Does anyone brew their own beer? or wine, or mead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone brew their own beer? or wine, or mead

I helped a friend do the first part of beer making once a year ago. And it has had me interested even since. And I love good beer. I ended up getting a small 1 gallon kit (no, not a mr. beer) just recently , and I am waiting for it to come in. I am really excited and can't wait to dive in.

Re: Does anyone brew their own beer? or wine, or mead

Personally no, but on a grand scale getting to help brew beer at a microbrew in my hometown yes. It was a lot of fun! Word to the wise give the used barley to livestock, they love to eat that stuff when you are done. Let me know if you need any tips, I am always happy to answer any questions regarding home brewing. Just remember I did this on a grand scale, so I'm sure we could Macgyver and think about what to use as a substitute.

Let me know how it turns out!
    Visit www.gearspoke.com for all of your rental needs!

Comment

Well, I'll be starting with extract kits till I get the hang of the process. So I may or may not have any spent grains. It depends if any come with the kits. Later, after I get a knack for it, I'll switch to all grain. However it would be VERY small amounts compared to what you are thinking. My brew kit is for 1 gal. Not the 5,000 gallon kettles at your friends brewery.

On another note, I knew that most breweries will sell their spent grains to farmers for pretty cheap. I was really angry when I saw the FDA wanted to prevent that from happening. http://tinyurl.com/qbcghtd

Comment

I have a friend who did it in his bath in the house he lived in for college. It is probably not very sanitary and he told me that some batches were much better than others although that could just be poor ability to follow a recipe.
        A community for camping and outdoors enthusiasts: Camping Babble

Comment

Working...
        X