Problem Campers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Campers??

Went camping this weekend. Went to an army corps of engineer campground on New Hogan Lake. It's one of those lakes that gets a lot of partyers during the summer months. I was hoping I got there early enough not to have trouble.

Arrived on Friday about noon and looked for a nice site. One area was fairly full with just a few empty sites. A bit further down the road, I found a nice site that had 2 empty sites to the right, 4 to the left, and the sites across the road were all empty. Sweet!! So I moved in.

About an hour later, a car pulled into the site on the other side of the one next to me (so we had an empty site between us). The doors were opened and the music was blaring. Several more vehicles arrived and joined up with this one car. Soon, there were two campsites (they took the one across from their first site) filled with young men, booze and loud music.

On Sunday, the men all left. I again had no one near me. Then a couple hours later, two cars drive up and park in the campsite next to me. A pile of little kids, women and a couple dogs poured out of the cars. A bit later, a third car arrived and parked across the road and a couple, a small child and a dog climbed out and joined the others next to me. They stayed the entire afternoon and then left.

What I found very funny is that the guys came over once they got set up to "apologize in advance" for any noise, etc. They said if they got carried away to just holler "shut up" and they'd quiet down. They were having a bachelor party campout for the weekend and just wanted to have fun. They were very polite, they got loud at times, but settled down quickly. The music was sporadic with an occasional loud moment. They had a dog with them (jack russell terrier) who was hyper but never barked and stayed right with them the entire time. Neither the dog nor the people wandered into other campsites. When they left, the campsites were spotless. They picked campsites that put as much distance between them and the rest of us as possible on a fairly crowded weekend. The ranger came by multiple times, but never had to stop and speak with the guys. And there were no complaints from any of the other campers.

In comparison, the 2nd group with the young kids played music non-stop at a "reasonable level". The dogs and kids were constantly being yelled at to stay in their campsite (they kept wandering into mine). The dogs and kids were running into the road. Overheard the mothers several times telling the kids to "poop behind the tree" (guess they couldn't be bothered to walk to the restroom about 4 campsites up). The ranger had to come by and make them re-park the cars because they came in the wrong way (one way road) and parked backwards - at one point one of the women got in a car and drove it around the loop the wrong way while there were campers trying to drive out. When they left (about 4 hours later), there was trash left in the campsite. When they had to move the cars, the woman pulled the first one out, and rather than park it across the road with the 3rd car or in one of the empty sites, she drove it into my campsite and parked it in front of my RV while she moved the 2nd car. At no time did anyone in this group acknowledge me, apologize for the dogs or kids or even the car.

Guess it just goes to show that you can't judge a good camper by appearance.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Problem Campers??

Great story, thanks for sharing. I have had some similar experiences. I never understand why a family takes the space right next to you when the loop is mostly empty. Then the kids run up and down the road all day with the parents yelling at them. Maybe if they spent some time teaching the kids manners at home, they would behave better in public. I've had better luck camping next to the 20 somethings then families with kids. I like kids, but like a good dog, they need to be trained.

Comment

Hogan.....I live 2 mins. from there but never camped there. It is a really nice place when the water is up. Some people just think they are the only ones...or just don't care.
      Hope you still had a good time.
      Jack
      Thrift store tent
      Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

I did have a good time. It will definitely become a "winter campground" for me. Not enough shade during the summer heat for my tastes (prefer the mountains then).
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

10/4 i agree
          Thrift store tent
          Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

There are at least a dozen campgrounds within an hour from me, but I gave up going to family oriented campgrounds years ago for just this reason. Having bath houses and camp stores within walking distance is great, but being within 100 feet of your neighbors and being able to hear their conversations - even when the kids aren't yelling - doesn't work for me.

Comment

I camp with 3 kids. 3 small kids. All under 8.

Sometimes they're loud and excited and laughing, but they aren't lewd or rude and they don't STAY loud. Every now and then I have to get onto them. They are in a strange place and don't always know the exact boundaries. They stay out of other camp sites. If there's kids at YOUR camp site, they'll say hi from the road.

Sometimes my youngest gets hurt somehow and will cry. This isn't always a quiet affair but it doesn't last long.

We don't play music (mostly because there's no room or time for my guitar). We go to bed early.

So I'm apologizing in advance for the times that we may be one of "those" campers.
              Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
              Nights under the stars:
              2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
              2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post
                I camp with 3 kids. 3 small kids. All under 8.

Sometimes they're loud and excited and laughing, but they aren't lewd or rude and they don't STAY loud. Every now and then I have to get onto them. They are in a strange place and don't always know the exact boundaries. They stay out of other camp sites. If there's kids at YOUR camp site, they'll say hi from the road.

Sometimes my youngest gets hurt somehow and will cry. This isn't always a quiet affair but it doesn't last long.

We don't play music (mostly because there's no room or time for my guitar). We go to bed early.

So I'm apologizing in advance for the times that we may be one of "those" campers.
                Ah, but see you don't need to apologize - what you describe is normal kid behavior and that is expected in a campground like this. What I took issue with is the human poop in the campsite (and if they didn't care about that, they obviously didn't care about their dogs' poop either), the complete lack of consideration for their camping neighbor, the adult intrusion into my campsite, the disregard for basic rules (one-way road, sure let's go the wrong way because it's more convenient for ME - who cares about the folks trying to drive the right way down the road), etc.

I will also never understand the logic of coming into a pretty much empty campground and setting up in the site right next to the only other camper. Heaven forbid you put a couple spots between you - nope gotta park yourself RIGHT NEXT to that other camper.

I just thought it was interesting that the group of 10+ young guys having a bachelor party were more well-behaved than this family group.

Comment

That is pretty funny!

My kids know I don't have a problem with them peeing on the tree behind their tent--AT NIGHT--so they don't get lost finding the bathroom. But during the day? And poop? If they gotta poop they can come find me and we can walk!

(Funny story, I did poop on a camp site once. I got very, very sick... very, very quickly, and made a beeline for the trees behind our tent because NO WAY would I make it to the bathroom. But yeah, exigent circumstances there... and I paid for it for WEEKS because I got covered in chiggers!!)
                  Nights under the stars:

Comment

I did it once in that sort of an emergency also - the nearest bathroom was about a mile back on the trail, but these folks were just too lazy to walk the kid to the restroom (up a slight hill about 4 or 5 sites away). And I heard them tell the kids that twice while they sat around the picnic table chatting. They were there between about 1:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., so no "it's dark" issues, etc. Just pure laziness. And if it had been pee, I wouldn't have been bothered - but poop is different (especially when I'm expected to clean up after my dogs the entire weekend).

Comment

Blech. >_<
                      Nights under the stars:

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post
                        We don't play music (mostly because there's no room or time for my guitar).
                        No room for your guitar? You are doing it wrong! That's essential gear.
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                          No room for your guitar? You are doing it wrong! That's essential gear.
                          Where?!
                          https://campminion.wordpress.com/201...fenokee-swamp/
                          You see that truck!! Lol
                          Nights under the stars:

Comment

Well, you could ditch the bikes. Let the kiddos WALK. But yeah, I've carried gear in a open pickup in S. Ga. before. I wouldn't want a guitar, even in a decent case, to be subjected to that kind of torture.
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

So, while Chuck was cooking the kids, you learned to play Old Maid??????

Had to read that twice...

Comment

Working...
                              X