Stromboli for Carnivores and Vegetarians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stromboli for Carnivores and Vegetarians

Not sure if I'll serve it for lunch or dinner yet and also realising that one is prolly not big enough for 5 people but we'll see how I get around that problem.

This one is filled w/ mortadella (I asked for capocollo), salami, provolone, chopped kale and spinach, onions and roasted peppers. I used store bought pizza dough from WF and then just hit the deli counter and rummaged around my fridge.

Here's the dough with toppings:

Rolled, egg washed with freeze dried shallot powder sprinkled a top and steam vented:

Out of the oven and cooling:

Next one will prolly be all veggie with cheese.
    Things I learned:

Roll tighter especially in the center
    Cut the steam vents on the side instead of top. It should make it easier to serve when cut.
    Salami should be cut in strips instead of placed whole. I suspect it's gonna overwhelm the mortadella.

Now to figure out how to store it so it'll fit in the freezer AND cooler. Cut or not? Hmmmmm........the things I occupy my brain with scares me too:he:.

Here's the base recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated:

While developing our stromboli recipe, we determined that store-bought pizza dough worked fine and tasted just about as good as homemade (and with all the stuffing ingredients, the finished stromboli had no shortage of flavor). To make the filling as quick and easy as possible, we decided to eschew sauces and cooked ingredients in favor of meats and cheeses from the deli case: salami, capocollo, and provolone cheese tasted complex and satisfying. Jarred roasted red peppers added dimension. We tested a broad range of temperatures for our stromboli recipe before settling on 400 degrees, at which the crust browned well in the time it took the center to cook perfectly.
    less
    Serves 4

You can make your own pizza dough (see related recipe), although store-bought dough, dough from your local pizzeria, or one 12-ounce or 13.8-ounce pop-up canister of pizza dough (Pillsbury brand) all work here. Serve with tomato sauce, if desired.
    Ingredients

• Olive oil
    • 1 pound pizza dough (see note)
    • 4 ounces thinly sliced deli salami
    • 4 ounces thinly sliced deli capocollo
    • 4 ounces thinly sliced deli provolone cheese
    • 4 ounces jarred roasted red bell peppers, sliced thin, rinsed, and patted dry (about 1/2 cup)
    • 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
    • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
    • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
    • Kosher salt (optional)

Instructions

1. Brush a rimmed baking sheet lightly with oil; set aside. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 12 by 10-inch rectangle, about 1/4 inch thick. Place the meat and provolone over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border along the edges. Top with the roasted red bell peppers and Parmesan.

2. Brush the edges of the dough with water. Starting from a long side, roll the dough tightly into a long cylinder, pressing the edges to seal. Transfer the stromboli to the prepared baking sheet, seam side down.

3. TO STORE: Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.

4. TO SERVE: Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap, brush the egg over the top, and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and kosher salt (if using). Cover the stromboli lightly with aluminum foil that has been sprayed with vegetable oil spray (or use nonstick foil) and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to bake until the crust is golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer the stromboli to a wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. Transfer to a carving board and slice into 2-inch pieces.
    You can freeze it unbaked then bake it on site but that seemed like too much work after a full day of keeping up w/3 kiddos. So I under baked it by 10 minutes, then cut it into portion sizes, ran it thru my handy dandy vacuum sealer and into the freezer it went. On site I'll finish cooking it using indirect heat on the grill for 10-15 minutes and a hot meal is ready. Serve a salad on the side, give 'em a marinara dipping sauce (recipe to follow) and it's all good.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Stromboli for Carnivores and Vegetarians

Thank you for posting this up NYCgrrl! I think it's something we might try the next time out with a few modifications (I'm going to go with more standard pizza style toppings - - - pepperoni, Italian sausage, onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc).

Always looking for something different to cook and try every trip.

Let us know how it works out for you on your camptrip and any changes you made (or would make) to the process.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I say modify with complete abandon!
      My only proviso is to be sure there is a barrier between the dough and sauce. Keeps the sauce from soaking into the bread.
      Oh and I decided to cut the stuffed bread into portion sizes before freezing.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
        I say modify with complete abandon!
        My only proviso is to be sure there is a barrier between the dough and sauce. Keeps the sauce from soaking into the bread.
        Oh and I decided to cut the stuffed bread into portion sizes before freezing.
        Good tips! Thanks!
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

UPDATE.

Don't bother egg washing the bread before freezing ; the texture was weird and I stripped off the top layer of dough before eating:D.
          Made a vegetarian as well as meat version and the meat style was the hands down favorite.
          2017:

Comment

Working...
          X