Anyone try the Eureka Jade Canyon 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone try the Eureka Jade Canyon 6

I was planning to upgrade my old 4 person tent with a Eureka Equinox. My girlfriend wants more room and basically I only do car camping now. I've always had Eureka tents and I've never been let down.

I was about to buy it when I noticed its been discontinued. It seems the heir to that class is the Jade Canyon.

It looks nice, I just hate spending $360 bucks on something I can't see set up and as far as I can tell has never been reviewed on-line.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, even if you just saw it in a show room.

Thanks for any help,
    Dave

Re: Anyone try the Eureka Jade Canyon 6

Originally posted by asleep75 View Post
    I was planning to upgrade my old 4 person tent with a Eureka Equinox. My girlfriend wants more room and basically I only do car camping now. I've always had Eureka tents and I've never been let down.

I was about to buy it when I noticed its been discontinued. It seems the heir to that class is the Jade Canyon.

It looks nice, I just hate spending $360 bucks on something I can't see set up and as far as I can tell has never been reviewed on-line.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, even if you just saw it in a show room.

Thanks for any help,
    Dave

Hi Dave! Welcome to the Forum!

I do not have nor have I seen the Eureka Jade Canyon. And you're right - no reviews of it online. Ugh...must be a very new model.

However, it appears the Jade Canyon 6 is an upgraded version of Eureka's popular Copper Canyon 6. All size dimensions are the same. Same layout. Warranty is one year on the Jade...limited lifetime on the Copper (not sure what the "limited" is). The main physical differences are in pole materials and waterproof ratings of the fabrics. The Jade uses stronger (but lighter weight) aluminum poles across the top section whereas the CC uses fiberglass. Both have similar sized steel poles for the main corner support poles. Water proof ratings and fabrics are as follows:

Copper Canyon:
    [fly] 75D 190T polyester taffeta, PU coating (1200mm), [body] 75D 190T polyester taffeta, PU coating (1200mm), 68D polyester no-see-um mesh, [floor] 75D 190T polyester taffeta, PU coating (1200mm)

Jade Canyon:
    [fly] 75D Stormshield polyester, PU coating (1800mm), [walls] 75D polyester, PU coating (1800mm), 68D polyester no-see-um mesh, [floor] 75D polyester, PU coating (2000mm)

I feel the differences in waterproof ratings are fairly substantial, esp on the floor coatings. Whether the difference in having aluminum top poles and heavier waterproof coatings is worth the additional $100 (CC=$260, JadeCanyon=$360) is really up to you.

There are a few forum members who have Copper Canyon models and are quite pleased with them. Perhaps they will chime in and give you some insight. You can also look online for reviews on the Copper Canyon and know that with the Jade Canyon you will still be getting everything that is on the Copper Canyon, but with some additional weather protection on the fabric.

Happy Camping! Let us know what you decided and why. Share any pics once you get out camping.

Take care.

Brian - a65hoosier
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Hi, asleep75, and welcome!

I've been a Copper Canyon owner for several years and it's really kept me and mine happy. When comparing the Jade Canyon (yep it's new for this year) I'm impressed by the poles and flooring in particular. Never had any problems w/ my poles on the CC but knew they could be stronger. The flooring material of the CC is it's weakest point; I got around it by using a foldable plastic rug atop it. The Jade doesn't seem to need the rug in terms of durability. The other problem you can encounter with the Copper is sticking zippers. I found the trick to that was NOT pulling the exterior side poles too far out. I fill out every survey Eureka comes out with and suggest they use YKK zippers on their products but they are still thanking me but disregarding my thunk, LOL. I would not be surprised if they use the same zippers on the Jade but the info is not included in their specs. You can always call them to find out; they are pretty informative @ their toll free telephone number.

Never had any problems with lighting the Copper C's interior so don't know what the true value is of the Jade's reflective roof panels. Both models have a small port for an electrical cord but I've never used mine since I try to resist the pull of electronics whilst camping. We take cellphones and a Kindle and all are charged via the car or surreptitiously in the camp's bathroom.
      The Jade has more storage pockets than the Copper but actually I've never used the storage garage or curtain pockets of my tent, LOL.

If for whatever reason you decide to go with the Copper version check out the outlet section of the Eureka website as they have some discontinues and refurbrished tents on sale for some really great prices. I just bought a Copper 4 for an excellent price. You can call and speak directy with the Binghamtom, NY outlet for questions about the condition of the tents they are selling

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/default.asp
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Wow. Thanks, both of you. I placed the order this morning and I'll write here my first impressions next month. I think my biggest concerns have been sated by your well written and thought out response. Hopefully the extra room will keep the girlfriend happier on this trip!

Comment

Thanks very much for the comprehensive comparison between the Eureka Jade Canyon and Copper Canyon series tents. I am an avid Eureka devotee. I am finally biting the bullet and replacing my 1967 (yup, you read that right) Eureka Draw Tite tent. This tent has lasted 50 years. The shock cord holding the top of the tent is still in excellent condition. I have had to waterproof the tent a few times, but other than that, the tent has been incredibly reliable for 50 years.

I have been reviewing different tents for my next Eureka purchase which I'm sure will last another 50 years (a legacy for my grandchildren). I had narrowed my choices to the Eureka Copper Canyon and Jade Canyon models. The more robust waterproofing makes the Jade Canyon my choice.

Happy Camping!!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	70812

Comment

Originally posted by bberman42 View Post
            I have been reviewing different tents for my next Eureka purchase which I'm sure will last another 50 years (a legacy for my grandchildren). I had narrowed my choices to the Eureka Copper Canyon and Jade Canyon models. The more robust waterproofing makes the Jade Canyon my choice.

Happy Camping!!!![ATTACH=CONFIG]6046[/ATTACH]
            Last year we bought the (apparently short-lived) Silver Canyon 6. It's basically the same tent as the Jade & Coppers, but with more mesh on the front & back of the inner tent and a full-length rainfly. The materials & coatings are the same as the Jade series. It's seen some heavy rain and wind with no water intrusion whatsoever (other than what was tracked in). Because I'm paranoid about preserving the floor, I also bought a Paha Que tent rug which makes it very easy to clean out after an outing. Pick up the corners, take it out and shake it out. Well worth the $35 I paid for it (they're up to around $50 now, but the prices fluctuate). It's kind of bulky and heavy, but so is the tent.

Comment

Originally posted by ChadVKealey View Post
              Last year we bought the (apparently short-lived) Silver Canyon 6. It's basically the same tent as the Jade & Coppers, but with more mesh on the front & back of the inner tent and a full-length rainfly. The materials & coatings are the same as the Jade series. It's seen some heavy rain and wind with no water intrusion whatsoever (other than what was tracked in). Because I'm paranoid about preserving the floor, I also bought a Paha Que tent rug which makes it very easy to clean out after an outing. Pick up the corners, take it out and shake it out. Well worth the $35 I paid for it (they're up to around $50 now, but the prices fluctuate). It's kind of bulky and heavy, but so is the tent.
              I like the idea of the tent rug. Bookmarked for later. Thanks
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
                I like the idea of the tent rug. Bookmarked for later. Thanks
                I balked at the idea at first since my previous "family" tents have been Colemans with those poly-tarp-like floors that you could walk all over without damaging (if only the rest of the tent were as durable). However, for any tent tall enough to stand in, it's a great investment. If nothing else, it gives you something soft and somewhat warm underfoot and a little extra insurance against your sleeping pad sliding around.

Comment

Working...
                X