Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Cot Tent

Hey everyone,

I have a BIG cot that I picked up for deer camp or weekend trips to a friend's cabin when all the beds might be taken.

I was surfing the web the other day and stumbled across this product:
    Teton "Quick Tent" Cot Tent

This tent is marketed as something which is supposed to go over my cot. However, my cot is 40" wide and 80" long. The reviews state that this doesn't cover the entire surface area of the cot.

I know where to get fabric, fiberglass poles, plastic clips/fasteners, etc., but sewing a tent together seems like a pretty big undertaking. I feel like it'd be best to just pick up a cheap tent (maybe a return item that's a little beat up?) and modify it to fit the surface of my cot?

It seems like there are a lot of considerations to make when constructing a tent like roof angle, pitch attachment points, even fitting a fly to it.

Has anyone here sewn or modified a tent to get a specific footprint? It'd be pretty cool to rig my cot up so a tent could sit on top of it--kinda like having a cot tent, but with the tent part optional.

Thanks,
    Cog

Re: DIY Cot Tent

I looked into having a custom tent made years back. Most boat cover companies that I know of can custom sew canvas to your specifications. It most likely won't be cheap, but it can be done. You could also check with commercial awning companies to see if they can put something together for you.

Comment

I have a Coleman Ridgeline cot that is 75"L x26"W. I nearly got the Teton when one of the outdoors store chains had it on sale - I really liked that drawstring open and close feature. When I was ready to buy, the tent went off sale early - their site said through Labor Day, yet the price changed the day before.

Instead of making a big deal about it, I bought my second choice - the KampRite Insect Protectant (IPS) cot tent. I suspect I got the better deal. It is taller and does not slope to the same degree as the Teton.

Kamprite IPS specs

Tent top: 84" x 28" x 40"
      Bed Size: 78″L x28″W x 30″H
      Folded Size: 14″L x 6″W x 6″H
      Weight: 5 lbs.
      Ship Weight: 6 lbs.

It is the right length for you, but it is narrower than the Teton. But, you could rig a tarp to use as an awning with the rain fly and have a bit of the cot to use as an entrance to the tent. Or, since you were ready to sew up something anyway, this could be starting point for you. The advantage over the Teton is that the KampRite IPS is is a more conventional shape to build upon.

http://kamprite.com/shop/accessories...on-system-ips/
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Actad hit on something. What about borrowing a page from the hammock campers notebook and running a ridge line between 2 poles. Stand the poles up at the head and foot of the cot. Run a ridge line between the two poles and string a tarp across the ridgeline. It would be pretty simple. I use a Kelty Noah 12x12 tarp when I hammock camp. Might not be what you have in mind (or end up doing), just a little outside of the box.

You might want to consider cost of store bought vs DIY cost labor, material and design. You can always get coupon's and shop around to find the best price.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

i started making my own tents
          for sizing have to go back to HS algebra, for estimating lengths, not difficult to size up once you remember the formulas,
          my question is where do you plan on using it? indoors at friends cabin? outdoors?
          also why? is it to keep elements out? bugs? both?
          harsher the elements, more secure you want it to be,
          in a simple manner can just drape tarp/canvas/material over a ridgeline,
          ridgeline can be with poles or if your between 2 trees , tree to tree, also can be strung up to branches above without poles
          for rain/condensation if covering is not tight, it will sag and moisture will gather and eventually drip inside,
          this is an example of canvas tent/hammock i used , top comes down to as additional cover and have it up as an awning during the day,
          no poles, strung between 2 trees
          had lots of extra canvas as i was sizing it up
          Last edited by terasec; 02-09-2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

You might find the MYOG (Make Your Own Gear) section on BPL (Backpacking Light) helpful. Tips on correct seams, design considerations, materials - all very useful. If I had a sewing machine I would try my hand at it.

There is something very satisfactory about using gear that you designed and made yourself.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
            X