3 Hinge camp stove - homemade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Hinge camp stove - homemade

It's been a while since I shared something, but I couldn't help myself with this "oldie but a goodie". Here's a really cool way to make a portable camp stove out of hinges. I remember seeing this old trick years and years ago. Worth sharing for sure!
    Hopefully the following link will work. It's a youtube video that shows how to make it.

https://youtu.be/gAo7zu0LrIQ

Re: 3 Hinge camp stove - homemade

Well that's really cool and nice + low cost. Not allowed to make ground fire anymore where I camp but if there's a pre-existing fire pit be a great way to cook w/o the expense or weight of a stove :glasses:.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Would work great over a Dakota fire pit. I bet it is hotter than hell when you are done cooking on it. Make sure to let it cool before storage.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
        Well that's really cool and nice + low cost. Not allowed to make ground fire anymore where I camp but if there's a pre-existing fire pit be a great way to cook w/o the expense or weight of a stove :glasses:.
        just curious where your not allowed to make ground fire?
        NY?
        generally fires for cooking/heating are allowed on just about all state forest lands

Comment

like the idea of it
          but question sturdiness of hinges
          might be tight when new or when rusted
          but under some weight see the hinges folding and collapsing
          personal would try to alter that and use L shaped brackets instead

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            just curious where your not allowed to make ground fire?
            NY?
            generally fires for cooking/heating are allowed on just about all state forest lands
            Oh sorry I wasn't clearer........you can make fires in designated areas but NOT just anywhere on the ground which is what the video showed. In NYS, CT, MA......gosh everywhere I've been in the NE in the last decade or so. Some parks don't have state built fire pits and you have to rent or bring a fire pit with you.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Many places in California won't let you have open fires for any reason even if there is a premade fire pit, etc.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                Many places in California won't let you have open fires for any reason even if there is a premade fire pit, etc.
                Being a California resident, I'm going to guess that you're referring to RED FLAG conditions where extreme winds and low humidity make it dangerous to have flying embers off of an open campfire. You can still have open fires in certain areas, depending on the regulations of who is managing the park/forest/campground and local conditions. We are experiencing one today in San Diego County until this evening.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Pretty cool stove.....Just be careful about the Galv. coating....Can be deadly as it burns off.....
                  Jack
                  Thrift store tent
                  Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

Circa 1917;
                    https://archive.org/stream/kinksbook...ge/12/mode/2up
                    Page 13

Enjoy!

Edit; be aware that some things in this book may be hazardous... use common sense and think about consequences before trying them.
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 03-03-2016, 09:31 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                    X