Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 season tent help

Hello everyone!!

I'm new on here and thought I'd check it out. I'm huge on camping and try to go as much as possible. I've had a Coleman Helios tent for 4~5 years and the poles are starting to break and I'm having trouble finding replacement poles, so I'm looking into getting a newer tent and wanted your opinions on what you use.

What I'm looking for is a light weight backpacking , 2 person, 4 season tent with vestibules for my gear. I don't have a lot of money to spend so if you know any sites with sale, clearance or coupon codes it would be appreciated.

Thanks and hope to hear from you!

Re: 4 season tent help

Hi Tmaida17 and Welcome to the Forum!

I know that there are some winter campers on here. Not sure how many use lightweight backpacking tents for winter camping however. I know some use Kodiak canvas tents, which are definitely not lightweight. I also know of one individual that has a Marmot 2P Thor, which has a weight of about 8lbs and lists for $529 (can usually find on sale).

I have a Field & Stream Cloud Peak 4P that I "stole" for $110 via an eBay auction. It is rated and built as a 4 season tent with 6 aluminum poles in a strong hexagonal dome structure. Good fabrics and waterproofing ratings. It is, however, not lightweight as it come in close to 20lbs.

As far as your question....my suggestion would be to scour the internet for online retailers that are running sales/clearance specials. Also, sign-up for the retailer's email/newsletter/insider's offers which will get you additional % off an item or your first order.

Some examples (there are additional ones, but here's a few I've used) and a few 4 season tents I found on their sites while I was copying and pasting the links. NOTE: suggestions only....these may be out of your price range or not meet your requirements....but it should get you started.

Sierra Trading Post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/dealflyer/ offers closeouts and clearance prices on tents. If you sign up for their DealFlyer program, you will be regularly (and I mean all the time-lol) send you coupons to save 30%, 35%, 40% or more off items.

Many other retailers will give you a % off discount for your first order with them:

Backcountryedge http://www.backcountryedge.com/enroll.aspx offers a 20% discount on one full-priced item on your first purchase for signing up for their insider edge program (it also gives you access to special deals throughout the year). Multiple 2P 4 season tents listed.

Campsaver http://www.campsaver.com/service/newsletter offers a 15% discount on your first order for signing up for their newsletter. Multiple 2P 4 season tents listed.

L.L. Bean https://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...headeremail-hp As of today, I received an email coupon for 25% off my entire order, free shipping.

Taking a look at their 4 season tents, right now they have a Mountain Hardware Tangent 2P 4 season tent (5lb 9oz) listed for $450. 25% off would bring it down to $338. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/81473...ductId=1365104

They also have their brand 4 season tent: the Backcountry 2 person dome tent (9lb) listed for $399. 25% off brings it down to $300, free shipping. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/74635...ductId=1230500

Cabelas also offers a series of 4 season tents. I located their Expedition 2P tent (9lb, 4oz) currently on sale for $249. It includes 4 aluminum poles and decent weatherproof materials. This really seems like a decent tent at a reasonable price. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104303880

Also listed is an XPG Expedition 2P tent (10lb 9oz) currently listed for $349. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104303880

Cabelas also offers good customer support and warranties on their stuff.

There are other retailers out there that do similar programs-gotta look around. Also, you can watch eBay and see what might be out there, but be aware that you may wait a long time for a specific tent to be listed on that site. I've found that seldom does eBay have a "deal" on what I want "right now". You have to watch....sometimes for a long time. You may also not get much of a deal unless it is being sold by an individual or in used condition, which I don't recommend. Depends on your needs, timing, and much of the time...luck.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

If the tent is still good and it's just the poles that are the problem, Tent Pole Technologies will save you a bunch of money over the cost of a new tent. If you can't figure out what to order by using their website, they can talk to you on the phone to figure out what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        If the tent is still good and it's just the poles that are the problem, Tent Pole Technologies will save you a bunch of money over the cost of a new tent. If you can't figure out what to order by using their website, they can talk to you on the phone to figure out what you need.
        Thanks for the Tent Pole Technologies link. I never knew that place even existed, but it will be bookmarked and otherwise archived for future reference.
        Mike Hampton
        If it's "it is," it's "it's" otherwise it's "its."

Comment

Wanting a backpacking tent that is light, 4-season, and inexpensive is a tall order. One feature, by definition, excludes the other(s).

First of all you need to define terms. What is lightweight, 40 oz, 4 lbs, 10 lbs?
          The same goes with a budget...$100, $200 $500? $1,000?
          Does the 4 seasons you'll backpack in include heavy snow loads?
          How about high winds above the timberline?

When I think of 4-season use, I think of a tent being able to handle a 12" snowstorm without collapsing under the weight. You have to decide where you want to be on the risk curve. I'd rather get a tent I can rely on when it's 5F and a foot of snow than wonder whether you're going to survive your adventure because you got a cheap tent that wasn't really 4-season.

Now is a good time to buy because tent dealers and online stores are or will be having sales on 4-season tents.

Happy to help but need more information. Here are a few below to consider:

Black Diamond (BD) Stormtrack
          BD Squall
          Big Agnes Flying Diamond
          Mountain Hardwear Tangent
          Eureka K-2 XT
          Marmot Thor
          Eureka Alpinlite XT

Backcountry.com has a good selection of tents
          Last edited by wiiawiwb; 02-26-2015, 08:29 PM.
          Moss Big Dipper
          Alaskan Guide 8
          Alaskan Guide 6
          NorthFace Tadpole 23
          ALPS Exteme 3
          Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

http://jolly-green-giant.blogspot.co...ason-tent.html

Comment

Please do keep in mind that there is no such thing as a four season tent. There are three season tents and there are winter tents. With a good sleeping system, you can use a three season tent in winter, but a "Four Season" winter tent is a miserable beast in summer.

I camp in temperature extremes from -40 below F to 105 above F. I do it all in three season tents - mostly because I dodge the expense of the winter tent by having a very good sleep system.

HOWEVER, some of my friends have hot tents and I have camped with them and it is wonderful if you don't mind schlepping nearly 60 lbs of tent and stove. There are some excellent hot tents - canvas tents that accommodate stove pipes and are designed/constructed with the expectation that the tents will be used with a wood burning stove. They cost around $1,000+ and the stove is several hundred dollars extra.

If I was going to spend money on a dedicated winter tent, I would get a nice canvas hot tent with a stove.

I don't know what winter camping is like where you live, but here in Wisconsin, we have snow in winter, so I always pull my gear on a toboggan over the snow. I never backpack my gear on snow. Thus, I can pretty easily tote 90+ lbs of gear with me. If you have a hot tent with a wood stove, you do not need a gas burning stove or fuel, so you can save that space and weight.

Comment

Some excellent responses here - can you provide more detail (where are you camping, expected temps, weight considerations, cost considerations...) Do you need wind resistance, snow bearing capability, hurricane-proof, or what? Technical hiking (I'm guessing not) or just trail hiking? Details, son, details...

It really depends on how far you are willing to compromise, and on what. How did you like the Helios?
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

can you provide me more details and good terrains on camping and tips.

Camping for tent Philippines

Comment

can you provide me more details and good terrains on camping and tips.

Camping tent for sale Philippines

Comment

Working...
                    X