• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Problem Campers??

Good story...

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      So, while Chuck was cooking the kids, you learned to play Old Maid??????

Had to read that twice...
      Secret's in the sauce...
      Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
      Nights under the stars:
      2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
      2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

This year the Princess (AKA DGD) has learned to fart on command. Already told her if she does that outside the house I'm gonna beat her(I'm always threatening to beat her and she always laughs at me...guess I'm not quite believable:awwgoodgoodgood.
        Oh and kids walking thru the campsite doesn't drive me up the wall but adults do.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          This year the Princess (AKA DGD) has learned to fart on command.
          Now that's a skill I would like to learn.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Problem campers are probably the best reason for back-country camping.

The only things I really can't stand in campgrounds is generators, firecrackers, and guns... oh ya, and the stink of cigarette smoke coming from the next door camp.

Besides that, the rest is mostly attitude. I don't mind the sound of kids screaming with excitement or visiting my campsite to show me the dead crawdads they found. The drunk youths taking up several campsites.... ah yes, but by the next day, at least half of them will be a lot more quiet. barking dogs can be annoying, but I let it roll.

Try not to let stuff bother you. Some folks go camping to "get some peace and quiet" Crazy as it sounds, if you want peace and quiet... better to stay home.

Comment

Well, like I said, I wasn't expecting quiet for this campground. I was just surprised at how polite and considerate the large group of drunk bachelor party guys over two nights were in comparison to the family group that only stayed a few hours.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Some motorcycle buddies and I camped at a 'family campground' once. Best of the lot from what experience I have had. The tent-only section was across the road from the RV/TT section, that helped a lot! The vehicles, including our bikes, were parked at the roadside. We hauled our gear down a berm to the tent site. There was a concrete wall inset into the berm, making a sort of semi-bunker. At night, on the road it was noisy from the RV/TT crowd. Down in our bunker, it was almost dead quiet! We slept like logs. A few kids walked the nature trial just behind us, but they were well-behaved.
                At another campground, we camped Friday night, and some young people were partying hearty.... and noisy! One idiot played guitar and sang (badly) til 2AM. We were not amused. Camp host did not do his job. We left for the rest of our roadtrip, returning to this CG on Monday night - only us and one single woman who pitched her tent a couple spaces away. Very nice and quiet. I learned to try to camp on week nights - Mon through Thurs - at these 'family CGs'.
                Last edited by Bigdog57; 06-05-2015, 05:42 AM.
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                  Great story, thanks for sharing. I have had some similar experiences. I never understand why a family takes the space right next to you when the loop is mostly empty. Then the kids best buy gift card glitch run up and down the road all day with the parents yelling at them. Maybe if they spent some time teaching the kids manners at home, they would behave better in public. I've had better luck camping next to the 20 somethings then families with kids. I like kids, but like a good dog, they need to be trained.
                  Amen.
                  Last edited by KingoftheThrone; 07-15-2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

We always camp from Mon.-Thurs. Let the kids have a good time on the weekends. I'll be at home watching sports. The best of both worlds.
                    Nights camping in 2013-----12
                    Nights camping in 2014----- 4
                    Nights camping in 2015------8

Comment

Originally posted by gatordude View Post
                      We always camp from Mon.-Thurs. Let the kids have a good time on the weekends. I'll be at home watching sports. The best of both worlds.
                      Our camping time includes weekends but we always start and end our travel time on Wednesday. According to AAA it's the least traveled day of the week.
                      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Alright.....I'll admit it: last year I was a member of a problem camper group. In fact I organised the trip.

Labor Day weekend we rented an RV as a birthday present for the Princess. She invited 5 similar aged kiddos and most of them piled into the bunkbed end of the RV for late night giggling, threats of disembowelment, and finally snoring.
                        Ah but it was the adults gathered around the camp fire that made the most noise.
                        In particularly a dear friend who felt an undying need to regale us with his playlist of EuroVision Polish entrants. Need I say Poland has nevah won a EuroVision contest not that I actually care who has...........err but I digress:he:.

As he drank more beers his hearing started to fail so he turned the volume up. I'd already gone to bed, so dragged self out of tent and told him he needed to keep it quieter. He protested that it was quiet but I was insistent.

The next morning got a lot of dagger looks from my neighbors who'd finally decided I wasn't a "terrorist" but merely an eccentric middle aged woman after all. That's a different story but but that's what can happen camping in a new section and wearing a lot of exotic headwraps....

Went to the liquor store the next morning and bought a luverly bottle of Prosecco for my closest nabes who'd even allowed our extra car to park on their site prolly much to their regret. Left it on their doorstep with an apology note and skeddaled off into I-95's traffic . I'll find out this year if we've been forgiven...
                        2017:

Comment

I think your story illustrates the difference I saw in the two groups - the guys were decent enough to understand their behavior might be annoying to others and did what they could to mitigate the issue; the other group could care less about anyone but themselves and the moment.

That's what surprised me the most - a group of 20-something guys are normally very self-centered, but in this case, they were very considerate. The family group was beyond selfish.

In your case, you did what you could to mitigate the circumstances - sometimes, often, just the effort is all that's needed to smooth ruffled feathers. For instance, a screaming toddler is annoying; a screaming toddler with a parent trying to stop the the screaming is bearable; a screaming toddler with a parent ignoring him is unbearable (trade "screaming toddler" for "barking dog", "drunk friend", "obnoxious spouse", etc.)

As for camping in general, I try to adjust my expectations to the circumstances - a weekend trip to a popular seasonal campground is going to have rowdy people, kids, dogs, etc. I know that going in, so I am OK with it for the most part (as with the family group in my OP, there are exceptions). If I do a weekday trip off-season then my expectation is a lot different.

I don't expect Disneyland when in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and I don't expect Plefferflaw when I'm in Las Vegas.
                          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Normally I expect the 20 somethings to lose their lil minds so yes it's weird when the older ones go there.

One of these summers I'm going to camp on a water accessible only campground and see if I'll ever wake up to the sounds of nature alone.:glasses:
                            2017:

Comment

I get my "quiet time" in the winter months. This past year, I've woken up to the sounds of cows (yep, the campground had cows grazing on the lands, so you could hear them lowing in a.m.), Canadian geese, crickets... I have a yearly trip to the same campground for my birthday, it's pretty much empty except for me. So quiet and peaceful!!

Comment

Working...
                              X