bushcraft for a long time - it just never occurred to me that there was a downside to U/L.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Re: Ultralight or Bushcraft?

I think knowing some bushcraft skills is great,
    to start I think a little bit of both helps,
    one of the aspects of bushcraft type camping is knowing edible vegetation in your area,
    personally that is 1 aspect I would focus on, as it will take years to get really knowledgeable about it

Comment

I absolutely agree - I have books on both edible and medicinal plants. I've spent a little bit of time with them. I need to learn more about fungi too.

Comment

I think you can learn a lot from Bushcrafter's and Ultra lights. Then tailor it to fit your needs.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

This is a subject that I seem to always push to the back burner. Now that it's been brought up here, I starting looking online for some good books to read up on it and all I seem to find are a bunch of mediocre guides. Maybe someone here can someone point me to one or two "best of the best" books for identifying edible and medicinal plants?

Comment

I've seen a number of discussions about edible and medicinal plants and they seem to have the same advice. One, you need to get information specific to your area and, two, you need to get advice from someone in the flesh.

There used to be a woman who taught classes about medicinal and edible plants in my mountain area but she no longer does so. I missed out on valuable experience. I'd check with hiking clubs, your regional conservation office, or even a local college in your area to see if they know of someone.

While a good resource, the downside to using a book is that it is very easy to confuse the edible root of one plant with the poisonous root of another.

A good resource about anything bushcraft, including edible and medicinal plants is this website:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/forum.php
            Moss Big Dipper
            Alaskan Guide 8
            Alaskan Guide 6
            NorthFace Tadpole 23
            ALPS Exteme 3
            Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

for those in NY area, I know so many here are from NY
              can look up this guy and take one of his wild edible tours,
              I have never been, but may give it a try
              http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/
              there are similar programs all around the country,
              look up such on your local wildlife/state park pages, universities, and look up local mushroom clubs

and if looking for books
              he has a book
              that is pretty well respected,
              he is a NY, so his book might be geared toward north east plants
              Last edited by terasec; 05-21-2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the NE/NY heads up, terasec!
                Off to check him out now.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have the Peterson's guide to edible wild plants. But now I'm aggravated because I can't find my book on medicinal plants. I have a book addiction, and when my bookshelf gets too full I just pack everything up and start filling it again.

Comment

Working...
                  X