• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermos product review

for christmas wife got me thermos brand 24 hr thermos
    wow am i impressed, so much so figured i share
    9;30 am filled it with hot water for my trip up north,
    6 hrs later steaming hot for instant coffee(yea instant, i like the convenience)
    12 hrs later i had steaming hot broth,
    after leaving it in the car for most of the night with -16 temps put it the house
    following morning 24 hrs later had steaming hot coffee with it,
    24 hrs part of it being left in -16 cold, it was still steaming hot,
    this item will now be a regular part of my gear in my outings,
    i like the idea of filling it with hot water and not just coffee, soup, etc.
    so have the choice of coffee, tea, broth, hot cocoa.

Re: thermos product review

Nice. How many ounces does yours hold?

Comment

i believe mine is a 40oz,

Comment

Nice Thermos Terasec! The Wife done good! Really like the dark blue color.

Once upon a time, I had an older large Stanley vacuum bottle. The kind with the glass inside. Used it often. It kept liquids hot for a long time. Then I dropped it on the driveway one morning and heard the shattering of glass inside - so bummed. I still have a smaller old Stanley, but it doesn't hold nearly enough...which limits the usefulness.

I'll have to take a look at replacing it with a Thermos. I see they now use stainless steel as the inner vessel/container which should make it durable.

Thanks for the review!!!
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

difference in levels that i could describe is,
          of course first fill up boiling water
          6 hr point still felt like boiling hot,
          12 hr maybe not boiling but still hot enough where you have to let it cool to make it drinkable, burn your tongue hot
          24 hr point it was still steaming when poured it into the cup but wasnt burn your tongue hot, more like drinkable level hot
          they do make a larger 68 oz size which would be good if staying in car/truck, but wouldnt want to carry it around,
          40oz seems about right, i have one of those insulated coffee mugs with a top, got 4 cups of those which i guess are about 10oz each

Comment

Just a small hint if people haven't heard it before. Before putting your beverage of choice in a stainless steel lined vacuum bottle (Thermos is a name brand LOL), it helps keep things hot longer if you preheat it with hot water. That way your coffee (or the aforementioned beverage of choice) doesn't have to do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Just a small hint if people haven't heard it before. Before putting your beverage of choice in a stainless steel lined vacuum bottle (Thermos is a name brand LOL), it helps keep things hot longer if you preheat it with hot water. That way your coffee (or the aforementioned beverage of choice) doesn't have to do the work.
              i did do that prior, just hot water from the tap while water was boiling,
              makes sense, try to minimize initial heat loss as much as possible

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                lol...You are correct MacGyver! :he: I fixed. Preheating and/or precooling (esp in coolers) really extends the time things stay hot and/or cold. Good tip. I do it all the time in the morning when packing my son's Spaghettios for his school lunch.
                Last edited by a65hoosier; 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM.
                2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X