Quality Water Containers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Water Containers?

As someone who camps primarily in Arizona....I realize water and water containers are likely more important to me than non-Arizonans on this site.

But I'm hoping to get some gear recommendations from others. Have you found quality water containers? I.e., something that carries 5 or 7 gallons - that is well designed (doesn't leak, spout actually opens and closes and stays closed? It seems every container I've purchased over the last few years may work for a few trips....and then suddenly begins to drip, drip, drip....or tips over and then splits a seam. Grrrrr.

I don't mind paying for quality....but I need some recommendations from others that have found a good, quality water jug.
    Nights camping in 2014: 18
    Nights camping in 2015: 24
    Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Re: Quality Water Containers?

Walmart sells the tall skinny ones for under $10 each. The shorter square ones that are 5-gallons each are nice too, but don't fit into narrow spots. I think you can't go wrong with either of these. A few minutes on the 'net should bring up the brands - the skinny ones are made in Canada and we use them currently.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I've had the same experience with every container that has a spigot. They all eventually leak, so I avoid them and stick with the simple designs. I have 3 5-gallon military water carriers that are made of some seriously thick plastic but they don't have spouts. The one I use most is an Igloo 6 gallon. It has a spout that stores inside just like gas cans and a handle on the back end that makes pouring easy.

Last edited by MacGyver; 04-17-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input - I'm going with the spout type on my next purchase I think. At least this confirms that I'm not the only one out there that has trouble with the spigot containers.
        Nights camping in 2014: 18
        Nights camping in 2015: 24
        Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

It's not too hard to find new poly spigots for replacements, industrial supply (think nuts & bolts) hardware outfits carry them for a few dollars plus gaskets. I like the spout-type Canadian containers at WalMart because I can place them behind a car seat and their vertical nature saves space inside my Prius.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I've had two of these for about 4 years now. Love em' !!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/7-gallon-W...-Spigot/872426
            2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

I really like the Reliance 7g Jumbotainer

Comment

I have several of the 7 gallon Aqua Tainers, and used to think very highly of them. But as they have aged, the plastic spigots become brittle and tend to break off easily. I am now researching a better alternative. I am leaning towards the heavy duty milspec water cans.
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                X