New Knife/ What do you carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Knife/ What do you carry?

Well, I ordered a new camp/hiking/hunting knife. More of a general purpose knife. I went with the Mora (Morakniv) Companion HD. I read a lot of good reviews about it, course one day before it shows up, I find out it has a rounded spline instead of flat spline. That sucks, cause you need a 90 degree angle to strike a ferro rod. But it looks like I can grind the spline flat. May have to look into that, I don't want to damage the knife. Since I don't have a pic, I will post the amazon link, so you know what I am talking about.
    Just out of curiosity, what do you carry?
    Amazon Link
    http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Compa...ion+heavy+duty
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: New Knife/ What do you carry?

Benchmade Griptillian D2 steel.
    When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
    Six hundred pounds of sin
    Was grinning at my window
    All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Carrying a good knife has always been somewhat of a curiosity to me. Years ago, I bought a really nice Buck folding blade. Great carbon steel blade, brass and walnut handle nicely crafted... and found I almost never used it. It's truly an heirloom quality knife but, for some reason I was always reaching for the Swiss Army knife when I needed to cut something. Are there some uses for a knife that I've been missing for the last 40 years? I know I've heard people say you can chop small branches with a good blade, but I have a hatchet for that. And I know all about striking a fire with the back of the blade of a carbon steel knife, but neither of those things add up to my wanting to carry the big blade.

Comment

I have multiple knives
        generally prefer a fixed blade 90% of the time
        even when I have larger fixed blade usually also have a folding knife or two in my pack
        this has been my favorite knife for the past 3 years or so

I do have a swiss army knife given to me by my relatives in Switzerland, but never use it,
        lots of features but none of them very good at individual tasks
        I mostly use the knife for tasks around camp
        cutting cord, cutting canvas,
        cutting river reeds down to use as bedding, tinder, etc..
        if branch is small enough I break it by hand,
        if its too large usually have something more specific for cutting branches
        on occasion use it for some wood working around camp, like making a spoon or utensils
        but #1 reason I carry a knife is for the sense of security it provides,
        kinda like feeling naked without one
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
          ...#1 reason I carry a knife is for the sense of security it provides,
          kinda like feeling naked without one
          Oh... ummm... I cover that with a little thing called a Mossberg 500. :p

Comment

Kershaw, Leek. These are super awesome...

Comment

I use mine to cut paracord.
              When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
              Six hundred pounds of sin
              Was grinning at my window
              All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

I carry a Schrade auto as a utility knife.
                http://youtu.be/b4cGf_PmRno
                And a Light hunter set by Knives of Alaska for field work.
                FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

ESEE 4 on my belt and an IZULA on my neck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	esee-4-orange-delvis-sagtandad.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	69993Click image for larger version

Name:	izula-5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	69994
                  Moss Big Dipper
                  Alaskan Guide 8
                  Alaskan Guide 6
                  NorthFace Tadpole 23
                  ALPS Exteme 3
                  Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

I carry several on any given day. When working I carry 3 or 4, depending on if the Leatherman is included. I seem to use one or more about every day working. One, a Gerber clip knife, its main purpose is to be easily used one handed, like when up on a ladder or otherwise unable to use both hands. It clips on the leg pocket on my Carhartts, and has a nub on the back of the blade I can use to flick it open easily. I also have a Swiss Army Supertinker. Nice general purpose knife, not too large to pocket carry, nothing on it I havent used many times (and no corkscrew!). I use it quite a lot. Also have a new found appreciation for a Buck 112, the slightly smaller brother of the common 110 model. Beautiful knife, very well made, if a bit heavy. I use it quite a lot, and its my best restaurant knife if I need a knife for eating. The blade on the Leatherman isnt much of a knife, I'd as soon have another tool on it as the knife blade. Its serrated in any event, a feature I find little use or affection for. When in the mountains where the bears live, the Buck stays home or in the truck and I carry a medium size Randall made knife on my pistol belt, because reasons. Its a beautiful knife, ivory micarta (synthetic) handle, aged out nicely to a mellow amber color, stainless blade with partial clip point. Id rather it was carbon blade, but I accept it for what it is after about 30 years of having and carrying it.

I'm truly surprised anyone can get through a day without a knife. I use one or several of mine nearly every day. Sometimes, such as working, if I need one for something coarse, I use it (somewhat trashing the edge) and still have another one handy when I need a truly sharp blade. Even not working I seem to use them frequently.

No, the tools on a Swiss Army or Leatherman arent the best tools for any particular chore, but they are often whats on hand when needed, and can get the job done without taking the time and effort to go get another "better" tool. Its often done before the other tool could be fetched. I mainly got a Leatherman so I'd have the pliers for pulling porkypine quills out of my dogs, but find I use it ALL the time for all sort of things.

I keep my blades tuned up with an Eze Lap diamond hone (round one with the brass handle). If they arent shaving sharp, they need a tune up. Even the stainless Randall blade sharpens easily with the Eze Lap hone.
                    Last edited by Malamute; 02-27-2015, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      Oh... ummm... I cover that with a little thing called a Mossberg 500. :p
                      Well, a Mossberg 500 isnt as easy to carry as a knife, or pistol. :D

Comment

Aren't Mora Knives of laminated steel? I would def. check on that before grinding away.

I'm still carrying a Spyderco Bill Moran like last time we had one of these threads. I carry it all day everyday and cuss when I reach to use it and do not find it.

Comment

Originally posted by howl View Post
                          Aren't Mora Knives of laminated steel? I would def. check on that before grinding away.

I'm still carrying a Spyderco Bill Moran like last time we had one of these threads. I carry it all day everyday and cuss when I reach to use it and do not find it.
                          Mora knives uses three different varieties of steel, depending on the knife: Laminated Steel, High Carbon Steel, or Stainless Steel.

The Companion HD uses carbon steel (no laminate) and can be sharpened easily according to Morakniv: http://www.moraofsweden.se/adventure...-heavy-duty-mg

From the picture in the above link, it looks like the Companion HD has a flat spline.
                          Last edited by a65hoosier; 03-05-2015, 02:49 PM. Reason: fix link
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post

From the picture in the above link, it looks like the Companion HD has a flat spline.

No, the spline is curved. I couldn't strike a ferro rod on it to save my life.
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I carry a Dermasafe. You can get one for a dollar or two :-)
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X