Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size cover?

Hi
    We're newbies to popups - or any sort of trailer. We just bought an A-frame Flagstaff. It's still sitting on the lot for another week or two while we buy a tow vehicle (new Outback) and get it fitted with hitch, etc.

I'm not sure what size cover to order for it for while it's stored. Truthfully I'm obsessing abt this.) The specs say it's 12'. The covers come in 10-12' or 12-14'. Is there a preference? Is it better to get the smaller one which fits snugly and doesn't blow around or a larger one that gives it more breathing room? Or am I just being silly?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: What size cover?

You are better with a snug one.

I don't cover my travel trailer, but do take it in yearly for preventive maintenance checks that include the roof.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

IMHO, the snug one could end up being a touch too tight and impossible to get on the trailer. However, the larger one could have too much play which could lessen the protection. I'd start with the snug, but be prepared to have to do an exchange.

I never covered my trailer nor do I cover my class C. But, as Actad mentions, yearly maintenance is important. These are the things I do:

Each fall (before the rains hit), I do an inspection of all windows, seams, and rooftop. I look for signs of worn, damaged, or deteriorated caulking/seals. If any issues are found, I recaulk/reseal EVERYTHING.

After the first rain of the season, I go out and do a full inspection of the RV, looking for signs of water intrusion. If any issues are found, I recaulk/reseal EVERYTHING (exception is if I had just recaulked/resealed before the rains - then I will just recaulk/reseal the area at issue).

After any big storm (whether in power or length), I go out and do a full inspection of the RV, looking for signs of water intrusion. If any issues are found, I recaulk/reseal EVERYTHING (exception is if I had just recaulked/resealed before the rains - then I will just recaulk/reseal the area at issue).

When it comes to covers, I find three issues with them: 1) they can be impossible to put on by one person and difficult with two; 2) they tend to offer a false security to the owner and the RV is left unattended for an entire winter only to find it has extensive water damage in the spring; 3) it gets in the way of doing things with the RV while it's parked in the yard/driveway.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

One thing I learned the hard way by covering my car is that the covers trap moisure and keep everything inside dark. I took the cover off my car after several months to find that everything inside the car was covered with mildew.

Comment

I would instead suggest a "portable garage" which is essentially a vehicle-sized shade canopy. Well-secured with concrete weights and tie-downs, it will provide the UV protection you need without the moisture accumulation you don't want.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
          X