Oark Mountain Car Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oark Mountain Car Camping

I am going on a 3 week road trip this summer in July and I am looking for camping ideas in the Ozarks and or Appalachian mountains . I visited the Ozarks in the 70's and do not remember anything.

We leave from California the second week of July and want to make a loop through Ozarks and Appalachian mountains. My concern it the heat. My wife has already set aside this time and does not want to change. I think the 'Zarks would be great in the fall.

I am looking for dispersed camping ideas as well as remote places to visit. We prefer traveling on back roads. I found a forum where a man and his family traveled across the US using Google bicycle maps to keep them on back roads.

Our final destination is to the Creation Museum in Kentucky.

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas.

Mark
    Last edited by markkee; 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Oark Mountain Car Camping

I do not know anything about the Ozarks, but I do know a few things about Appalachia and The Creation Museum.
    A good remedy for the summer heat while camping is elevation. One of our most enjoyable trips was in the Mt. Rodgers (5700' elv.) area of far southwest Virginia. There should be some beautiful back road travel through Kentucky along the way. I do not camp in the heat, but took an August trip to Grayson Highlands SP a few years back. The temperature was a humid 88* or so. By the time we arrived at the campground it was around 76* and breezy. Dispersed camping can be had throughout the Washington and Jefferson National Forest. The Appalachian Trail and Virginia Creeper trail and in the area. Maybe a good eastern loop would be Mammoth Cave KY, work your way through the Daniel Boone National Forest KY, Through the Cumberland Gap KY/TN, on to Mt, Rodgers VA, up to Breaks Interstate Park KY, then on to The Creation Museum outside of Cincinnati OH.
    The Creation Museum is really a top quality place to visit, nothing cheesy about it. It can be a bit overwhelming with the amount of cool things to look at there.

Comment

I can't really add much about routes or camping areas, but would suggest scheduling a cave tour or two. During the heat of midday, an hour or two doing a walking tour in the 50 degree temps of a cave is a nice respite. There are several good ones in the Ozarks (Arkansas and Missouri) and of course in Kentucky. If you want more specifics, just PM me.

Check out Blanchard Springs Caverns within the Ozark National Forest. Camping of course is available with the forest and close by the caverns. http://www.fs.usda.gov/osfnf/

You could also do a tube float trip with the family while you are in that general area of northern Arkansas on the Buffalo National River. There is also camping available there. Beautiful area. http://www.nps.gov/buff/index.htm

And of course in Kentucky, you can and should tour Mammoth Cave National Park if you plan on being in that area. They have multiple different tours, both in length, time underground, and to different parts of the cave. I have been on most of them. The campground is ok, the cave is fantastic with a lot of history. If you do decide to tour Mammoth...make your reservations online well ahead of time - tours in the summer are almost always sold out - sometimes weeks ahead depending on the tour. http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

Check out Blanchard Springs Caverns within the Ozark National Forest. Camping of course is available with the forest and close by the caverns. http://www.fs.usda.gov/osfnf/

You could also do a tube float trip with the family while you are in that general area of northern Arkansas on the Buffalo National River. There is also camping available there. Beautiful area. http://www.nps.gov/buff/index.htm

And of course in Kentucky, you can and should tour Mammoth Cave National Park http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm
        Great info. Thanks for the links. I think the trip is a go for us. I ordered an 82 quart ARB fridge freezer and plan on installing a Fantastic Fan roof vent to keep us cool at night.
        sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=a65hoosier;37960]During the heat of midday, an hour or two doing a walking tour in the 50 degree temps of a cave is a nice respite.

I suggested Mammoth Cave because it would be a good stop along the way, I suppose that is the other way to stay cool ,going underground. Plan for special precautions regarding White Nose Syndrome if you plan cave tours. July around here is more about the humidity, so planning midday activities to cool off and your fans at night will go a long way. Keep posting as you think of things and I may could help you dial in a successful trip.

Comment

Originally posted by CMPR1966 View Post
            A good remedy for the summer heat while camping is elevation. One of our most enjoyable trips was in the Mt. Rodgers (5700' elv.) area of far southwest Virginia. T Dispersed camping can be had throughout the Washington and Jefferson National Forest.

The Appalachian Trail and Virginia Creeper trail and in the area. Maybe a good eastern loop would be Mammoth Cave KY, work your way through the Daniel Boone National Forest KY, Through the Cumberland Gap KY/TN, on to Mt, Rodgers VA, up to Breaks Interstate Park KY.

The Creation Museum is really a top quality place to visit, nothing cheesy about it. It can be a bit overwhelming with the amount of cool things to look at there.
            Great tips! I planned a month long trip 2 years ago by posting on this forum. Better to learn from others.
            sigpic

Comment

I just looked at your web site. This may help if you do not know about it already.
              freecampsites.net

Comment

We are leaving for the Ozarks in May of 2016. Looking for any traveling tips and places of interest. We have a 15 passenger van and will sleep in it most of the time.
                sigpic

Comment

My plans are firmed up for a super cross country trip going through Arkansas. We took ownership of a 15 passenger Ford E350 van and am slowly converting it to a stealth camper. I have 2 folding platform beds, ARB fridge freezer, and a lot of room.

We plan on spending a week in Arkansas touring through the northern Ozarks.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll check with some of my cybergrrls who live in/near AK and see what they have to say; I haven't been to Arkansas yet.
                    PS- do you know what month you are going?
                    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-07-2016, 05:55 AM.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

"Mt Rodgers 5700'". That ain't a mountain! Lol
                      Nights camped in 2019: 24
                      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Can't help you much with camp grounds, but, we live in Western KY, a few hours away from the Ozark region. The weather can change drastically from one day to the next, so, pack for anything. Normal weather, the heat itself usually isn't too bad, but, the humidity is what will get you. It can be 85 degrees, but, feel as if it's in the upper 90's, or worse. Staying well hydrated is the best way to deal with it. Light cover at night, with air flow helps to sleep better.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                          "Mt Rodgers 5700'". That ain't a mountain! Lol
                          OK - we're jealous over here in the east. They're certainly not the Rockies, but we work with what we've got! :D

Comment

Working...
                          X