Campgrounds close to Fort Collins, CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campgrounds close to Fort Collins, CO

We are going to Fort Collins in September to visit our neice (Her idea of camping is sleeping on the sofa). We have looking for a campground that allows tents. Other things on the wish list is campfires allowed, and would really love to have trees. We are in Indiana so we probably shoul camp below 8000 feet.

I have contacted a few campgrounds I found online that said they take tents, but they are not now.

Is anyone familiar with the area? We could really use some recommendations.

Re: Campgrounds close to Fort Collins, CO

That's about 45 minutes north of me. How long are you going to be camping for? If it were me, I would make a reservation at horse tooth res. It is a big lake just to the west of Fort Collins.
    Horsetooth
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...&parkId=710105

Now at Lory State Park it is Tent only. Fires are going to be a game time decision. Depending on drought conditions, we could be under a fire ban. You could call the campground a few weeks before to find out on fire conditions. You cannot bring firewood from out of state, but you can buy it here. I would check Lory out.
    http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...O&parkId=50030

One word of advice, if you are planning on using a campground, make reservations ASAP. Campgrounds fill up quickly here in CO. If you just want to chance a camping spot, you are going to be screwed. The two I referenced are close to FT Collins. If you don't mind driving a bit, check out Red Feather Lakes. I camp up to 10,000-11,000 no problem. It is still warm and better yet, no humidity! Let me know what else you need to know,
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. We will check into Horsetooth. We only can stay Monday-Wednesday so we need to stay at the lower altitude.

Lory looks like a great park, but we are not equipped to hike in. We understand if there is a burn ban, we would like a campfire if permitted. We have the same rule for firewood here.

Comment

I just wanted to say thanks again 05Kingquad700 for the advice to make reservations early. We went online to reserve the spot we picked out at Horsetooth as soon as we could and the spots around it were already booked. I felt lucky to get the spot we decided on.

Comment

Glad I cold help and hope you enjoy your stay. Horse tooth is beautiful.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
          X