Perma Chill Extreme Ice Freezer/Refrigerators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perma Chill Extreme Ice Freezer/Refrigerators

I just saw a Gander Mtn. add for the Perma Chill Ice Substitutes.
    The claims for the Refrigerator are to keep your cooler under 40 degrees and the Freezer packs to keep your cooler under 20 degrees starting with frozen foods and a fully packed cooler. I'm really tempted to jump for them priced from around $20-$30 each.
    I hate the melted ice water in the bottom of my cooler from bagged ice. I start out with frozen blocks in milk type jugs but they won't last all week in July here in mid-MO. Just looking for some feedback if there is any. The add states they are new for 2015.
    Really looking forward to some time out and away before July as well. I have to buy a new mower first and get caught up on the grass first. Then it is off to the country and the farm pond!:meuh:

Re: Perma Chill Extreme Ice Freezer/Refrigerators

My advice is make your own block ice (or take the ice out of the bags) using tupperware-type containers and drain the water offer now and then. Both techniques will make your ice last longer due to the way heat exchanges between solids, liquids, and gases. If someone tells you that keeping the water inside your cooler makes the ice last longer, smile at them, nod your head, and pretend you agree with them.
    Last edited by tplife; 04-15-2015, 08:43 AM.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by BluegrassLady View Post
      I just saw a Gander Mtn. add for the Perma Chill Ice Substitutes.
      The claims for the Refrigerator are to keep your cooler under 40 degrees and the Freezer packs to keep your cooler under 20 degrees starting with frozen foods and a fully packed cooler. I'm really tempted to jump for them priced from around $20-$30 each.
      I hate the melted ice water in the bottom of my cooler from bagged ice. I start out with frozen blocks in milk type jugs but they won't last all week in July here in mid-MO. Just looking for some feedback if there is any. The add states they are new for 2015.
      Really looking forward to some time out and away before July as well. I have to buy a new mower first and get caught up on the grass first. Then it is off to the country and the farm pond!:meuh:
      Just saw them for the first time via google and they look good but there is no description of what they are filled with..is the filling the same as blue packs?

I use homemade blocks of ice as tipilife advocates and you note as well. My favorite (free!) containers are the rectangular juice bottles with tops since they take up less space. One bottle in every corner and at least one in the center. However I also use purchased blue ice packs and thin sheets of blue ice from WM to line the cooler and fill in air pockets. Finally, after the food is in place I throw in a bag or 2 of ice which yes will make items wet if the food isn't stored in individual containers or bags. I tend to go on one long trip per year of 2 weeks and still have lil bits of ice on day 6-9 (depends on the temperature and storage site) with little add in ice.

What kind of cooler are you using and does it have a drain?
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My big cooler is an older Coleman with a drain then I have a smaller one without a drain. I've been considering replacing one or both with a new Coleman Extreme or other well rated cooler, just hadn't pulled the trigger yet.
        I'm grateful for the insight so far guys!

Comment

Originally posted by BluegrassLady View Post
          My big cooler is an older Coleman with a drain then I have a smaller one without a drain. I've been considering replacing one or both with a new Coleman Extreme or other well rated cooler, just hadn't pulled the trigger yet.
          I'm grateful for the insight so far guys!
          I'd try getting a Coleman Extreme before getting the Perma Chill Ice subs; nice bang for the buck. I have an Extreme 6 day and 5 day. One functions as my freezer so it's opened less frequently (and only by me; I know where everything is). The other is the "fridge. I also use a 3rd cooler as a beverage cooler ( Igloo Maxi-Cold) which isn't as insulated or designed as well as the Colemans but since people are constantly in it I care less. I do know that when I choose to replace my beverage cooler it wont be this version of Igloo's line. Now keep in mind I only use 3 coolers for long trips. On trips of lesser duration I opt for 2. One cooler is separated by a hard plastic cutting board so that one side is the "freezer" and the other the "fridge"; the other cooler is for drinks.

I read somewhere that it's a good idea to chill your cooler and it's contents before you pack it up. I don't have a refrigerator big enough for my coolers to fit into so I just throw sacrificial bags of ice into coolers the night before and they get cold that way. I also cut back on beverage space by making frozen concentrated drinks like iced tea, store them in ziplock bags and then add cold water from the juice ice blocks as they defrost.
          2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

+1 on NYCgrrl comment. I have the Coleman Extreme and we follow just about the same process for pre-camp cooler/food prep and usage at the campsite. I use one cooler for a freezer that only the "grubmaster" is allowed to access and another cooler for ice cubes, snacks, and adult beverages (beer/wine). The kiddos beverages are kept in 2 Rubbermaid drink containers with push button spouts - one has a premix of either kool-aid, lemonade, etc. and the other one contains just water.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I forgot to mention a few other keep it cold tips:

Try and place your coolers in the shadiest spot of your site.
              Cover the top and sides with an old quilt/comforter to insulate the cold. No sewing needed because T or safety pins are your friends.

Try to eliminate air pockets by using square or rectangular shaped plastic containers with sides that have similar dimensions as the tops. Meaning the sides of the container that holds the food in don't slope and become narrower as it reaches the base.
              Snapware Airtight and

Lock & Lock Classic Food Storage Container

both have the perfect shape and a closure that inhibits water from entering

Keep fragile items like eggs in the styrofoam type containers they come in from the store. If your egg supplier still uses cardboard go ahead and buy one of those camping egg holders; the cardboard version disintegrates in the cooler. Keep eggs, and fresh fruits towards the top of the cooler so they don't break/bruise/get lost. If your camping time includes using hard boiled eggs I like to do them at home since it's easier. I keep them in their shells so they last longer but add a coloured vinegar ( balsamic or apple cider) to the water so the hard boiled eggs are distinguished by shell colour from raw eggs in the same container.

Keep items like cheese and butter in a separate plastic container. I tend to freeze the harder cheeses and butter before packing them so they last longer.

This year I'm going to experiment with a plastic covered metal grill cut to fit in the bottom of one of my coolers to see if that will keep certain items from getting soggy. Prolly wont do this until one of my shorter trips when the cooler does double duty.

I'm traveling w/ more kiddos than my norm this year, hoosier, and will try to incorporate your Rubbermaid container idea into my plans. Don't feel like listening to biggest kiddo (the man) whine about warm beer or other kiddos complain about their stuff either:D.
              2017:

Comment

I wrap my cooler in a Space Blanket. Seems to give me an extra day of cold. One of these days I'll might ambitious enough to cut one up and sew it into a form fitting cover, complete with a flap for the lid.

Nah - too much like right.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  I wrap my cooler in a Space Blanket. Seems to give me an extra day of cold. One of these days I'll might ambitious enough to cut one up and sew it into a form fitting cover, complete with a flap for the lid.

Nah - too much like right.
                  Hehehehe.....believe or not I'm a pretty good sewer but I think this is a classic case of the cobbler's children having no shoes. Been putting off actually making a cooler cover fer years now. Even found a piece of quilted fabric in my stash that's the perfect width for covering the sides w/ no cutting needed. Andddddd it's colour coordinated to my tent! (Did I just write that? Yeah I did:he And yet every year it's the same thing: pinned together.
                  Good to hear that space blankets (is that the mylar type?) insulate cold........was kinda wondering about that. Nowwwww I can procrastinate making the covers until the NYC Marathon when they are used once and thrown away by the thousands:yipi:.
                  2017:

Comment

I had a friend show me to take a white terry cloth towel (bath towel) and get it damp - or even wet - and lay it over the entire cooler. Keep the towel damp and the evaporation helps keep the cooler MUCH cooler.

Keep in mind - I'm from Phoenix, so most of Arizona is much drier than most other areas....so the evap process may not be AS effective elsewhere - but the science should still work - just to a lesser extent.
                    Nights camping in 2014: 18
                    Nights camping in 2015: 24
                    Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                      Good to hear that space blankets (is that the mylar type?) insulate cold........was kinda wondering about that.
                      I'm talking about the mylar/tarp blankets. The plain mylar sheets tear way too easily. It won't do well for your color coordinating, because I keep the mylar side out to reflect the sun.

http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Outdoo.../dp/B002CQUA3C

This one happens to be blue, but they come in different colors. Shop around and you can usually find them at all kinds of different prices because.... I dunno... I guess some colors aren't as popular? I happen to like the olive when I need to kinda hide something and the orange in case of an emergency and need to get someone's attention.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        I'm talking about the mylar/tarp blankets. The plain mylar sheets tear way too easily. It won't do well for your color coordinating, because I keep the mylar side out to reflect the sun.

http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Outdoo.../dp/B002CQUA3C

This one happens to be blue, but they come in different colors. Shop around and you can usually find them at all kinds of different prices because.... I dunno... I guess some colors aren't as popular? I happen to like the olive when I need to kinda hide something and the orange in case of an emergency and need to get someone's attention.
                        Dangit! No excuse for further procrastination.
                        2017:

Comment

Working...
                        X