Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Box and portable pantry Homade

Hi All,

I built this about 2 years ago, but just now getting around to some pics of The Boxes in action. We've used them several times and Man they Rock!! The chuck box is pretty heavy, because we carry everything known to man, but we camp with a minimum of 4 and a max of about 14 so I've always got help to load and unload.

Here the boxes are on the stands and ready to deploy.

Fully deployed and in action.

Here's a hand full of stills on a vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtq...ature=youtu.be

Thanks for looking

Dice
    Last edited by Dice; 06-03-2015, 06:17 PM. Reason: Can't rely on spell check for title
    Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff.
    2016, 40 Nights Tent Camping So Far............

Re: Chuck Box and portable pantry DIY

Originally posted by Dice View Post
    Hi All,

I built this about 2 years ago, but just now getting around to some pics of The Boxes in action. We've used them several times and Man they Rock!! The chuck box is pretty heavy, because we carry everything known to man, but we camp with a minimum of 4 and a max of about 14 so I've always got help to load and unload.

Thanks for looking

Dice
    Nice! What vehicle do you carry them in? How many nights do you usually hunker down for? I use plastic bins for my chuck boxes because we tend to move every few days and we camp in areas with bears and have to stow everything back in the van or in bear proof containers provided by the campground.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
      Hi All,

Thanks for looking

Dice
      Nice! What vehicle do you carry them in? How many nights do you usually hunker down for? I use plastic bins for my chuck boxes because we tend to move every few days and we camp in areas with bears and have to stow everything back in the van or in bear proof containers provided by the campground.
      Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
      sigpic

Comment

Re: Chuck Box and portable pantry Homade

Very nice! I've been wanting to try a chuck box for a while now instead of our current camp kitchen setup but have been having a problem finding the right design to work for our stuff. Thanks for sharing your pictures, they look great!
        Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Cool looking chuck box! What do you use the rectangular drawer on the right side of the photo for? The one with the great hand slot opening?
          I particularly like the paper towel setup.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Very well done! They look very functional, and I like the way the stain brings the grain out of the wood. Love the campsite too, it looks a lot like the campgrounds from the KY Lake area.

Comment

It's huge, it's cool. It makes me think, "Go Big Or Go Home". Any larger and it would need wheels, a motor, and perhaps running lights and a backup alarm. :penguin:
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I think my "chuck box" would fit in the smallest compartment of this one :-) Reminds me of camping with my wife - I'll have to post photos before y'all can truly understand. With her stuff, setting up camp takes HOURS. And it involves tools and extension cords. She doesn't go with me any more :-D No TV, you understand.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                  I think my "chuck box" would fit in the smallest compartment of this one :-) Reminds me of camping with my wife - I'll have to post photos before y'all can truly understand. With her stuff, setting up camp takes HOURS. And it involves tools and extension cords. She doesn't go with me any more :-D No TV, you understand.
                  Hehehe on the TV. Tell her she can watch most of her shows on a smartphone now:angel:.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I don't think I should tell her that - I'm enjoying my simple camping outfit too much! I really should drag out the Cowboy Cookset with all the options and accessories, plus all the cast iron skillets, dutch ovens, flippers, turners, scrapers, spoons, rakes, shovels, and implements of destruction... and put up a photo. Makes my back ache just thinking about it. "Chuck Box", indeed.

:bigboulay:

Comment

Having said all that, DICE, looks like you've got some creditable woodworking skills.

Comment

Sorry about the slow responses........ Moving, and job hunting have gotten in the way of my fun stuff.......

markkee,
                        I have a Dodge Mega Cab truck that we carry our gear in, and it is usually pretty full. We usually camp for a minium of 3days, if we are going to move it only takes a minute to shut it down and load into the truck, and another minute to set up when we get where we are going. So far, we have not camped in bear country, so the latches with a caribiner, through the padlock hole has been sufficient.

dice

Originally posted by markkee View Post

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                          Cool looking chuck box! What do you use the rectangular drawer on the right side of the photo for? The one with the great hand slot opening?
                          I particularly like the paper towel setup.
                          Thanks for the compliments. Here's what the drawer is for:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Anns pics 269.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	70247Click image for larger version

Name:	Anns pics 268.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	70248
                          Custom built adult beverage drawer with removable spacers.
                          The paper towel rack is a rack from sportsmans guide, that I modified a bit.
                          It works very well and has a rack to hang utensils from.

Thanks, Dice

Comment

Thanks astrowolf, but that is not stain.................. my kids and I fired up the blow torches and burned the bare wood, then covered in clear matte finish to achieve this look. You are on the money for campsites...lol
                            We were in Piney campground at LBL.

Originally posted by astrowolf67 View Post
                            Very well done! They look very functional, and I like the way the stain brings the grain out of the wood. Love the campsite too, it looks a lot like the campgrounds from the KY Lake area.

Comment

Thanks, I think it turned out pretty good, considering it was cheap (warped) plywood cut out on a Harbor Freight table saw.

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                              Having said all that, DICE, looks like you've got some creditable woodworking skills.

Comment

Working...
                              X