Seam sealer / waterproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seam sealer / waterproofing

Neither of us have any experience in this area... DBF used his old Eureka tent for 25 years without once applying any and never had any issues.

So, currently we have two tents:
    REI Kingdom 6 w/ tech garage
    Eureka Copper Canyon 4

Do we need to apply anything before we go camping in Florida? We've taken the REI out before but somehow managed to avoid any torrential downpours. I've heard some tents come already sealed?

Also, what products do you recommend? We can set up in the backyard for a day to air out before our first trip of the year in 2 weeks.
    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
    Nights under the stars:
    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Re: Seam sealer / waterproofing

"Welded Seams", mean just that, no need for seam sealing. Your tents will require periodic sealing, we get away with once every two years and have gotten over 25 years of service in occasional rains form our Sierra Designs and Eureka tents. Any seam sealer will do, seam with two coats using a very small paintbrush over the seams (NO sprays, good God!).
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

According to the websites, both the REI Kingdom 6 and Eureka CY4 have the seams in the fly and floor factory sealed. Generally this means the use of tape over the seams, however, some tent manufacturers are now using a welded seam...esp in the fly (no needle holes from sewing-really nothing to seal). I do not believe your REI or Eureka has welded seams (but they might-I have not seen the newer models in person).

The easiest way to determine if you need to seam seal is to look at the seams on the fly and the floor. If they are taped (on the underside of the fly and on the interior of the floor), and the tape is in good condition (ie newer tent), you're probably good to go.

On older tents (or mistreated tents), tape can deteriorate/crack or come loose. Certain brands/models come straight from the factory without sealed seams....leaving that duty to the consumer. In those cases, it is time to apply a liquid seam sealer. (I like McNetts Outdoor Seam Grip). TP is correct, set-up the tent and apply 2 coats carefully with a brush over the needed areas. Allow the seam sealer to dry thoroughly before taking down and folding the tent up.

Some folks apply seam sealer over every seam they can find. I do not do that. I only apply to those seams that would have exposure to rain, runoff, etc.
      Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-26-2015, 12:34 PM.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I like to break in a tent before taking it on a real trip. I made the mistake of NOT doing this with a Coleman cabin tent, and regretted it. By "break in", I mean set your tent up in the yard, in the nastiest weather you can find. If it doesn't perform at home, then just think how miserable you will be when you're 5 hours from nowhere.

Now, if you find you DO need a seam sealer, you can mix regular ol' silicone sealant (the stuff that comes in a caulk tube) 50/50 with mineral spirits, and mix it really well. Then you take a paintbrush and work it into the seams. If you have a silnylon floor (like most backpacking tents have), you can paint strips across the floor (I like to go diagonal) which will help keep your sleeping bag from sliding all over the place.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
        X