WTB - Campfire tripod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB - Campfire tripod

Looking for a heavy duty, well-designed campfire tripod for use with a dutch oven. I see lots of them on the internet....but not sure which one is good quality and well designed. Anyone who has good feedback on one that works well for them - let me know!
    Nights camping in 2014: 18
    Nights camping in 2015: 24
    Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Re: WTB - Campfire tripod

If you're good with a drill and a file, or know someone who is, you can make a nearly indestructible tripod out of 1/2" pipe (3/4" if you want it to survive a nuclear holocaust), a nut and bolt, a length of chain and a couple of S-hooks. If you can't find what you're looking for online or in a local store and are interested, I can try to walk you through the design I have in mind. :D
    Last edited by MacGyver; 04-21-2015, 11:36 PM.

Comment

I have an old tripod for a surveyor's transit. I still have to rig up an eye-bolt or some other way of hooking the chain to the top piece, but it should be strong enough to hold just about anything I'd want to hang on it. I think I can imagine what MacGyver has in mind and it should suit your purposes and be stronger than most anything you could buy commercially.
      Mike Hampton
      If it's "it is," it's "it's" otherwise it's "its."

Comment

Originally posted by mhampton View Post
        I think I can imagine what MacGyver has in mind and it should suit your purposes and be stronger than most anything you could buy commercially.
        Yep. Drill a hole through three lengths of pipe near one end, elongate the holes on the outer poles to allow the legs to spread and the hard part is done. Bolt 'em together, hang a length of chain with an S hook at each end. Done.

Comment

I just bought one online made in usa and the poles are too short.. any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandyo87 View Post
            I just bought one online made in usa and the poles are too short.. any suggestions?
            See if some EMT conduit or other metal tubing will fit fairly snug around the poles you have. Cut to desired length and run a nut and bolt through each leg.

Comment

Working...
            X