Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflective Guyline Comparison - 4 brands go head to head

Hello my fellow campers...

After spending many camp trips dodging guylines, and sometimes failing miserably...I decided to take the time this winter retying the guylines that came supplied with my equipment with reflective guylines. Not sure why some tent/equipment manufacturers insist on using black cord for lines. I've tried hanging reflective things on my current lines, white strips of cloth, you name it...and I still clothesline myself up high or trip over the line down low near the stakes. So before I damage myself or my equipment, I plan on replacing the lines on 2 of my tents and a Kelty Noah 12 tarp with lines that are highly visible during the day...and light up at night when hit with the beam from my headlamp.

Before I got started on my little project, I thought it might be interesting to do a comparison on 4 different brands that sell reflective guylines and share some pictures/information/thoughts here. I purposely selected line colors that would be highly visible in the daytime (except for the Nite-Ize..which is green...but it is a popular and well known brand, so I included it).

NOTE: I have attached links to Amazon, but you may be able to find better prices doing your own searching. Also, the product packaging pictures I show below (except the paracord) are from the internet...not my own as I couldn't seem to get good clean detailed photos of the packaging with my phone camera.

Although there are other reflective guylines out there, such as:
    Kelty TripTease Lightline - Reflective Cord http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M0NVGW/...5FY1HTIP&psc=1
    Sierra Designs Reflective Guyline Kit - http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Designs...signs+guylines

I ultimately settled on the following 4 and ordered them up:

Mr. Paracord ™ Reflective 550 Paracord Type III 7 Strand Parachute Cord

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJD8PFO/...XWMOAF39&psc=1

Orange. $11.97 for 100 feet. 7 strand nylon with polyester sheath. 5/32 diam (~4mm). Break strength advertised at 550lb. One very thin single strand of unknown reflective tracer woven into the polyester sheath in a spiral pattern (Amazon photo shows 2 strands of reflective tracer-hmmm!)

MSR Reflective Utility Cord Kit

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0075JKAAO/...WD73VZE6&psc=1

Red. $19.97 for 49.2 feet...kit includes 4 aluminum cam style line adjusters. Not sure if this is nylon (per Amazon description) or polyester (per Cascade Designs-mfg website). 3mm diam. Unpublished break strength. One wide strand of reflective tracer woven in a spiral pattern along with 4 additional metallic strands woven alongside the reflective strand.

Equinox 3 mm Reflective Nylon Cord "Viper"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TADG60/...I1DKPI89BCBZ83

Yellow. $15.01 for 50 feet. Nylon cord. 3mm diam. Advertised 150lb break strength. 2 medium wide stands of 3M reflective tracer woven in a spiral pattern...and an additional 2 medium wide strands of the same reflective tracer woven the other direction in a spiral pattern...essentially forming an X pattern.

Nite Ize Reflective Cord

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MMEHTC/...UOVRKDVK&psc=1

Green. $9.93 for 50 feet. Nylon cord. 2.44mm diam. Unpublished break strength. One very wide (the widest among these 4) single strand of reflective tracer woven in a spiral pattern.

In my next post later tonight, I will provide some close-up photos of the actual lines side by side to show the braiding and the woven reflective tracers. I will also post pictures of the lines illuminated in my garage only by the flash of the camera at various distances/angles to demonstrate the reflective qualities of each line...(sorry no actual camp site photos of the lines in action-too cold outside-lol). Thanks for looking and stay tuned...
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Re: Reflective Guyline Comparison - 4 brands go head to head

The following are close-ups of the actual lines showing the braiding and reflective tracer (the lighter gray bands woven throughout):

From Left to Right...Mr. Paracord, MSR, Equinox Viper, and Nite-Ize.

From Top to Bottom...Mr. Paracord, MSR, Equinox Viper, and Nite-Ize.

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I would say less beer would probably help the clothesline situation, but that would make me a hypocrite. :he:

Great little study you did here. I wish I'd thought about reflective cord before I went and bought 3 packs of fluorescent green paracord. As it is, I have enough unused gear sitting in bins and on shelves.

Comment

And finally some pics of the lines side by side "lighting up". All pics in my dark garage...the only light is from the flash from my phone camera.

In all pictures, from Left to Right...Mr Paracord, MSR, Equinox Viper, Nite-Ize.

From 8 feet away...slightly to the right:

From 12 feet away..straight on:

From 8 feet away...slightly to the left:

From 16 feet away...straight on (pardon the dirty car trunk deck-lol):

Although the pictures may not accurately demonstrate, the Mr Paracord, with it's one thin strand of reflective tracer, was the least reflective of the bunch. There is not much difference between the MSR, Equinox Viper, and the Nite-Ize lines. I would give a slight edge to the Equinox Viper line overall in terms of reflectivity.

I plan on using the Mr Paracord as the replacement line for the Kelty Noah 12 tarp. It's thicker (4mm vs 3 mm) diam, higher lb break strength than the others, and the 100 ft length will be well suited for the 6 minimum lines needed for the Kelty tarp. The visible orange color will be especially beneficial during the day when I spend more time around/under the tarp. I have aluminum 2 hole adjusters that work well with the thicker 4mm line.

The MSR and Equinox Viper line will be used to replace the lines on my CloudPeak 4 and Slumberjack Trail Tent 6 tents. For me...tent time is night time and the high nighttime visibility of these lines should be of a benefit after the sun goes down and headlamps come out. The use of the included cam line adjusters should work better for securing these 3mm diam lines.

I bought some additional generic cam line adjusters on Amazon to complete the project on my tents: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFVYFY6/...I3BHZNAIXU67OG

What of the Nite-Ize? I will use it as auxiliary line for the Kelty Noah in case I need to tie off additional line in case of strong winds. The green color makes it more difficult to see during the day.

Remember...reflective guyline (any brand) requires the light source to be lined up with your eyesight. That is why a headlamp will light this line up...whereas a flashlight held at waist level doesn't produce much glow.

Thanks for looking gang. I hope you found this useful. Comments or questions always welcome.

Brian

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          I would say less beer would probably help the clothesline situation, but that would make me a hypocrite. :he:

Great little study you did here. I wish I'd thought about reflective cord before I went and bought 3 packs of fluorescent green paracord. As it is, I have enough unused gear sitting in bins and on shelves.
          I'm trying to have it all!!! lol...more beer, less clotheslining. :he:

I hear you on the gear. I have quite an accumulation also, but generally only use my "favorites" or use specific pieces depending on the season/how long/where we're going, etc. Some of it I loan out to friends or family (functional stuff, but not my favorites)...or I end up outfitting the whole group if it's the family reunion. lol

And Thanks! Just trying to provide some interesting information to my fellow campers.
          Last edited by a65hoosier; 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Where do you put the batteries in the Viper cord? That stuff really lights up!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Where do you put the batteries in the Viper cord? That stuff really lights up!
              I had read some real positive reviews on the Viper cord, so I decided to try it. lol...for the cost (it's the most expensive "cord only" of the bunch), it ought to come with batteries. Definitely lights up big time. Has to be the X pattern. I'm looking forward to getting it tied on and out into the woods.

sigpic

Comment

Excellent report, Hoosier!

Comment

Here's a shot of how the stuff lights up with a camera flash. Same thing with an LED headlamp. It will save you a LOT of tripping over guylines at night. Still have to pay attention in daylight. This is the MSR stuff:

Comment

hwc - Nice pic! It was a couple of your pictures I had seen earlier of your Marmot and the guylines lit up like lasers that got me motivated to switch out my lines. That, and several instances of tripping and clotheslining myself this past summer.

Unless you are stealth camping, reflective lines seem beneficial and should help prevent injury to yourself and/or your equipment.

sigpic

Comment

Great Information.

Comment

I have read that the reflective tracer in paracord is made of glass and can cause abrasion damage over time. Do you know if this is true or have you noticed any wear at all from taut lines on your tarp/tent? I think you could probably mitigate it by tying off to another loop of regular cord instead of the actual tarp/tent fabric. (Although the nylon tie-off loops on tarps/tents seem pretty heavy duty, no need to hasten quality gear's trip to the graveyard...)

Comment

Originally posted by Cog1 View Post
                          I have read that the reflective tracer in paracord is made of glass and can cause abrasion damage over time. Do you know if this is true or have you noticed any wear at all from taut lines on your tarp/tent? I think you could probably mitigate it by tying off to another loop of regular cord instead of the actual tarp/tent fabric. (Although the nylon tie-off loops on tarps/tents seem pretty heavy duty, no need to hasten quality gear's trip to the graveyard...)
                          Cog1 - Interesting. I cannot locate any information that the 3M threads used for reflection in all of the above woven cords contains glass. Maybe glass is used for reflection in cheaper cord? Can you provide a source link? I'd like to read it.

I have personally not noticed any abrasion problems using cord with reflective tracer. Many of the reflective cords such as Kelty Triptease, Glowire, Nite-Ize, and MSR have been around for several years. If there were abrasion issues in using these products, those problems should be easily located doing internet searches. I really could not locate anything about this being an issue out on the web searching various forums, etc. Not to mention all the slit wrists from making bracelets from reflective paracord.

Several of my tents already have reflective guy out webbing points on the fly (Marmot) which would/could cause abrasion to regular guy out line if the webbing reflective material was an abrasive (an opposite of what you mentioned - but following the logic the reflective webbing should cause damage to plain cord). Many other high quality tent manufacturers (Big Agnes, MSR) actually include reflective guy out cordage for use with their tents. I assume they have tested this fully since abraded/cut guy out points would be a huge hit on their "lifetime" warranty policies.

Melting the ends to prevent unraveling went smoothly with all of the brands above. The reflective 3M thread appears to be either polyester or nylon or a combination material-somewhat like a plastic strip....regardless, it melts easily into the cord material. The reflective thread is rougher than the polyester and/or nylon sheath threads woven around it, but I do not think of it as abrasive. It's the plasticy edge of the 3M strip that one can occasionally feel, but it's not sharp enough to cut.

That said....

I use metal carabiners to quickly hook up additional reflective guylines to the grommets on the Noah 12 if needed due to high winds. On the end points, or corners, of the Noah (where I use adjustable poles), the guylines are looped over the tip of the poles and guyed out and staked. I never tie off directly to the nylon tarp loops or the extra grommets that run along the sides of the Noah---only because I am a slow knot tyer---and have found having my additional guy lines ready to go with carabiners to be a faster solution should a storm/wind event pops up. Due to how I set this up, I won't have an abrasion issue.

On my tents, however, I just tie off the reflective guy line/cord directly to the reflective webbing on my tent's guy out points. Unlike my set-up on the Noah tarp, I could have abrasion issues (if it is an issue) as the cord is tied via bowline knot to the guy out point. I suppose I could also use a metal carabiner here or use your suggestion of an additional regular nylon cord loop and tie off to that.

I will definitely monitor and watch for any abrasion issues on my tents guy out points this upcoming season and report back here should I find anything unusual or alarming.
                          Last edited by a65hoosier; 04-10-2015, 06:29 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Nothing on Spectra reflective guylines?
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

This is an informative and engrossing thread and I thank @65hoosier for writing it. It's obvious that a lot of time and thought went into the project.
                              I purchased 20 meters of Ace Cord's 3mm reflective paracord last year and restrung most of the guylines on my Paha Que screen tent. It certainly made a huge difference in visibility and walking near by. Also seems to have discouraged those who like to walk thru the campsite. Conversely for the first time ever I tripped over a non reflective guy line on my Eureka......
                              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                              X