Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping on the banks of a public lake in Texas, legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping on the banks of a public lake in Texas, legal?

I live in Hewitt TX (Near Waco) and am planning to and took days off to go camping in two weeks at lake Waco, only to find out today that the 2 major parks are closed until March 1.

I have a cabin sailboat that is comfy enough to spend a few nights in, but I prefer camping in a Tent.

Ive read the legal from the Texas Parks and Wildlife site.

Which says a member of the public may engage in a variety of activities in, on, and along a public lake or stream. Besides boating, persons may swim, float, walk, wade, picnic, camp, and (with a license) fish.17 These activities must be confined to the waters of the lake or stream and the stream bed.

Lake Waco is a public lake,
    So on the face of it, it looks like I should be able to camp anywhere along the shore of the lake as long as I dont venture up onto public land..

There are a few small islands in the lake, which I think would be nice, anchor the boat nearby and get to the island via dingy and camp there for the night.

Anyone ever try this?

Re: Camping on the banks of a public lake in Texas, legal?

I am not from Texas, but can share some typical camping rules with you. As a general rule, the only places where you can camp "anywhere" is USA federally owned national forests (Not national parks or wildlife preserves.). Some state and county forests and even some local parks will allow free range camping IF YOU GET WRITTEN PERMISSION FIRST. Typically, you have to tell the state, county, or city approximately where you plan to camp. Have the permit or letter with you when you camp.

Camping on islands is highly restricted due to the impact on the environment. A few places allow camping on river sandbars, but you need to check first. My experience has been that camping on islands is one of the surest ways to get fined.

It is not difficult to get an accurate answer to your question. Call the park service that is responsible for the area you want to camp. One phone call usually gets the answers you need. If they say camping is not allowed, ask them if it is allowed by special permit and ask how to get the permit. If the answers are yes, you can camp with a comfortable mind. If not, you save yourself a ticket and a hassle.
    Last edited by Mike; 02-27-2015, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Texas has always acted like it's own country, with it's own rules, so the Federal guidelines might not apply. I would take Mike's advice and make some phone calls before venturing out.

Comment

Texas should expand west and California secede to it! You have to have a "permit" just to camp overnight in our SoCal National Forests, and you can't have a campfire, anywhere, anytime, outside of a you-pay-$ developed campground with fire rings: "Wood and charcoal fires are allowed "only in developed campgrounds and developed picnic areas within designated fire rings. Campfires are not allowed outside developed campgrounds and developed picnic areas at any time of the year." - Cleveland National Forest.
        Last edited by tplife; 02-27-2015, 12:13 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

According to the letter of the law, in Texas you can camp anywhere on the bank of any non private lake, provided you don't go out of the lake area and on to private land.. It seems pretty cut and dry, I guess I could just print out the law and keep it with me incase anybody questions it..

Comment

March 1st comes before your trip in 2 weeks. Did you mean April 1st, otherwise there is no problem.

Comment

I would contact which ever local agency manages that land/water
              As it can vary greatly
              As for islands also need to check who owns that island
              Can have privately owned islands even on public lakes

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                March 1st comes before your trip in 2 weeks. Did you mean April 1st, otherwise there is no problem.

The OP actually posted on February 16th, but the post was delayed.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I agree with the consensus - call the appropriate service and get the official word. It's much easier to change your plans before you head out than it is to change them when the authorities are tapping their toes saying "get out now".
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                  X