Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the 5 best state parks to camp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the 5 best state parks to camp??

Federal ones get all the love, lets hear from the state park enthusiasts!

Love to hear about other peoples top 5 state parks !!!

I would also love to hear your opinion if your from Wisconsin!

Re: What are the 5 best state parks to camp??

That's a hard one to answer - depends on what you are looking for. My favorite was not actually a state park, but a Corps of Engineers park. But as state parks go, there was one on the Gulf Coast of MS, on the Pascagoula River, that I particularly liked.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

My favorite state park is on the shores of Lake Erie. http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/geneva
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I have a problem with our state parks. They have pretty much unilaterally banned dogs from trails. They have a selection of reasons that vary between reasonable and ridiculous. The former being protecting the elephant seals; the latter being there are rattlesnakes (so it's not safe to take your dog hiking, but it's fine to take your 3 year old). Since they only allow dogs in the campground and on the paved roads, and you are not allowed to leave your alone at your campsite, then they have basically removed all incentive for me to visit them. Instead I go to the federal forests where my dogs can hike with me.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I think it varies both by parks and by state.

For instance, in Georgia, a campsite at a state park is $35/night. That is INSANE. In addition to this, you cannot reserve anything site-specific. We're doing the Okefenokee this weekend (Stephen C Foster state park) and the website says a site will be "assigned" to you upon arrival. I'm going to ask if I can have two side by side or across (we have friends following a few hours later) but of course it's all at the mercy of the person at the front desk--and hopefully we will get a decent site. Hopefully.

Florida state parks are $28/night as of the last time we reserved. We've been to Florida Caverns, St Joseph Peninsula and both were very nice. You get to pick your site online and there are pictures of each site.

We started looking at parks all over the US as we want to tent-camp our way from south Georgia to Lake Tahoe and back in 2016. As it turns out, Georgia state parks are the highest prices around--more than double what most of the country is charging.

We don't take the dog with us (I already have 3 small kids, I just can't do it at this point, she stays with friends) because many places we camp don't allow the dog to GO anywhere (ie beach) so someone always has to stay behind at the site.

Most places say "no alcohol" but what that actually means is that it's a way to kick out those that cannot drink responsibly.

State parks allow firearms carry (this is a non-negotiable thing for us, so for the time being we do not camp at any Corps of Engineers parks). (I'm referring to AL, GA, and FL here)
          Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
          Nights under the stars:
          2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
          2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Last time I was in Georgia (that was last year) they had a 1/2 price camping deal. I think that was Reed Pierce state park. I plan to stay there again this year. $15/night is not too bad. They had washers and dryers too. I disregard no alchohol/no firearms regs anyway, so that is not a factor for me.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Back to the OP's question - I'm not from Wisconsin....but camped throughout the state throughout my youth (grew up in Iowa). I have to say I most enjoyed the State Forest and State Parks in the Minocqua/Woodruff area. Crystal Lake, Plum Lake, Lake Tomahawk - but I really enjoyed the Firefly campground. Was a bit less busy - beautiful campsites - had some privacy between sites due to the dense forest. Awesome.
              Nights camping in 2014: 18
              Nights camping in 2015: 24
              Nights camping in 2016: 20

North Face Tadpole 23 - Mountain Hardwear Casa 6 - Guide Gear 18x18 Teepee

Comment

If I had to choose, I'd say among the parks I've visited I'd pick:
                1) Hunting Island State Park, SC Fantastic beach campsite positioned right behind the dunes, you can feel the ocean breeze and listen to the surf at night. Plus, they have fishing pier that offers free loaner equipment (it's also a decent pier for crabbing). In addition, some nice hiking trails through the forest, miles of unspoiled beach and kayaking in the marsh and lagoon.

2) St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, FL again offers nice camping just a short distance from the beach...you can hear the surf if you're camped in the Ocean Breeze campground (my favorite of the two they offer). The park is adjacent to a wilderness area that also offers primitive hike in camping and a nice (though strenuous due to the soft sand) hike). The bay side offers good kayaking.

3) South Bass Island State Park, OH Offers beautiful campsites on a bluff overlooking Lake Erie. The park is small, so you can hike the trails in a day :-), though the lake offers good kayaking when the lake is calm.

4) If your camping leans towards the primitive, you might enjoy Cayo Costa State Park, FL. It's another campground set adjacent to the beach on an island in the Gulf. Water, flush toilets and cold water (outdoor) showers are offered, but no other facilities. Access is via a private ferry or boat.

5) Last but certainly not least is the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, MI. Beautiful remote wilderness with stunning vistas. The park is set in the Porcupine Mountains of Michigan's upper peninsula near the Wisconsin border and also abuts Lake Superior.

Craig
                Where we've camped so far (as an adult...many more when I was a kid :-)

Comment

My all time favorite State Park, going all the way back to my childhood is Peninsula State Park, in Fish Creek WI. That is one of Door Counties treasures.
                  Another favorite is Koehler Andre State Park in Sheboygan WI. This park has a white sand beach that goes as far as you can see. It reminds me of Florida without the long drive. I'll be camping there again next week.

Comment

High Cliff is nice in Wisconsin, we just 5 days there for our yearly family get together. The Northern unit of Kettle Moraine is also nice. I prefer the campgrounds in the Nicolet National forest, not as many people!

Comment

Probably the best of the best is Rock Island State Park in Northeast Wisconsin. It is an island it juts out into the Bay of Green Bay and Lake Michigan. The dude who invented the transformer actually owned the island at the turn of the century. He built a fantastic stone library it is built out onto the water so he could drive his speed boat into the library and bring his friends upstairs for Entertainment in front of a gigantic Viking fireplace.

Half of the island is one gigantic white sand beach. The island includes a lighthouse, ancient graveyard, and other interesting sites. The island is uninhabited, and only campers are allowed on the island overnight. It is a fantastic journey. It is not easy to get to, so you have to stay for several days to make it worth the journey.

Last edited by Mike; 07-17-2015, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I'm a novice and click in for tips! Thanks all info.

Comment

Working...
                        X