multivitamins for survival gear-your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multivitamins for survival gear-your thoughts

just read an article on someone who went a year with barely any food and lots of multivitamins
    had me thinking of adding multivitamins to my emergency gear,
    and when out in the woods my meals are generally very limited, not exactly healthy balanced meals, thinking of taking multivitamins as supplements,
    thinking if there are benefits to MV's can possibly extend limits one can go without food,
    also thinking might give the body that little bit of extra stamina/strength
    dont seem to take much extra weight/space and possibly have very good benefits ,

Re: multivitamins for survival gear-your thoughts

Definitely something to ask your physician about, as they typically have current knowledge about recent patient studies concerning the use of supplements vs. vitamins present in food and how they are metabolized by your body. His (or her) answer may surprise you.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I would second talking to your doctor. Personally, I'm not a big believer in multi-vitamins. I think folks take them without ever knowing if they need the help. My doctor has tested me for vitamin and mineral levels and I'm good - I don't need to add any supplements. A few days with lower amounts going in isn't going to make much difference.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I bought a bottle of the "One A Day Men's 50+" multi-vitamin, as it got rave reviews on another site for us mature guys. BUT..... I am already taking a few supplements with my doctor's okay, and reading the dosages on the bottle, it has far lower amount of these certain vitamins than what I am already taking - so a net loss. And the multivitamin tastes horrid..... Waste of money for me personally. I will stick to my current regimen.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I currently take a multi-vitamin, a super complex vitamin B, & 1500 extra mgs of vitamin C per day. I work 12 hour swing shifts / 28 day rotation & it's just amazing how messed up ones body becomes working this schedule. We have a full time CNP where I work & she keeps a close eye on our health. I've been taking this regimen for about two years now & I do feel better than I did six years ago when I moved to this schedule. To each their own.....Some like them, some don't.
          2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

ive seen 1 dr in past 25 yrs, don't plan on going back anytime soon
            not looking for MV's as daily supplement but curious if they can benefits short term as in camping,
            supplement low nutrition meals,
            and in emergency kit,

Comment

I think if they worked for this sort of thing, there'd be tons of multivitamins for sale at REI, etc.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

To me, emergency survival gear means a short-term survival situation. If you are thinking "Bug-out bag" - well, maybe, but I'd rather pack extra ammo.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

vitamins are like puzzle pieces that help you use the nutrition in the foods that you eat. You can use vitamins by themselves for a few days, but vitamins alone are no substitute for food. In fact, vitamins by themselves are body stressors. Taking vitamins without food is especially hard on your kidneys.

Comment

Working...
                  X