Solar charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar charging

So I've been experimenting with a backpack solar charger http://goo.gl/liq8o3 on the last few hikes I've made this winter. While it is the time of year in Washington where there isn't much sun, I've had a few good days to take it out and put it through its paces. So far I'm liking the fact that I can stay out for a few days, but am still able to charge my camera and gps if need be. As of late, I've been plugging a rechargeable battery pack into the panel to charge. Charging 3 AA batteries takes about 2 hours in good sunlight. Anyways it's pretty handy. I was wondering if any one has found a good integrated solar backpack that works well. I've read that most of them don't work very well and I wanted to ask for some input!
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Re: Solar charging

How about this configuration?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	voltaicbackpack1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	69990
      Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

Haha thats amazing!
      What I was thinking was something like these lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearspoke View Post
        What I was thinking was something like these lines.
        Oh. My Bad.

Comment

Haha, no I loved your photo, I almost busted a gut thinking about the weight!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post

“I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

if your staying out a few days, are you just with that small backpack?
              few days out for me would be a larger pack, and that daypack wouldnt do me much good,
              if your headed back to a car every night would just charge everything from the car,

Comment

Haha, no I loved your photo, I almost busted a gut thinking about the weight!
                Try to keep in mind that I'm sarcastic as hell. Someone would call me (and have called me) a bit batty. If I had money they would just call me eccentric, so I just pretend that I have money and go with eccentric.

Originally posted by James. View Post
                Oh yeah!

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                ...just charge everything from the car
                Before solar power costs got within reach of poor people (like me) that's how I used to do it. But, as it turns out, buying even a small solar setup is cheaper in the long run versus running a car to keep things charged. Solar also eliminates the possibility of draining the car battery down to where the car won't start. Unfortunately, I've done that, too - thankfully, not when I was out on a solo trip.

Comment

If camping in the woods. I wonder how much charge you would get without getting direct sunlight???

Comment

Happy weekend everyone. What are your weekend adventures?

Comment

I find that battery packs work well and reliably. Most can fully charge an iphone or Samsung phone 5 or six times on a single charge. Two battery packs last me 5 days rain or shine.

Considering weight, bulk, cost and reliability, I would be very interested to know if we have reached a point where solar power trumps battery packs.

For me, the only thing I really need to recharge is my android phone. I like to have my android phone with me during the day while I am hiking or boating or fishing or skiing for communications and photos/vids. I would not want to leave my android phone on a rock somewhere connected to a solar panel for charging. I usually do my phone charging at night while I am sleeping by using a battery pack.

The battery packs work even when it is cloudy or rainy or night time. They cost around $30 and if my battery pack is freshly recharged, they will recharge my phone about 5 times. They are about as big as a lunch box Juicy Juice package (palm size) and weigh about 10.5 ounces.

Has anybody here found or heard that solar power is better than battery packs, all things considered?
                      Last edited by Mike; 01-18-2015, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        I find that battery packs work well and reliably. Most can fully charge an iphone or Samsung phone 5 or six times on a single charge. Two battery packs last me 5 days rain or shine.

Considering weight, bulk, cost and reliability, I would be very interested to know if we have reached a point where solar power trumps battery packs.

For me, the only thing I really need to recharge is my android phone. I like to have my android phone with me during the day while I am hiking or boating or fishing or skiing for communications and photos/vids. I would not want to leave my android phone on a rock somewhere connected to a solar panel for charging. I usually do my phone charging at night while I am sleeping by using a battery pack.

The battery packs work even when it is cloudy or rainy or night time. They cost around $30 and if my battery pack is freshly recharged, they will recharge my phone about 5 times. They are about as big as a lunch box Juicy Juice package (palm size) and weigh about 10.5 ounces.

Has anybody here found or heard that solar power is better than battery packs, all things considered?
                        I guess it boils down to length of time in the field. If you only need a few days worth of power, I'd agree that battery packs would be more convenient. If you are going to be out for a couple weeks (which I often do) a solar charger would make more sense. There is also the possibility of using battery packs in conjunction with a solar panel as well. If you can get a panel setup that has the proper voltage output for charging the particular battery, they would make a great combo for your electronics.

Comment

I guess it boils down to length of time in the field. If you only need a few days worth of power, I'd agree that battery packs would be more convenient. If you are going to be out for a couple weeks (which I often do) a solar charger would make more sense. There is also the possibility of using battery packs in conjunction with a solar panel as well. If you can get a panel setup that has the proper voltage output for charging the particular battery, they would make a great combo for your electronics.
                          I read somewhere that the preferred method for using solar panels is to use the solar panel to charge a battery pack and then use the battery pack to charge phones and other devices. Apparently, the solar panel output is irregular and possibly not good for charging the devices.

Comment

Apparently, the solar panel output is irregular and possibly not good for charging the devices.
                            I know a decent quality 12 volt panel can put out somewhere around double that in full sun, so I would imagine the 5 volt panels for cellphone and similar small items are just as capable. Can you say fried? LOL

Comment

I read somewhere that the preferred method for using solar panels is to use the solar panel to charge a battery pack and then use the battery pack to charge phones and other devices. Apparently, the solar panel output is irregular and possibly not good for charging the devices.
                              It comes down to the quality of your converter. Really nice converter will have no issues charging smaller devices, but I think that charging your packs with the solar panels is the best idea. In the field, it's best to have a power source, but also a storage system for the power you are generating. If the sun decides to go away, or it storms and you are forced to cover or dismantle your panels, having that stored power will save your butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X