How long do tents last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do tents last

In general how long do you use a tent before getting a new one. I realize there is no rule for this but a general amount before replacement. I have a Kelty Grand Mesa 2. So far has worked well. I ask because a friend was out camping with me this past summer and we had really nasty thunder storm, rain going sideways. His tent leaked quite a bit, I was fine, his tent much more used than mine. His was name brand I think it was a Marmot much more money than mine but much more used. Oh Iam talking about 3 seasons tents only. 2 man ones which I think are 1 man.

Plus tent pricing still puzzles me. I see other tents from Kelty and other makes and there prices can go really high. I then compare how much they weigh and how big they are and many aren't lighter or bigger than mine but there price goes double or triple. I then look at material but I not an expert on material so maybe its there material that is so much more costly? Sure a little more for more doors as mine has only one. I got my current tent on sale for right around 100 bucks. So if and when I get a new tent why spend so much more money for the same size tent that weigh about the same. For me weight doesn't matter as I just kayak camp. BUT size does.

Re: How long do tents last

It is no surprise that tents, like anything else, have a longevity based on how much they are used and how well they are taken care of. Sand, sun, and improper storage are propably the biggest factors in the life cycle of a tent.

The easy rule is that you know it is time for a new tent when your existing tent fails to keep the rain out. I have a 30+ year old Eureka Timberline that gets used about 25 days per year and is still going strong. I have seen other Timberline tents that don't last a decade because they are left outside in the sunshine and harsh weather that thins out the fabric and kills tents. Good tents and cheap tents die at the same rate if not properly maintained.

There comes a point where the fabric just gets too bleached out and too thread bare to save. There is a point where no amount of seam seal or waterproofing will make a tent reliable in a storm.

Tent and other camping/backpacking equipment pricing has the same saying as bicycles: "lightweight, strong, cheap; pick two" In other words, you can never have all three. Lightweight + strong = expensive.

Just like bicycles and parts, some tents have a very high brand premium; yes, maybe better than other tents, but not so much better that they warrant such a big additional expense. There are some folks who think that $700 to $1500 is not a lot of money for a tent. For them, tent purchasing is simple because they need only look for the very best tent with the features they want. For others with a budget in mind, tent buying becomes more complicated because they must weigh advantages and features and quality vs cost.

A good way to think when buying a tent is to ask yourself how many times you think you will use the tent. Most people will say that they will spend at least 30 nights over the life of a tent - more for other folks and less for some folks. Let's just say the answer is 30 nights expected in the tent (three nights per year for ten years). A $500 tent then comes to about $17 per night. That is not bad compaired with even the cheapest of hotels, especially considering that the tent puts you in the middle of beautiful nature and protects you from the hostile side of nature. If you want the per-use cost of the tent to be less, camp more!

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself how much a night of misery is worth. IF you were sitting in cold puddle of water inside your tent with your sleeping bag acting as a cold sponge and your family crying that they want to go home and even your dog miserable - how much at that moment would you be willing to pay to change that circumstance? Would you ever say, "Oh, God, I wish I had spent the extra $250 for a better tent and be dry". That answer may seem obvious, but I do know some people who would choose the misery to save money. For me, though, I like to be dry when I sleep and I like to hear the sound of rain on my tent knowing that I will remain dry and comfortable no matter how much it storms.
    Last edited by Mike; 01-09-2015, 02:10 AM.

Comment

99% of that depends on you. If you treat your tent well, don't abuse it, it will last a long time. Just like your car. Take care of it and change the fluid and you will get 300K out of it. Don't take care of it and it will fall apart.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Ok I camp around 10 to 15 days a year. So far my Kelty Grand mesa 2 tent has worked great. Going on third season this coming 2015 summer.

Now as far as up keep on the tent. not sure exactly what that would be as iam rather new to camping. After each outing when I bring it home I put it up on a nice day and clean it out of any grass/dirt inside and make sure its fully dry. After that I roll it up loosely and store it inside the house at room temp in a closet away from any sun plus its in the bag the tent came with.

One thing I do is before I go camping I spray the tent with that bug stuff Sawyer Permethrin, not sure if that hurts the tent material.

No family to worry about while camping its just me in the tent.

BUT like I said tent prices still seem crazy to me. Yes I get it about light weight and strength BUT how to judge strength is another question. Like I said my grand mesa 2 is very close in size and weight of tents costing triple. So either they are way stronger than mine or iam missing something? Materials is were I dont no anything about, my fly is 75D Polyester 1800mm coating and the main tent is 68D polyester taffeta/Polyester No-See-Um mesh and floor is 68D Nylon 1800mm coating.

Is there waterproofing spray I should spray the FLY with?

Talking only about 3 season tents as 4 season tents are a whole other animal.

Comment

Just make sure it's totally dry and clean when storing it. Seal it once a year, use a footprint and no shoes inside. Avoiding totally sun sites, I have used my Sunrise 11 for at least a dozen years and it's still going strong.

Just maintain it diligently.

elliot

Comment

I had a old Coleman that I used a few times. I made sure I took care of it and always made sure it was dry when I placed it back in the bag. I think I had it about 8-10 years. I recently got a kelty as I needed a bigger tent.

Comment

I have a 25 year old canvas tent,that loves bad weather. Stored dry,a decent canvas tent will last a very long time.

Comment

Look at the lineup - companies like Kelty and Eureka! include tents of the quality you can buy at any WalMart or Target store. But models like a Timberline or the US Military contract tents are high-end...and expensive. Other companies like Sierra Designs, NorthFace, Mountain HardWear, MSR, Big Agnes, REI, EMS,and Marmot don't mix low-quality tents in with their models. The former companies are baiting you with low prices and their "good name", while the latter are for customers who understand that you get what you pay for. Either route can land you a tent that will last at least two decades, but no amount of care for your tent will overcome thin, too-few poles, cheap tarp flooring material, thin polyester or nylon fabric, lack of welded seams, dual-wall construction, outdated designs lacking wind or rain integrity, etc.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

First, where was the leak in your friend's tent coming from? If it was the FLY, I would recommend that your friend use a seam-sealer (you can buy this at any outdoor retailer or even Wal-Mart in the camping section) and "paint" the seams of his rainfly. This will re-seal the holes made in the fly by the manufacturer when they sewed multiple pieces together.

If it was leaking through the walls, I'd make sure the rainfly was adjusted properly.

To answer your question of how long a tent lasts...

Depends a lot on the use and how they're maintained, as has been mentioned.

I have a TexSport brand tent I got in the 90s (fits up to 4 people, 3 screen windows, 1 door, and rainfly). Rainfly still works well despite me not having done any maintenance. Admittedly, this tent has seen mild use (e.g. yard camping) as opposed to backcounty camping. My only issue so far is that one piece of the fiberglass poles broke after my sister borrowed the tent, but this was repaired with a $5 "tent repair" kit from an outdoor store.

I have been using a Kelty Gunnison 3.1 tent for about 4 years now. Backcountry, cabin yards, etc. and no damage yet.

Things you can to do increase the lifespan of your tent include:
                  • Removing sticks, sharp stones, etc. from underneath your tent before you place it.
                  • Using a "footprint" under your tent - this is a protective piece of fabric which prevents rocks/sticks from poking through the underside of your tent. They special make these for most tents and some come with them nowadays, but you can also get a $5 blue tarp and cut it to size. ([i]If you make your own, cut it a few inches short on each side of the tent - the purpose is to protect the tent floor and not much goes on around the edges of the tent!!! If you do NOT cut it short rain water might pool on it.)
                  • Application of seam-sealer on rainfly seams or tent seams when warranted
                  • Light cleaning when you get home; rinsing mud off the fly or tent itself, brushing out dirt/debris, etc. and hang dry inside the garage (exposure to ultraviolet light from sunlight can cause synthetic fabrics that tents are made of to break down)

When looking at a tent, a lighter tent is not always worth the extra $. Tents usually have a thick floor (a bath-tub style floor is great for keeping out water!) and a thick rainfly. Some hikers count the ounces of the gear they carry but probably also treat it very, very, very kindly. Heavier fabric on the floor of the tent and fly means it is thicker and more durable! You can pay a lot for brand and weight reduction.

Keep it simple. Upgrade only when you have to! Look at reviews and buy something that's easy to set up, has a good design (look at the rainfly doors - will water fall down on you or your gear when you open it?), and is above all else in your budget.

Comment

Like everyone said, most of it depends on you. My mom had an ancient Coleman that lasted eons with little maintenance. We camped 10-30 nights per year but didn't wear shoes inside, packed it dry, wiped dirt off, stored it in a dry place.

My better half had a Eureka for 25+ years. It's still functional, we only retired it because the zipper is touchy and the kids would probably tear it up without much effort.
                    Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
                    Nights under the stars:
                    2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
                    2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Use it until it dies or you find something you just cant live without.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

The two biggest factors affecting tent life are sunlight and kids.
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                        X