Let's talk about tarps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about tarps!

I recently bought the Noah's 12x12 and we pitched it for the first time this past weekend with very little to go by except intuition and luck. I also got 2 adjustable length poles (80-99" and we had them on the tallest setting) as well as one older Eureka pole that was about 6 feet (it went with the 20+yo tent that DP had and we retired, for putting out a front porch--we have two, but only used one with the tarp).

So... according to the hoosier, here are his basic instructions (so he won't have to re-post them)

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
    Yea! I think you'll be happy with it. I typically use it in the "flying diamond" pattern (poles at each end of the main seam). Check out some youtube vids on set-up and give it a go in the backyard for practice. I usually lay it out and stake and loosely guy out the wings (the corners without poles). Then stake and guy out 2 lines at 90 degree angle from the main pole corners of the Noah. Loop the grommet of the Noah on your tarp pole tip, loop each guy out line on top of the Noah (and tarp pole tip) and raise the pole. This will stabilize the pole and hold it upright. Then, grab the Noah from underneath and walk down the seam line, holding it, keeping tension until you get to the other pole corner. Insert the second pole's tip into the grommet, loop the staked guy lines over the pole tip and raise that pole. Go around and adjust each guy line and each of the poles until you get the height you want and the proper tension on each guy line. Sounds difficult, but it really goes quickly and is easy once you do it. You'll have that "aha" moment. From then on, it's fast (even faster if two of you raise it up). The more you use it, the better you'll get at knowing how to configure it to the conditions.

Fyi...in windy conditions, I attach an additional guy line with carabiners to the main corner pole connections at the Noah's nylon loop. Not only does it add to the safety and strength of the "hold", it really helps when taking it down when it's windy as the entire tarp is still staked and held at each of the 4 corners even when you drop the poles. Gives you time to fold it up using the wind to your advantage (by picking the corner you want to undo first) rather than having it blow all over. I also carry some additional guy line cord already pre-tied with a line adjuster and a carabiner at the end. If you need to...you can quickly clip the carabiner to one of the Noah's nylon loops along the edge and stake that line down. No need to tie a knot. Really fast way to add a line if you need to.

We had 3 people helping with ours. We draped the tarp over the picnic table and held the two ends of the diagonal with the kelty poles and tied down one end at a time. Then we tied one corner to a tree stump and the other to the Eureka pole. The tarp did fall at first, because we had one corner tied off sharing a stake with something else that fell (unfortunately when your whole campsite is tied together, one thing falling tends to be a catastrophe) but once we gave that pole its own stake we were golden.

Here's what we had:

So. Pics, tips, tricks, your setup, your tarp, share away!
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: Let's talk about tarps!

My best suggestion for any tarp is to put a bungee cord on every line. That not only makes it easier on the tarp in the event of high winds, it also helps to lessen the damage to tarp and human when said human manages to walk into one.
    Last edited by MacGyver; 04-22-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I've never used a tarp, except as a sleeping shelter. Next time I'm on a week long campout I think I'll give it a try.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I can't use tarps tied to trees at the park I spend most time at so just bought a Kelty SunShade which looks sort of like this:

The model I have (no longer in production) has one side that is longer than the other.

I do like the way you set up your tarp as it joins all the tents together and shades the picnic table.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I suggest learning the taught line hitch knot. That way you can adjust te tarp as needed. Plus using a toggle through the grommets.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Kingquad has it exactly right. Learn to tie a tautline hitch knot which will be tied to a stake in the ground or around a tree. You can adjust/readjust how taught each line is. Here is a video that shows how easy it is to tie a tautline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-xZFUVR-M
            Moss Big Dipper
            Alaskan Guide 8
            Alaskan Guide 6
            NorthFace Tadpole 23
            ALPS Exteme 3
            Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

One other thing. Always put your line tensioner (hitch or plastic thingy) next to the tent or tarp, not the stake. That way you don't have to bend over to tighten the line.
              This guy does the same setup as me, with some difference in cordage.
              http://youtu.be/XCfKu7QGTa8
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thank you - The taught line tie, I just learned by the video and it will help me a lot this summer ! With my big tarp.

Comment

I'm just starting to see the use of silpoly tarps instead of the silnylon ones. The silpoly tarps do not stretch as much as silnylon which reduces the need to constantly adjust the tautness of the tarp. They are not readily available but they're out there.

Another trick is to use a Prusik knot at each end of the tarp if it is hung on/over a ridgeline. That will allow you to adjust the tension on the tarp across the ridgeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey0ILI1hrDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEpagec4fQI
                  Moss Big Dipper
                  Alaskan Guide 8
                  Alaskan Guide 6
                  NorthFace Tadpole 23
                  ALPS Exteme 3
                  Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Working...
                  X