Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trip through Lassen & Redwoods (Avenue of the Giants?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip through Lassen & Redwoods (Avenue of the Giants?)

Howdy,

I'm new here, but have signed up due to great results using other types of forums to get my questions answered.

I plan to be trailering a 18 ft travel trailer through Lassen and the Redwoods with my family this summer. My wife and I have been to both areas as children. My son hasn't been to either.

My wife wants to spend two nights at each park. We are going to Lassen first and then the Redwoods. I was planning on driving from Lassen to Eureka/Arcata as it appears to be the most direct route.

From looking at the map, I can see the Avenue of the Giants is quite a bit south from the rest of the Redwoods. We will be heading North from the Redwoods afterwards into Oregon. Would those of you who know the area well advise taking the time to visit the Avenue of the Giants?

If you only had 2 nights in both Lassen and the Redwoods, what would be on your "must see" list? Any campground suggestions?

Thanks for your advise,

Jeff

Re: Trip through Lassen & Redwoods (Avenue of the Giants?)

I have been to Lassen a few times. Make sure you go to Manzanita lake. It's gorgeous. The top lakes are cool too, but Manzanita is particularly nice. You can do a little catch/release there if your into fly fishing.
    Bumpass Hell is cool and all, and a short hike, but pretty stinky given that it's the sulfur pits...

The one thing however to watch is they don't seem to be dog friendly on the trails (if your a dog owner).

The Avenue of the Giants is worth seeing, for sure. Not quite as awesome as Kings Canyon/Sequoia down south but worth the stop.

Comment

Re: Trip through Lassen & Redwoods (Avenue of the Giants?)

Originally posted by nightowlgear View Post
      I have been to Lassen a few times. Make sure you go to Manzanita lake. It's gorgeous. The top lakes are cool too, but Manzanita is particularly nice. You can do a little catch/release there if your into fly fishing.
      Bumpass Hell is cool and all, and a short hike, but pretty stinky given that it's the sulfur pits...

The one thing however to watch is they don't seem to be dog friendly on the trails (if your a dog owner).

The Avenue of the Giants is worth seeing, for sure. Not quite as awesome as Kings Canyon/Sequoia down south but worth the stop.
      Thanks for the reply. I am starting to think I'll camp at Manzanita Lake in Lassen and maybe Prairie Creek State Park on the north coast. I was considering some private campgrounds to ensure the battery stays charged. I'm not sure how many days I can get out of the battery on my camp trailer. We shouldn't use too much power. I converted to LED lights, but know the furnace could use a lot of juice if we need to fire it up.

I've decided, I want to drop off the trailer on our first day in the Redwoods and drive the Avenue of the Giants and as best as we can and spend the second day and start of the third in the northern section. My wife wants to go to Trees of Mystery and I've read Howland Hill Road is a pretty cool drive.

Comment

Working...
      X