All Purpose Fast and Easy Tomato Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Purpose Fast and Easy Tomato Sauce

This sauce can be used on pizza, pasta or as a dipping sauce. Use as is for pizza. Add a bit of tomato juice and or olive oil for pasta or dipping sauce.

• 1 12-ounce bag cherry tomatoes, stemmed
    • 1 garlic clove, pressed
    • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, coarsely crushed in plastic bag
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Heat large skillet over high heat 2 minutes. Add oil, then tomatoes; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until tomatoes are charred and beginning to break down, about 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in garlic, fennel, and crushed red pepper. Using back of fork, crush tomatoes in bowl, leaving large chunks intact. Season mixture with salt and pepper.
    Makes enough for a large pie, or will serve 2-3 for pasta. One more thing. You can add no seasonings by using your favorite Bloody Mary mix. I'm partially to Tabasco's mild version for cooking especially when children are on hand.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: All Purpose Fast and Easy Tomato Sauce

UPDATE

Added roasted tomatoes and roasted garlic from the supermarket's salad bar to the cooked sauce. Then heated all with mussels and a lil wine and olive oil. Served it to a horde of teenaged boys who camped nearby and dinna drive us crazy every night. And one had a crush on my 15/16 y/o niece and acted like his momma had taught him manners-works for me to not put on my r u crazeeeeeeeeeee? auntie act.
    Staying on my camping menu roster.

Also served the sauce over pasta and added grated Parmesan cheese. The Princess ate 2 servings and was eyeing 3rds but her cousin got there before she did which caused little mutters of "He's sooooo greedy". After she finished eating I informed her that I'd added cheese.
    She fell under the picnic table and started yelling that I'd poisoned her.

Got to love traveling with drama mamacitas and papitas :out:.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 08-01-2015, 07:29 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
    X