Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on a new 3 Person Tent - Give me your feedback/experience/thoughts

Hey fellow campers:

I am doing some research and looking around for a 3 person tent that I will be purchasing in the next month or so. I understand 3 persons generally means 2 adults in good comfort with some extra space inside, it could fit 3 adults if you really like each other with no room for anything else inside the tent but pads/sleeping bags/people. I'm 5'10'', wife is 5'2", son is 4'2".

This tent will be somewhat of a multi-tasker. I plan on using it solo for camping when my son has his monthly Boy Scout campouts. I also plan to use it for short 1-2 night backpacking trips with my son (we can split the tent weight between us) and these trips "might" include my wife from time to time (but not often). It may also get some usage for spur of the moment car camping getaways for my wife and I to visit state parks, state forests, etc.

Some general requirements or things I consider to be important:

Weight: Would like to keep it under 7lbs carrying weight so the weight could be split into half or around 3.5lbs for 2 backpackers (I won't be solo carrying this tent-I would come up with other options for solo backpacking).
    Durability: I know this is subjective, but I would prefer more durable thicker fabrics and waterproof ratings and obviously sacrifice the additional weight this durability sometimes requires.
    Doors: Prefer 2 doors to make it easier to get in and out without disturbing others by having to crawl over them to get out.
    Vestibules: Prefer vestibules that are of useful size and shape. Easy to reach zipper, no drips into inner tent when raining, etc.
    Dimensions: Length--minimum 85 inches, Width--minimum 60 inches. If I can get over/above these marks, it would allow me to squeeze in three 20 inch by 72 inch sleeping pads...allowing three of us to utilize the tent in a pinch on a short duration trip.
    Maximum Height: Not critical, but a consideration--I don't want to sit and feel like the ceiling is right on top of me.
    Easy Set-up: Goes without saying. I prefer not to construct origami when a fast setup is necessary.

BUDGET: I'd like to keep this tent under $300.

I have come up with the following 5 "candidate" tents that appear to meet my requirements and would like your comments and feedback. If you have any experience with any of these models, please feel free to share, I'd like to hear about it. These have also gotten pretty good overall reviews on various internet sites. If you have any other ideas regarding 3P tents that you believe are good candidates that I have not listed, please feel free to share those also.

In no particular order, here are the 5. I've provided links to the manufacturers sites with neat pictures. I'll worry about hunting down pricing/sales via the www after I nail down a particular model:

MSR Elixir 3 - http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/te...ixir-3/product
    MSRP: $299
    Packed Weight 6 lbs 13 oz
    Floor Area 84x68 39.5 sq. ft
    Vestibule Area 17.5 (8.75 + 8.75) sq. ft
    Interior Peak Height 41 in
    Packed Size 20 x 8 in
    Number of Doors 2
    Rainfly Fabric 68D ripstop polyester 1500mm Polyurethane & DWR
    Canopy Fabric 40D ripstop nylon
    Mesh Type 20D nylon micromesh
    Floor Fabric 70 taffeta nylon 3000mm Durashield polyurethane & DWR

Marmot Limelight 3 - http://marmot.com/products/details/limelight-3p
    MSRP: $279
    Packed Weight 6 lbs 11 oz
    Floor Area 93x66 42.6 sq. ft
    Vestibule Area 20 (10.0 + 10.0) sq. ft
    Interior Peak Height 46 in
    Packed Size 22 x 8 in
    Number of Doors 2
    Rainfly Fabric 68d 100% Polyester Ripstop 1800mm, W/R, F/R
    Canopy Fabric 68d 100% Polyester Ripstop,F/R
    Mesh Type 40d 100% Polyester No-See-Um Mesh F/R
    Floor Fabric 70d 100% Nylon PU 3000mm W/R, F/R

Kelty Trail Ridge 3 - http://www.kelty.com/p-601-trail-ridge-3.aspx
    MSRP: $250
    Packed Weight 6 lbs 5 oz
    Floor Area 88x72 44.0 sq. ft
    Vestibule Area 18 (9.0 + 9.0) sq. ft
    Interior Peak Height 47 in
    Packed Size 24 x 7 in
    Number of Doors 2
    Rainfly Fabric 75D Polyester, 1800 mm
    Canopy Fabric 68d 100% Polyester
    Mesh Type stats unavailable
    Floor Fabric 68D Polyester, 1800 mm

Marmot Tungsten 3 - http://marmot.com/products/details/tungsten-3p
    MSRP: $249
    Packed Weight 6 lbs 5 oz
    Floor Area 90x66 41.3 sq. ft
    Vestibule Area 18.4 (10.6 + 7.8) sq. ft
    Interior Peak Height 46 in
    Packed Size 22 x 8 in
    Number of Doors 2
    Rainfly Fabric 68d Polyester Taffeta 190T 1800mm F/R
    Canopy Fabric 68d 100% Polyester Taffeta F/R
    Mesh Type 40d 100% Polyester No-See-Um Mesh F/R
    Floor Fabric 68d Polyester Taffeta 190T 2000mm F/R

Big Agnes Blacktail 3 - https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...blacktail2Copy
    MSRP: $280
    Packed Weight 6 lbs 0 oz
    Floor Area 90x70 44.0 sq. ft
    Vestibule Area 18.0 (9.0 + 9.0) sq. ft
    Interior Peak Height 44 in
    Packed Size 21 x 6 in
    Number of Doors 2
    Rainfly Fabric polyester rip-stop with a 1500mm waterproof polyurethane coating
    Canopy Fabric polyester rip-stop and polyester mesh
    Mesh Type stats unavailable
    Floor Fabric polyester with 1500mm waterproof polyurethane coating

As you can see, these all appear to be very similar in size and layout and price, somewhat complicating my decision making. Any feedback/thoughts you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

a65hoosier - Brian
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-26-2015, 06:39 AM. Reason: Edit dimension stats
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Re: Deciding on a new 3 Person Tent - Give me your feedback/experience/thoughts

I have a marmot limelight 3. When I take my daughter car camping, it will fit an 2 Exped Mega Mats. And they fill it up. It is easy to setup and has 2 vestibules. I like it a lot, put I am worried about 3 people. Is there an REI or other sporting good stores where you could actually see if all 3 of you fit. The nice thing about the marmot, is it comes with a ground cloth, tent and full length rain fly. You can leave the tent at home and just use the ground cloth and rainfly to save weight.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Kingquad - Thanks for the info! I did some searching on the forum prior to posting and knew there were a couple of limelight purchases/users, but they were older posts (couldn't find anything on the other brands/models I was looking at). Your feedback is helpful. I actually do have an REI store within 20 minutes of me--so a setup/test in the store is a good idea.

How wide are your Exped Mega Mats? Are they the 7.5 lxw model at 26in or the 10 model at 30in?
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

They are the 10's. I personally think they are the best ones out there. What I like most is the inflate and deflate valves are at the head of the mat. That way, you can over inflate them and release some pressure as you are laying on them. That way you get the perfect pressure.

the only thing I don't like about the Marmot, is that it isn't tall enough for me to stand up in. But no small tents are.

Comment

Kingquad - The Exped Mega Mat is definitely a nice pad and cozy comfort for car camping. I can see how 2 of those with their 30in width would fill the footprint on the Limelight 3. I took a look at the Mega and ultimately went with the Therm-a-rest Luxury MAP pad for our car camping adventures (basically--a bit less expensive than the Exped's). The Lux Maps are 25x77 so 2 of those would give us a little more floorspace should we use the new tent for car camping.

I would be purchasing 20in wide pads (not sure which one) for our backpacking trips, so 2 of those in a 60+ wide tent footprint would allow us some leeway/space. 3 20in pads would definitely fill that same footprint with no extra space at all. Not sure how many times I would actually try to squeeze all 3 of us in that tight of a footprint....probably not often as my wife prefers both space and headroom when we tent camp. And those two don't really apply to a backpacking tent.

I did have the opportunity to stop by REI yesterday to see what they had set-up on the floor. They had a new Marmot Tungsten 3 set-up, which has the same dimensions as the Marmot Limelight 3 so I had a chance to crawl in and test it out. I really like the Tungsten. The pole structure has prebent "knees" and specific clip attachment points which creates zones within the tent and expands the usable volume within the tent. Essentially the tent's lower walls are vertical (because of the knee poles) for the first 12 inches so you have more usable space before the tent walls begin slanting in towards the top. I really like the zoned design in the Tungsten and it's a strong contender for my next tent now that I have seen it. Still a relatively heavy tent though. Decisions, decisions.

Tungsten and the zone design:

FYI....hang onto your Limelight, it may become a "collectible". From what the clerk at REI said, Marmot is phasing out the Limelight series and replacing it with the new Tungsten series. They are not getting in any more Limelights (the only ones they had available were in the orange color-both in store and website). On the other hand, the remaining Limelights around on the internet may go on closeout and be had at a better price eventually.
          Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Keep in mind that REI will be having a 20% off sale at the end of the month. Plus if you are a member, your dividends will be coming out at that time. About the best time to buy a tent, except for the garage sale.

Comment

hoosier - If you want to shave about half a pound off the weight and still have a durable tent (and a few bucks left in the wallet), believe it or not, you might want to check out REI's Half Dome Plus. It's probably the only 2 person tent that I think would actually work for two people. I wasn't paying attention at the register and wound up buying one by mistake. I thought I'd bought the regular sized Half Dome but, while setting it up, I found the ends hanging over the edge of my 8 x 8 platform. It took me about two minutes to realize that I'd bought the Plus. Anyway... I set it up on the ground and was amazed at the space I had around me. It's a bit wider than most 2p tents, no taper and it's l-o-n-g. Also, new for 2015, it's available in several different colors.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                Keep in mind that REI will be having a 20% off sale at the end of the month. Plus if you are a member, your dividends will be coming out at that time. About the best time to buy a tent, except for the garage sale.
                Absolutely. I've been awaiting the arrival of both the 20% off coupon and my 2014 dividend check. Agree now is a good time. Garage sales are ok for gear as long as you know what you need and look it over real good--no REI guarantee on those items.

sigpic

Comment

MacGyver - thanks for the heads up on the REI Half Dome Plus 2. I'll take a look. I was looking at the REI Quarter Dome 3---but it seems like a strange pole structure and tapers in width from one end to the other (that, and it is pricey).

sigpic

Comment

I looked at the Quarter Dome 3, too. From the get go, I wasn't real thrilled with the hubbed poles - on ANY tent, not just REI's. They're rigid plastic and actually only allow for free movement in one direction. That's spells broken hub to me, at least eventually. I remember talking to a woman who owned a hubbed tent and she said she just wrote to the company and had them send her a bag of replacements. THAT says design flaw to me. If anything, the hubs should be rubber or silicone, something that gives and can't scratch the poles. As for the Half domes, they don't use the usual dome tent crossover pole configuration either. It uses what I guess is best called a Double Y configuration. A bit tricky maybe on the first setup, but after that, it makes sense and the tent goes up in minutes. If you do look at it, I'll give you a hint for the short pole that keeps the walls straight. I almost returned the tent because, at first, it seemed that pulling the grommet over the end of the pole was too tight, almost to the point where I thought something was going to rip. An REI rep showed me how to get around that by slightly pushing down on the crossover as you bring the grommet to it. If that doesn't make sense now, it should when you go to set it up.
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 03-17-2015, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Thought I would follow-up on this thread. Selecting this size of a tent was more difficult than I imagined. Complicating my decision was my need to purchase it at REI since I could combine the 20% members discount, my annual dividend, and a couple of gift cards that I received.

MacGyver - I went to REI this past week (it's about 20 mins from my house) and had them set-up a Half-Dome Plus so I could check it out and size it up. It's a great tent with excellent reviews. I liked the various fly colors available. I saw what you meant regarding the cross pole (they also pushed it down to hook into the grommet). It definitely is long and would comfortably fit 2 adults. The width was a bit tight. I ultimately took a pass on this one (although if there is one at the REI garage sale, I might nab it-can't have too many tents-lol).

I was leaning very much into getting the Marmot Limelight 3...it is a sturdy design that has been around awhile-time tested. Great materials/construction/reviews. I ultimately took a pass on this also....REI only had it available in the orange version, both in store and online, and I just don't care for the orange color.

I went ahead and purchased the new Marmot Tungsten 3P yesterday at REI. It contained the features I was looking for in a tent this size. Comes with the footprint. The knee pole design really opens up the interior space, especially down at the floor level. I could have my head almost at the wall and look up and not have fabric hanging right over my face. Just seemed to be roomy. Can also get 3 20 inch pads in it. I got it in green shadow/moss color (not the blaze orange it also comes in). With the 20% off, my dividend, and cards, the cost was minimal.

Marmot Tungsten 3P:

I was hoping to get a chance to try it out this next weekend. We're visiting family in Corydon, IN and rather than staying in a very crowded house, my wife and I will have our sleeping arrangements in O'Bannon Woods State Park (the park is less than 15 minutes away from our relatives). The dear spouse, however, believes this tent may be too "drafty" with all the mesh. Forecast calls for highs in 50's, lows in 30's with 10-15 mph winds so I will be bringing my F&S Cloud Peak 4, which has the ability to be fully zipped, negating any breezes. First chance for the new Marmot will be the middle of April at my son's Scout Spring Camporee.

Thank you everyone that commented as your feedback gave me additional things to consider/research. Just by listing out the various sizes/features/specs was helpful to me. I can definitely see how someone new to tenting could struggle selecting a tent.

sigpic

Comment

I just compared the Limelight to the Tungsten and they look like they could be the same tent. I think you should be happy with it. Keep us posted.
                        Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                          I just compared the Limelight to the Tungsten and they look like they could be the same tent. I think you should be happy with it. Keep us posted.
                          I did the same comparisons (over and over and over...lol). Don't think one could go wrong with either of these Marmot tents.

I beat the heck out of comparing these two tents in the store. Had them set-up at REI (along with the REI Half Dome Plus). My son and I crawled around inside them. Put pads in them and laid down. Through it all, the sales dude at REI was patient with me. lol.

I think the REI guy's comment about Marmot phasing out the Limelight series and going to the Tungsten series was correct seeing how these are so similar. Also, he indicated that REI will not be getting in any more Limelights.

If REI had the Limelight available in the green color instead of the just the orange, I might still be flip flopping on my decision. The Limelight's a great tent from what I saw and hundreds of past reviews online seem to agree. Hopefully the new Tungsten series will also end up being a great line of tents...I'm about to find out...one way or another. Thanks for your feedback Kingquad - Happy Camping to you!!!

sigpic

Comment

Really like to here how you like it after you use it.
                            Thanks
                            Jack
                            Thrift store tent
                            Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

They are all great tents of high quality. As you know (and we discovered), you cannot fit three 25" self-inflating sleeping pads in a 3-man tent. But most of the time, the 20"-ers will fit!
                              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X