Solar charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solar charging

I did read some reviews that many of the bigger portable solar panels can take 9 hours to charge an adroid phone. I just dont see how that is practical unless you are desperate for being connected to the phone/net while you are hiking remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      I did read some reviews that many of the bigger portable solar panels can take 9 hours to charge an adroid phone. I just dont see how that is practical unless you are desperate for being connected to the phone/net while you are hiking remotely.
      I could see business people trying to get started with hiking, but still are unfortunately needing to remain connected to the world!
      Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        I don't have any experience with small panels, but I do know from researching to get my setup going that panel efficiency is up quite a bit from just a few years ago. The folding panels like the largest in the Brunton Solaris line, while very expensive compared to a rigid panel, put out plenty of juice to get a phone up to speed in just a few hours.

Comment

What is the wattage on that thing? It seems like it's a pretty low wattage charger.
          I found that you need at least a 14w charger to be useful in charging batteries for flashlights or a phone.

Comment

Another option I just came across: SunJack 14W Portable Solar Charger With 8000mAh Fast-Charge Battery. 4 panels, weighs 2lbs. $150.

http://www.amazon.com/SunJack-Portab...ywords=sunjack

YouTube view/review:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5N0eD6n4s
            Last edited by a65hoosier; 02-13-2015, 08:41 AM.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
              Another option I just came across: SunJack 14W Portable Solar Charger With 8000mAh Fast-Charge Battery. 4 panels, weighs 2lbs. $150.

http://www.amazon.com/SunJack-Portab...ywords=sunjack

YouTube view/review:
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5N0eD6n4s
              This stuff is getting really cool. In a few years it will be really cool and affordable. The price is already something that I am considering.

I also saw this light in the 'frequently bought together' section: http://smile.amazon.com/SunJack-Camp...KE3P6ES4M8QJJM It is a LED bulb with a switch that will plug into any USB port for power. At $15 I am getting one for the tent. I already have a external battery that I can charge in my truck during the day and will use to power this light in my tent at night.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Although a cool and convenient configuration the panels built into the backpack don't seem practical. Too likely to damage them. Has anyone been using one much and can report on that? I have a 14 watt folding solar panel that cost $60. It has straps so you can hang it off the back but it's cumbersome and subject to damage. The soft covers scratch easily and smashing or bending can crack a panel. Since the best solar technology is only capable of capturing about 18% of the available energy of sunlight you need a lot of panel surface area to be effective in conditions where you may be avoiding being in the sun. With a bigger folding panel when not moving on the trail you can set up to charge devices or put power into a battery bank or both. There is a standard adopted that phone circuitry limits charging to no more than 2000 mAh so a 14 watt panel is a pretty good match for that. The one I have has two USB outputs. 2000 mAh is also the max you can get from either port. Connecting two devices will divide the power which is actually less than 14 watts. Solar panels are always overrated. 2000 mAh will charge a near dead Galaxy S4 in about an hour.
                Last edited by Element 79; 11-08-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I was attracted by the first pic :he:.
                  Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

I experimented with back-packable solar charging but rapidly became dissatisfied by the weight complexity and the large number of cables... for me Nimh AAs and a solar charger was better.

I assembled an ~8 watt briefcase solar trickle charger to keep the Jeep camping battery alive and it has done pretty well.. not really packable (unless you use horses) though.

Enjoy!
                    Attached Files
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I just ordered a Suaoki 20 watt solar charger. It has 3 panels that fold up quite small...1 &1/2 inches thick by approx 7x11 inches...less than 50 bucks. It looks nice and I am hopefull this will suffice for my android phone, nook and/or power bank. It has decent panels & claims 'smart charging' capabilities.

Comment

Backpack looks good. I will have to check it out.

Comment

Anyone try Goalzero? Seems they produce a lot solar power products. But I found it a bit expensive.

Comment

I investigated Goal Zero and found their products to be largely good and well designed, and apparently their warranty/customer support is very good. The prices put me off;equivalent or better setups can be built for much less, at least for some of the battery & inverter combinations.
                            ...They used to/might still, attempt to justify their prices with some story about trying to support electrifying the third world (Africa).

Enjoy!
                            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                              I investigated Goal Zero and found their products to be largely good and well designed, and apparently their warranty/customer support is very good. The prices put me off;equivalent or better setups can be built for much less, at least for some of the battery & inverter combinations.
                              ...They used to/might still, attempt to justify their prices with some story about trying to support electrifying the third world (Africa).

Enjoy!
                              Thanks for your information.

Comment

I drool over the Goal Zero stuff but choke on the price. To be fair I have never heard anyone say they aren't happy with it.

That being said I am working on a homemade version. Obviously not for backpacking.
                                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X