Packing Cubes - Not Just for Clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing Cubes - Not Just for Clothing

I had read an article about a couple traveling full-time in their Class B van. They mentioned that they used packing cubes for their clothing because it kept everything neat and tidy and saved space.

I started thinking about it, and decided to give it a try. I first used a couple for my clothing. It really saved space in the clipper cupboards. And I found it very easy to get what I needed without everything falling out. So, I started thinking some more...

I now have all my electronic cords, power cords, hoses, spare batteries, and tools in various packing cubes. I also use one as a "junk drawer" for all those little miscellaneous things that don't have a proper place.

I could see this being very useful for car camping. Unlike plastic bins, the packing cubes are soft-sided so they don't waste space and, depending on the contents, they can be maneuvered into awkward spaces. With all the colors and styles available, you can easily identify which cube contains which stuff. I can see these cubes being great for utensils, paper goods, restroom gear, etc. Things that are too small to leave loose but that leave a lot of empty air space when packed in plastic bins or boxes. Pick a color for each camper or for each area (cooking, eating, sleeping, bathing, etc.).

So far, the ones I like the best are the ebags brand. They have a zipper that goes around three sides so you can easily see everything, mesh in the top so things don't get musty (works great for the fresh water hoses because they can dry out while in the cube), and a handle on the back sides so you can grab them easily. The nylon fabric is slick enough that it doesn't catch on stuff, but not so slick that they slide off each other. The large ebag cube will fit (adult size): 2 heavy sweatpants, 3 knee length shorts, 4 tank tops and 2 t-shirts. The large slim ebag cube and the small ebag cube will hold pretty much the same: 8-16 D batteries, 24 pack of AA batteries, and 24 pack of AAA batteries.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Packing Cubes - Not Just for Clothing

Thank you for sharing this information on the ebags packing cubes. I had NO idea something like this even existed. I can envision several uses for this type of product. They come with YKK zippers, finished interiors, along with ebag's lifetime guarantee. Plus....super online reviews across the product line/sizes.

Link to Amazon for packing cubes example: http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Packing-...+packing+cubes
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

My pleasure. They have really been great to keep things put away and organized. I like them so much better than the plastic totes.

Amazon's prices are the same as the ebags.com, but they don't have all the different colors available for each set. The set you linked to is a great starting point. It will give you an idea of the different sizes, then you can figure out what works best for you.

I also have these packing envelopes. I use them for tools - each type of tool is in an envelope (wrenches, pliers, etc.) and they sit on end side by side so I can just grab what I need at the moment. http://www.amazon.com/Bluecell-Docum...king+envelopes The big one is REALLY BIG.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Seems like you could couple these packing cubes with the ziplock air bags (not sure the correct name) where you can suck all the air out and compress your clothing. Only concern then becomes the weight...

Comment

I'm liking those packing cubes and am waiting for an email back from the company that gives the fabric's denier. Could have an awful lot of applications!
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

If you like the idea of heavy duty packing cubes but don't see anything in the dimensions you think will work for you, check out this guy. Along with a bunch of stock items, he does custom work.

Comment

I don't remember seeing the denier identified on any of the product tags. It's pretty sturdy for its lightness. In moving them, the weakest link would be that being soft-sided, things will shift and heavier items will pull down in certain areas putting pressure on certain seams and/or the handle. How you pack them can counter that a lot. For mine that have heavier items in them (like the one with the 30 amp extension cord), I use both hands to carry them for any distance. For grabbing the cube out of the cupboard, the handle is plenty strong.

Comment

MacGyver - thanks for that link! I've been looking for a bag to store my tripod and monopod, but they are either just a touch too short or a good foot too long, as well as being to big in diameter. Might have to see what he can do for me.

Comment

Working...
                X