Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent browsing for something to backpack with

Whats up everyone.

I am finally giving in to my urge to sleep outdoors, and I'm starting my hunt for gear to do so. Starting off with looking for the right tent. My budget is kind of tight and I know when tent shopping cheap and effective normally are not used in the same sentence so I'll try to avoid that. During my searching I did come across this tent http://www.wayfair.com/Hooligan-2-Te...8-CLM1210.html. Some of the reviews for it have been decent save for the weak support poles which many recommend replacing. I have been looking at this tent and the 3 person variant. I am just hoping to get some feed back from people that have a bit of experience in this field. Also I saw a video where a guy that got the 3 or 4 person variant of the tent had "waterproofed it" I was wondering what products may be good for that, or if there were any green products I can imagine that waterproofing agents are some sort of nasty chemical blend.

Re: Tent browsing for something to backpack with

Over 7 pounds - that is extremely heavy. Do you need a 2-person tent?
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I would take a pass on the Hooligan 2. Too many compromises in design and materials in order to keep it's price point low in my opinion:
      • Heavy for backpacking (large 2p footprint size, fiberglass pole/tarp-material floor are culprits).
      • Uses weaker fiberglass pole instead of aluminum (as your research discovered).
      • Water column rating of fly is very low at only 450mm (I like to see at least 1200mm).
      • Uses pole sleeve instead of clips.
      • Vestibule zipper design on 2p allows water to drip into inner tent (and contents) upon exit/entrance during rain or when fly is wet.
      • Requires staking to set up and stay up-not freestanding.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I agree with A65 hooser on many points... Consider that had the tent come from one of the quality manufacturers, fiberglas (spelled here in honor of Owens-Corning's trademark) poles would not be a weak point...Have you heard of helicopter blades? Some poles have used that technology with great success. The Hooligan model you mention is definitely not one of them, but let's give it points for a full-coverage rain fly. With appropriate covers and velcro closures, the fly zipper need not be a leaker, but again, this appears to be an inexpensive tent with minimal features, dated design, thin waterproof coatings (and maybe no polyester fabric at all) and thus its pitfalls in challenging conditions. Lol, there are worse choices out there.
        Last edited by tplife; 05-26-2015, 04:16 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
        X