Looking at a new trailer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at a new trailer.

I'm thinking bout getting a trailer. I want to get one which is between 28-30 ft.
    I want a tow behind. If budget wasn't a limitation, what would you go for?

Re: Looking at a new trailer.

For me wasn't so much as budget as what floor plan worked best for my family's needs and budget fell second . And just purchased my first brand new grey river 26Dbh limited lots extras for the cost as I searched for weeks. So far only thing I felt was lacking is the stabilizer jacks were very cheaply made so will change those out soon.

Comment

Whatever you decide on, I would avoid any trailer with a slideout. Awesome when they work, a nightmare when there are problems. Trailers require enough maintenance without them, why add to the list of potential problems?

Comment

It really depends on how you plan on using it:

How long at a time? If you're only spending up to 2 weeks at a time in it, then you don't need the same amount of space as if you were going half- or full-time.

Where? Are you going to stay at RV Parks? Or do you want to stay in government campgrounds? For the latter, smaller is better. Many state parks only allow up to 27 feet. It's not always about if the RV can fit in the spot, but often their roads are narrow and unpruned, so there isn't enough clearance for larger RVs to even get into the campground.

What amenities do you want? Are you looking to just sleep "off the ground" or are you looking for an indoor getaway? That will help you figure out what you need to look for. Things like an outdoor kitchen, generator, etc.

For me, I had an 19 ft trailer to use on short trips. I found it worked great for the 4 day trips (or longer), but wasn't great for a quick overnight. I now have a 21 ft class C that works for both the 4 days and the quick overnights. Once I retire, I'm thinking I'll get a small (under 18ft) trailer for road trips - I like the idea of dropping off the trailer at a campground and then leaving in the SUV to see the sights.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

While I like my 14ft Dutchmen, I would get an Airstream if money was no object.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

With something that big, may we assume you'll be bringing the wife and kids along? She will make her needs and wants known, and may not be too willing to compromise or 'rough it'. But depending upon intended use, the smallest required is generally best.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Whatever you decide on, I would avoid any trailer with a slideout. Awesome when they work, a nightmare when there are problems. Trailers require enough maintenance without them, why add to the list of potential problems?
              I've had 5 trailers since the year 1999. Three pull-behinds & two 5th-wheels. Four of these trailers have had slideouts & I've never encountered a problem with any of them. I highly recommend a slideout/slideouts because they really open up the interior & just raise the comfort level. Truly a bonus in my opinion. As far as maintenance goes, my 2008 Chevy Duramax requires more maintenance than all the trailers I've ever owned combined.

Originally posted by nightowlgear View Post
              I'm thinking bout getting a trailer. I want to get one which is between 28-30 ft.
              I want a tow behind. If budget wasn't a limitation, what would you go for?
              So.....What would I go for ??
              Floor plan that best fits your needs.....that can be legally & safely pulled with your tow vehicle. A 28-30 footer will actually be 31-33 feet, tip of tongue to rear bumper. I'm assuming you have at least a 3/4-ton HD tow vehicle, preferably a diesel. Speaking from experience here, pulling the bigger pull-behind trailers with a 1/2-ton gas truck is just hard on them. Depending on the terrain in your area, these newer gas motors aren't made to rev at 5000-6000 rpm while ascending a steep pass & their not geared for it either. Rear suspension starts to sag, rear axle/wheel bearing wear quicker & rear tires wear much quicker. In my opinion, E-Rated tires are a must for towing camp trailers. Now lets talk dry trailer weights. The dry trailer weight from the manufacturer is underrated. The reason being, this weight is taken from one of the first units built at the factory with standard equipment. The dealers don't order the basic standard equipment trailers, they order standard equipment trailers with all the creature comfort options that they know we the consumer want. More options = more dry weight. Also, slideouts = more dry weight. Seven or so years ago most pull-behind trailers had 40 gallon fresh water tanks & I've noticed over the past couple years that many of them now have 90-100 gallon fresh water tanks. Add another 10 gallons for the hot water heater. So roughly 900-1000 lbs of water being carried on some of the pull-behind trailers. Just passing along some of my personal observations & info I've gathered from my experiences throughout the years, so enough of my rant. I would suggest hitting a local RV Show. Great way to get all the trailer info you'll ever need & you'll get to compare numerous trailers in the same day. Look at the numbers, do the math, & make a good sound safe decision. Good luck in your search & keep us posted !!
              2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Budget matters in any case. If not, I would suggest an actad's advice.

Comment

Working...
                X