Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Central Illinois

Greetings everybody!

Having grown up out west, I'm a bit spoiled when it comes to camping, but I'm always just happy when I get the chance to camp at all. In north central Illinois, there aren't a lot of options that I"m aware of, but have had an enjoyable time at Kankakee State Park and Kickapoo State Park. We plan to try out Clinton lake, but are there other decent options in the area that others know of?

Thanks in advance.
    Ben

Re: North Central Illinois

Hey there Pastor Ben!

First time posting
    I've only been camping in the area for a few years now but besides the one you mentioned I really enjoy taking a little extra time driving(an extra 20 minutes or so) and make my way to forest glen nature preserve right off the Indiana border. Lush landscapes of tiny gorges galore! I really enjoyed hiking here because of its hilly and untamed landscape, made for quite the adventure. I haven't been in a few years, but when we last went we went on a 10 mile backpack hike and found a spot off the trail that was serene and safe and camped out for the night. It may not have been a designated camping area but we were modest with our approach and upheld a strong reverence for the land, so I see no harm no foul. Its hard to find a truly primitive camping area nowadays, you always have to be in one of there designated areas and even the primitive sites have seen too many other hands to present the challenge and thrill of a true grassroots camping experience. Not just camping for luxury or to get away, but also too survive. We found that this preserve was challenging, beautiful, and really rewarding. I recommend it to all who are in the central Illinois area, good ole fashioned fun. Middle fork is another really fun one to go to, not as big but they offer swimming in the lake which is always nice, the campsites are quite modernized but still great for tent camping. Enjoy this beautiful season ahead mate!

Comment

Re: North Central Illinois

Starved Rock is a fabulous park / camping spot in north Central IL!

Comment

Working...
      X