Kodak Canvas size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodak Canvas size question

Hello i wanted to introduce my self and say I look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

I am looking into purchasing a Kodiak Canvas 10x14 spring bar 8 person tent for my family of 5. My concern is if the tent will be to big to fit the tent pads at campsites. . We will be using this tent at many different parks so we will not have the opportunity to investigate the campgrounds before. Localy alot of campgrounds do not even have pads but I remember some of the campgrounds in the National Parks do.

Has anyone ever had issues fitting a 8 person tent on the tent pads some campgrounds provide?

Re: Kodak Canvas size question

All the ones I have been to, you are right at the limit. I think 14' and you will be on the edges. Most of a time that isn't an issue for me. Like you, most of the times in a campground, they don't even have tent pads.
    Let me know if you have any other questions about the Kodiak.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

05Kingquad700 thanks for the response. It looks like you have the exact tent I am looking at. Do you think it is a good fit for a family doing car camping in establish campgrounds? Also do you have any complaints about yours?

This is a new relm for me, my other tent is a two person tent we used for backpacking before kids. I want a quality tent that will keep everybody dry and give plenty of room to make camping as enjoyable experience as possible. I just fear I am going too big and I'm going to have trouble finding campgrounds that the tent will fit in.

Comment

Mfamily5- Welcome to the forum! I can understand your concern regarding tent pads. The answer is unfortunately....it depends on the campground.

Your thoughts on private campgrounds ("probably" no pad) and National Park campground ("probably" some have pads) appears to be generally correct. I remember reading info on camping at some western Nat'l Parks that had pads as small as 8x8. However, I have also camped at some eastern Nat'l parks that had no pad or the pad size was generous. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule you can rely on.

Would it be possible, as part of your research and trip planning for the campgrounds where you will be staying or thinking of staying, to phone them and inquire whether tent pads are used and if so, the pad size? This would at least give you the info you need and prevent a problem upon arrival.

One last thing......depending on the season you're going....I would try to make reservations if at all possible, esp so if you are planning on camping in National Parks (but also not a bad idea at private campgrounds either). They fill up fast during peak seasons.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Most tentpads, or should I say, "flat level spots" I encounter on the two US coasts are usually not any larger than 10 X 10, and for many reasons, we prefer two tents to one behemoth for reasons that include better choices of where on the site to make our pitch. A couple of polyester dual-wall tents weigh half as much and typically, because of their aerodynamic shapes, shed water and wind with more aplomb.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
          X