Backyard Permanent Camp Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backyard Permanent Camp Set Up

Ok I have 5 acres of land to work with on my property. I am wanting to set up a permanent camping site somewhere on it. This will be for tent camping and will do a good amount of camp cooking even if we do not set the tent up to sleep outside. The purpose of this site will be to get away without actually having to go away. Just wondering if others have done this and what setups they have done. Looking for ideas and if you have pictures would be even better.

Re: Backyard Permanent Camp Set Up

I would look at doing a permanent lean to type set up. Kind of type you would see on some of the major trails like the Appalachian or Pacific Coast Trail. You should not expect ANY tent to last as a permanent structure. Maybe something like this, or search "lean to" on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjACFd24tno
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Like KingQuad said, tents aren't really made for long term setups. I don't know what your budget for this project is, but if you've got the cash, I would look into buying a small yurt. (Or maybe even a not-so-small yurt.) They're like a cross between a tent, a teepee and a cabin and are definitely better suited for permanent and semi-permanent situations.

Comment

I would focus on a nice fire pit with benches/hewn logs for seating. You could add a grate/grill for cooking on the fire. Then to one side, you could build a brick/stone outdoor stove. Add a lean to for food and gear storage next to it.

Then you could either build a lean to or yurt for sleeping quarters or pull out the tent from the storage and set it up whenever you choose to stay at camp.

I know someone who built a really nice fire pit on his property. He says he spends more evenings outside by the fire than he does in the house.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

This is more of what I was talking about. This is going to be fairly close to the house so getting materials to and from camp will not be an issue. I would not be leaving a tent up the whole time.

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I would focus on a nice fire pit with benches/hewn logs for seating. You could add a grate/grill for cooking on the fire. Then to one side, you could build a brick/stone outdoor stove. Add a lean to for food and gear storage next to it.

Then you could either build a lean to or yurt for sleeping quarters or pull out the tent from the storage and set it up whenever you choose to stay at camp.

I know someone who built a really nice fire pit on his property. He says he spends more evenings outside by the fire than he does in the house.

Comment

I have a set up like that at my house. I could help with a few things that work great for me. Before I do I will have to first point out something you may not have thought of. I have a sorta love/hate feeling about having my own campground at home. There is definitely more love then hate.
            LOVE: I get to enjoy being out doors more often sine I do not have to pack up and go somewhere.
            I never forget anything when camping or have to decide to not bring something because I don't have the room.
            I always have a clean place to go brush my teeth.
            It's a great place to have friends and family over for hot dogs and smoores and sit around the fire.

HATE: Sitting there relaxed by the fire and hearing my wife say "do you want to work on that (insert two day project here)
            while your camping out this week end?

Our space is just far enough away from the house that I don't really see it that much, but is close enough that we can still have good access to the fridge and pantry. I started with a permanent fire ring I built with stones and mortar. This is good because nobody can knock the stones loose and I can safely put a grate across for cooking. I also built a sturdy 8 foot picnic table. We often go out there to have lunch or a watermelon or something. You need things to do as well, we have a large wooden playground structure, a tire swing, and a 100 foot zip line all close by. You can also do corn hole, horse shoes, volleyball or whatever you like. This helps if a family brings their kids so we can have some time to just sit and relax. Probably the most important suggestion I have is to have some kind of storage close by. This will save you from running back and forth from the house or garage all day. You need something to keep plates, cups, hotdog forks, chairs, matches, cleaner, paper towels, and all sorts of other things right there. I suppose you could just carry out a couple of storage tubs when you needed to, but you would probably use the area more if it was already there. My storage is a 21 foot travel trailer that I have had there for the last 10 years or so. It also makes a great place to sleep for an unplanned camp out on a Friday night.
            Sorry to be so lengthy, but I do really like camping at home

Comment

I agree with having a storage set up at the site. Even though it's a short hop back to the house, it will drive you nuts every time you forget something and have to walk all the way back.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

When people are saying "lean-to" do they mean like Adirondack shelters? I'd like to build either a gazebo or an Adirondack shelter in my yard, as well as a permanent fire ring and a table/bench.

I do yard fires now and then. I had to move the rocks when I started the addition on my house. I havent fixed a new one up yet. The dream idea at some point is doing a bermed 4 foot retaining wall surounding the fire area, with built in bench for seating along the wall, and perhaps a built in cooking fireplace. Saw some in books and online that looked good.

Comment

You can also do corn hole
                  Um, no thank you - I'm straight.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                  X